The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2011, 06:46 PM   #1
llsspratt

Need some advice

Hello My Name is LLoyd
I am 45 and live in florida.
I am new to reloading and have read the manual that came with my press.
I have a 30-06 rifle that I would like to reload ammo for. I purchased a Dillion 3 die set which includes a crimp die. I am not sure if I should be using the crimp or if this set of dies can be used with out using the crimp die? I bought this set up from a guy and I thought he was pointing me in the right direction but I am not so sure any more. I have looked on the internet for information but am still a bit confused. I am firing the ammo out of a Remington 770 30-06 bolt action rifle. The bullets that I am using are 30cal 180GR PSP CL-WC bullets. These bullets have the cannelure on them. With these having the cannelure on them does that require them to be crimped? Is it adviseable to crimp them using the bolt action rifle?
Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated
Old January 16, 2011, 06:58 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

Welcome to reloadin...

.. No you dont HAVE to crimp..and the bullet does NOT have to be set at the crimp cannelure...

You CAN crimp in the cannelure if you wish but you are not required to.

I dont myself...because mine are loaded ten K behind the lands and the OAL is long enough that my crimp wouldnt be on the cannelure anyway.
Old January 16, 2011, 07:06 PM   #3
g.willikers

ammosmith.com has excellent instructions for this.
Check them out.
Old January 16, 2011, 10:32 PM   #4
llsspratt

Thank you

Thank you very much. I will check out the site
Old January 16, 2011, 11:07 PM   #5
Doodlebugger45

I don't use a crimp on rifle loads unless they will be shot out of a 30-30 or something with a tubular magazine. Rifle cartridges as a rule don't need a crimp. Sometimes putting a crimp actually makes the acccuracy worse because it can damage the bullet.
Old January 16, 2011, 11:17 PM   #6
chris in va

I have to use the Lee crimp die on my 30-06 loads for my Garand, otherwise I get bullet setback. Probably not necessary with a bolt gun though.
Old January 16, 2011, 11:43 PM   #7
Tim R

Quote:
I have to use the Lee crimp die on my 30-06 loads for my Garand, otherwise I get bullet setback. Probably not necessary with a bolt gun though.
Chris you might want to get a different size die. I have 1 308 M-1 and 4 '06 M-1 Garands which don't need to have the 155 or 168 SMK'S crimped. I even have a 130 Speer HP load for the short lines which don't need crimps.

If you keep chambering the same round then yeah it will setback.

I don't crimp for my bolt guns but I do crimp for my lever gun with it's spring loaded tube magazine.
Old January 17, 2011, 03:46 AM   #8
Win_94

When I have a cannelure I'll use it and crimp them just in case I drop my cartridges. I had dropped one once and it landed just right as to change my seating depth.

It is good to have all the dies just in case; I have all the dies for every cartridge I load for.
Old January 17, 2011, 08:52 AM   #9
PA-Joe

You did not say what brand of dies you have? Do you have a Full length dies, Seating dies and Factory Crimp die? or do you have a FL, Neck and Seating Die? Some seating dies will also crimp the bullets while seating them. If you have the Lee Factory Crimp die then you can unscrew the seating die a few turns so that it does not touch the shellholder. This will stop it from crimping while seating.