The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Moon93

Alright!

Hello, I'n new to reloading, but I've been reading these threads for a while and have read a few books before getting started.

I finally got my equipment and have it mostly set up.

Only went through about 100 pieces of brass and a few slightly mangled bullets but it is looking pretty good.

*decapping & sizing great
*powder accurate
*belled to +.010" (the manual recommended .020", but this is enough to seat bullets with no marks when i pull them apart)
*seating fine (OAL variance seems to be driven by how much the nose of the lead bullet has been flattened, but is +/- .005" around suggested)
*crimp looks right and feels fine

I notice, though that sometimes after handling a few completed test rounds, and feeling the crimp, I see tiny slivers of brass on my fingers. I can't feel them, but they glitter.

So, should I raise the powder die, raise the crimping die, both, or ?

Thanks!
Old July 17, 2009, 02:36 PM   #2
dsv424

I would think you need to adjust your expander die to open the case mouth a hair more. Because when you seat the bullet you are shaving the copper on the bullet against the case mouth.
Old July 17, 2009, 03:22 PM   #3
Moon93

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear: I'm using bought cast lead bullets.
Old July 17, 2009, 03:27 PM   #4
FlyFish

I wouldn't worry about it. Resizing, expanding, bullet seating, and crimping all work the case mouth a bit and can shave off tiny bits of brass. If they're so small you can't even feel them I don't see a problem.
Old July 17, 2009, 06:06 PM   #5
Moon93

Thanks for the advice.
Old July 17, 2009, 06:28 PM   #6
Doodlebugger45

If you're using brand new brass especially I wouldn't worry. It might come from the manufacturing process itself. Sounds like you're really paying attention to the small things which is the most important of all. I did the same thing measuring everything several times. Eventually you get kind of a feel for it so that you can instantly spot problems when they crop up.