The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 2009, 06:40 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Pellet tech question for the thinkers!

Okay, so we now have a repeatable "heavier than lead" technology in shot.

So what if we had a #4 HTL pellet inside a 00 buck. The rest being lead.

I am thinking it would have more mass and possibly a more devestating deformation.

My thinking is that the ball would hit resistance and the HTL #4 would try to retain more speed than the lead thus it would either deform the lead more or out run the lead creating up to 18 projectiles if the seperate.

So what do ya'll think of this?
Brent
Old December 8, 2009, 07:27 PM   #2
bcarver

nope

I don't think the extra energy would have any noticable affect on the deformation.
Old December 8, 2009, 07:33 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

it isn't the extra energy. I feel it would be a solid heavier material behind the softer lighter material I would expect to affect the deformation characteristic.
Brent
Old December 8, 2009, 10:29 PM   #4
.45 COLT

My guess is that it wouldn't have much effect at all. The HTL pellets are advertised as "10% heavier".

Now I'm thinking you mean a #4 Buck pellet? That would add just 2 grains to the 00 Buck, making it around 56 Grains. It should be absorbed by the surrounding lead on impact. Maybe, if the lead has a high Antimony content, the lead might shatter.

If you're talking about a #4 Birdshot pellet, I seriously doubt that it would have any effect at all.

Either way, I don't think you've added enough mass to make much difference.

I've been wrong before.

DC
Old December 9, 2009, 02:20 AM   #5
zippy13

Hogdogs, here's some food for thought...

When you make these pellets, and if you don't get everything aligned balls-on perfectly, then there will be some eccentricity between the center of volume and the center of mass. In flight, with the center of mass not co-axial with the center of drag, won't the pellets gyrate? If being out-of-balance causes a pellet to fly like a screwball, then I suspect your pattern will be enlarged significantly and with more fliers. Don't you need to get all the pellets on target before you ponder the changes in impact dynamics?
Old December 9, 2009, 01:09 PM   #6
BigJimP

what he said !

......I'm tired this morning / its way to early to get into physics ....( and only on my first latte )...

( I feel better now, but I still think Zippy is giving you a good thought ) ....but its out of my field of expertise ...

Last edited by BigJimP; December 9, 2009 at 03:07 PM.