The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 21, 2008, 09:14 PM   #1
matt870

Skeet question

Hey guys,
This is my first post here, I bought my first firearm about 2 months ago, a Remington 870 express. Ive been shooting since I was 14 or so (Im 20 now) and have been doing quite a bit of skeet shooting lately. Everyone tells me that when your shooting doubles to shoot the clay that is going away from you first then shoot the one thats coming towards you. I always did it the other way since you have more time on the target thats going away from you and its easier to find. Ive been doing pretty good at it and got 20/25 last week. Now my question is, is there any rule in competition that states specifically what target you have to shoot first? Because I would like to enter tournaments once I get good enough and I dont want to be practicing the wrong way.
Old February 21, 2008, 11:04 PM   #2
cdrt

This is the link for the National Skeet Shooting Assoc. rules.
http://www.mynssa.com/image/download...ule%20Book.pdf

Your answer is on page 29. You need to shoot the bird from the nearest house first and the farther house second; which is opposite what you've been doing.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old February 22, 2008, 05:32 PM   #3
matt870

thanks for the link. I'll have to start doing them the right way then. I'll see how well it goes this weekend.
Old February 23, 2008, 09:27 PM   #4
BigDinOC

Matt,

You're 870 probably, I am guessing 30" or 28" barrel at a full or a modified choke on it. That is why you prefer to shoot the birds the other way.You need to purchase a improved cylinder barrel in 26" or a skeet#1 or #2 barrel for a 870. If you are shooting a 20/25 with that setup you should easily become a 23/25 shooter with the right equipment. Also a improved cylinder barrel is good for shooting slugs. So it is not a waste of money if you are a deer hunter.The 30"/28" barrel is good for shooting trap at your local range. So you can play both games with one gun.

Last edited by BigDinOC; February 24, 2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old February 24, 2008, 01:12 AM   #5
matt870

Actually it is a 26" barrel, with a improved cylinder choke in it :P Has a nice green glow sight on it too, came with two other chokes, but the improved cylinder is the broadest one.
I just shot them the other way because it made the most sense to me, the target thats flying away from you is the target you have the most time to shoot so I figured it was best to shoot it last.

I went to the range today and shot two rounds, this time doing the doubles the correct way, its not as hard to do it that way as I though it was, I was able to get both of them several times. Only got 21/50 though because for the life of me I could not hit any of the targets from stations 3,4, and 5. Just not a good day for me, usually I get at least 15 a round, my high score as of yet is 20. I think I'll go back tomorrow because I know I can do better than that.
Old February 24, 2008, 01:52 AM   #6
BigDinOC

Keep your head down on the stock.
Old February 24, 2008, 03:15 AM   #7
BigDinOC

station 1-high house / Shoot as soon as possible (but do not rush it)
station 1-low house / Let it come to you (then shoot it)
station 1-doubles / Same as above.
station 2- same as station 1.
station 3- high house / shoot almost at mid field.
station 3- low house / shoot at mid field or just past.
station 4-high or low house / shoot at mid field.
station 5-shoot the opposite of station 3
station 6- shoot the opposite of station 2
station 7-high house/ let it come to you.
station 7- doubles / let the low go long and the high striaght in.
station 8-shoot slow.
Old February 24, 2008, 11:26 PM   #8
matt870

Thanks for the tips, I didnt get to shooting today, got a bunch of tests I had to study for. hopefully this coming weekend will yield better results. Also how big of an impact does shot size have on things? Ive been using #9 shot lately and it seems I was doing better when using 7 1/2 but I don't think thats the reason...
Old February 25, 2008, 02:57 AM   #9
williamd

LEads added ... adapt for you

station 1-high house / Shoot as soon as possible (but do not rush it) - Just under in the belly
station 1-low house / Let it come to you (then shoot it) - lead 6 "
station 1-doubles / Same as above. Same leads
station 2- same as station 1. Lead High house 1 ft, low house 1.5 ft
station 3- high house / shoot almost at mid field. High house 1.5 to 2 ft, low house 2 - 3 ft
station 3- low house / shoot at mid field or just past.
station 4-high or low house / shoot at mid field. 4 ft high and low house
station 5-shoot the opposite of station 3 leads - refer to station 3
station 6- shoot the opposite of station 2 leads - refer to station 2
station 7-high house/ let it come to you. High house on the nose, low house in the tail
station 7- doubles / let the low go long and the high striaght in. Same as singles. Don't relax too much here!
station 8-shoot slow. Dead on both

Diagram it, and practice in your head. On station think it but don't try to aim / measure ... let it happen.

In 10 years and after $50k it will all seem right!! ..... maybe.

I shoot low gun as I learned that way and I like it to improve my bird hunting .... I seldom walk around a field with my gun mounted!
Old March 1, 2008, 02:58 AM   #10
matt870

Well I shot a little better today, got 18 on the first round and 14 on the second. I probably could have done better had it not been so darn windy. oh well. I was nailing the doubles the correct way though which was good, and its not as hard as I thought, just a little more difficult to find that second target.
Old March 1, 2008, 09:51 PM   #11
williamd

matt870 ... sounds like you are having fun and that is what counts. Some wind, some showers ... adds to the fun. If it gets real nasty borrow someone elses gun!!
Old March 2, 2008, 10:08 PM   #12
sm

Two old publications I recommend highly:

Shotgunning: The Art & Science - Bob Brister

Score Better at Skeet - Fred Misseldine.

Score Better at Trap - Misseldine , is for you folks that can't count past 5 stations and have to stand behind targets and not face targets. *stirs up*

Brister and Missledine's works commpliment each other.

Misseldine not only shares how to hit each station , he also shared why you missed, and how to correct.

Ah...Round-the-Clock just takes gun fit, correct basic fundamentals, quality practice , and :

Focus on the Target, not the equipment - Will Fennell
Old March 5, 2008, 07:53 PM   #13
williamd

If you can find one of the old Shotgun Digests edited by Robert Stack it has great skeet info. And great pics of recognizable folks. For trap I recommend B. Lee Braun.

Last edited by williamd; March 6, 2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old March 6, 2008, 02:28 PM   #14
Sebring Pop

Lead and follow through, Lead and follow through, Lead and follow through, Lead and follow through, Lead and follow through. DO NOT STOP THE GUN

IN GOD WE TRUST............ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old March 15, 2008, 05:38 PM   #15
matt870

Thanks for the tips guys, I got 19 on my first round and 20 on the second yesterday, which is a new overall high for me.

One of these days I'll get a perfect score.....
Old March 15, 2008, 07:44 PM   #16
clayking

Quote:
One of these days I'll get a perfect score.....
In these parts, that requires you throwing your hat in the air while your shooting teams gets a shot at it.........they tore mine up pretty good.

I regret that I do not remember his name, others on here will no doubt, but this gentleman wrote for the magazine for the NSSA association (I'm no longer a member so pardon the guesswork) who wrote a series of articles on how to shoot each station that quickly got me up to speed. Anyway, if you can find those articles get 'em. It was the guy who went grouse hunting and was never seen again.....................ck