The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 13, 2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Bigfatts

Calling Milsurp guys! Did they ever make a...

Commercially produced Steyr M-95? I bought this gun from a woman clearing out her late husband's collection, and I know nex to nothing about the rifle itself. I didn't really have the money for it but she said the ones that didn't sell were going to get taken in to the next buy back , and this thing has too much character to be destroyed. She said it was marked as commercial in the ledger and if it isn't, someone put a ton of work into it. It's a takedown, the bolt locks the two parts in place when closed. Double set triggers- they work. Nice bbl profile and decent iron sights. Reciever engraving, nice stock with beautiful checkering/stippling. What do you think:

Old June 13, 2010, 11:34 AM   #2
ISC

What caliber is it?

I'd guess either the original 8x50R. If it's in 8 x 56R it is probably a sporterized rifle.
Old June 13, 2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Cosmoline

The 8x50R models were made into very nice custom hunting rifles by central European gunsmiths back when smokeless powder was new. That would be my guess as to what you have.
Old June 13, 2010, 01:23 PM   #4
PetahW

Yes, Steyr both produced Sporting Rifles, and supplied actions to the trade in other countries (like Britain) for their own commercial sporters.

Here's a TFL thread on them:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338890

Old June 13, 2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Bigfatts

Hm... Thanx Petah, I'll give that a read. As far as caliber, all she knew was 8mm, so I'll have to have it cast.
Old June 15, 2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Avenger

If you have a 7.62x54R case or round handy, you can check which the chamber is. Remove the bolt entirely, and drop a single 54R round or case into the chamber...if the rim is resting against the face of the receiver, than it is probably 8x56R. If the rim is slightly raised from the face, than it is probably 8x50R.

Oh, that rifle is a nice-looking piece of work. I'd say go for it unless the price is ridiculous.
Old June 15, 2010, 07:55 PM   #7
ISC

The M95 was originally chambered for 8 x 50 and was only rechambered between the world wars. Military rifles that were rechambered had a large S stamped on the top of the barrel just in front of the reciever. Mine has the S highlighted in white.

finding 8x50 ammo is harder than finding 8x56. Making 8x50 ammo is easier than making 8x56 because the brass can be made from 7.62x54R.
Old June 16, 2010, 07:42 AM   #8
mapsjanhere

If you take the barrel and action out of the stock and post pictures of the proof marks we could get a better idea about the where and when it was made.