The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2001, 09:00 PM   #1
handgunhunting

can anyone tell me anything about the 357 max.
1) can i use my 357 mag. dies to load them?
2) can i shoot 38 sp. or 357 mag out of a 357 max?
Old May 5, 2001, 09:35 PM   #2
Byron Adams

357 max

I have a T/C 21" carbine in 357 max. I use my 357 mag dies for reloading. The RCBS carbide sizer needs no adjustment. I used a milk carton cap, cut a hole in it and it provided the proper gap for flaring and seating.I have shot 357 mag and 38 Special in mine with no loss of noticeable accuracy, but not on a regular basis. Groups will be lower.
Old May 5, 2001, 09:38 PM   #3
Doug444

I've had a Contender in .357 Max. for over a dozen years. I got Max dies and have loaded Mag but not Spl. in them. I believe you could use Mag. dies, but you'd have to back off quite a bit - that might bet a bit dicey. I'd get a set of Max. dies if you're going to load a lot.

As for shooting the Mag. and Spl. in the Max. - yes they will be fine. As with any of these shorter rounds, make sure you clean the chamber thoroughly before shooting any of the longer cases in the gun as there could be a build-up of powder residue at the shorter case mouth that could result in a stuck case.

Doug444