The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 27, 2015, 01:33 PM   #1
Lee6113

Best Type of Gunbelt?

I was at my local gun store the other day and they were showing me an instructor belt type made of a reinforced, non leather material. Looked sturdy and thought it may be a good option, but I've been on the market for a good leather belt, so I hadn't really thought of this kind.

What kind of belt works best?
Old July 27, 2015, 02:44 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

The "instructor" part is marketing. A gun belt needs to be stiff enough so the holster doesn't move around.
Pretty is in the eye of the beholder and it has to fit your pants and your budget. snicker.
Haven't bought any belt for eons. Make 'em. Trick is finding a decent buckle.
Old July 27, 2015, 04:55 PM   #3
jmhyer

I've used this for daily IWB carry for quite a while and am 100% satisfied.

http://www.511tactical.com/trainer-belt-1-12-wide.html

Also comes in 1 3/4" width.
Old July 27, 2015, 05:22 PM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
I've used this for daily IWB carry for quite a while and am 100% satisfied.
He seem to be serious (he italicized the word "leather"), that he wanted leather.
Old July 27, 2015, 05:25 PM   #5
g.willikers

Mine is thick and fairly wide leather that is also quite pliable and comfortable.
It was made by a harness maker at a re-enactment.
It must be at least twenty years old.
Good leather will last.
Old July 27, 2015, 05:39 PM   #6
Nathan

Leather, good maker....fairly thin are my desires.

Thin for a gun belt... Still thick for a pants belt....RG Gunleather
Old July 27, 2015, 07:16 PM   #7
jmhyer

Quote:
He seem to be serious (he italicized the word "leather"), that he wanted leather.
Actually, no. Re-read the OP's post. He said he has been in the market for a good leather belt but someone suggested the "instructor" style belt and he was soliciting opinions on that type of belt (and other types, too). Otherwise, I would not have offered the opinion that I did. Thanks, though.

Last edited by jmhyer; July 27, 2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old July 27, 2015, 09:03 PM   #8
Lee6113

Yeah, I'm open to options. I hadn't considered anything but leather, but if they work just as good I'd be fine with it. I'd just be worried it wouldn't go with some nicer outfits.
Old July 27, 2015, 10:02 PM   #9
4thPoint

My 'requirements' in a leather belt are few...
a) have a roller on the buckle so the belt can be tightened easily

b) the use of 'Chicago screws' so the buckle can be easily replaced or switched to a newer belt. Not as important, but still something I look for.

I've been avoiding belts that fasten with Velcro, they seem to lose 'stiction' way before the rest of the belt is worn out.
For other unnatural belts, I like the 'Ligerthane / Biothane(r)' although again, I'd rather have replaceable screws than rivets.

Harness shops sell it online in the right colors and widths, I just need a friendly belt buckle*.

* Being former military and left-handed means I wear my belt 'correctly' which is a pain in the arse for threading it through holster loops as the belt has to be almost completely undone while attaching the holster.
Old July 28, 2015, 12:46 AM   #10
drobs

I bought my re-enforced leather gun belt from local holster maker / saddle shop.

If I were looking to order one I'd go with:

http://www.thebeltman.net/

Get the optional $10 stiffener.
Old July 28, 2015, 07:12 AM   #11
Shadi Khalil

I started out with a 5.11 instructor type belts and then moved on to leather. I have a very nice custom leather one made by Rick Garcia but I've recently switched back to the instructor type belts because of my fluctuating weight. For the last month I have been using one made by www.x-concealment.com and I absolutely love it so far.

4thPoint,

What do you mean by wearing a belt correctly?
Old July 28, 2015, 07:43 AM   #12
4thPoint

Quote:
What do you mean by wearing a belt correctly?
In the Army (and I'm assuming all other services follow suit) all belts worn by male personnel will be threaded so that the tongue extends to the left. Or... counterclockwise around the body.

Being left handed, that means my holster has to be attached when the belt is only through the first or maybe second belt loop and then continue through 4 or 5 loops to buckle. Were I right-handed I'd only have to buckle and unthread a loop or two.

Last edited by 4thPoint; July 28, 2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old July 28, 2015, 07:53 AM   #13
Captains1911

I prefer Wilderness Instructor 5-Stitch. There is no "best," just get a dedicated gun belt of some some sort. Regular belts just are not stiff enough to get the job done properly.
Old July 28, 2015, 08:18 AM   #14
drobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thPoint
In the military, all belts will be threaded so that the tongue extends to the left. Or... counterclockwise around the body.

Being left handed, that means my holster has to be attached when the belt is only through the first or maybe second belt loop and then continue through 4 or 5 loops to buckle. Were I right-handed I'd only have to buckle and unthread a loop or two.
I'm also left handed (prior military) and I find I get tired of having to take my belt almost completely on/off to thread it through a holster. At which point I just wear the belt reverse (girls style). Much easier to put on a holster. Usually have a cover garment on so no-one will know...
Old July 28, 2015, 11:53 AM   #15
g.willikers

Beltman's horse hide model looks like mine.
Thanks for the link should I ever need another one.

As a side note, scuba weight belt webbing works pretty good for guns and holsters, too.
They're made to carry a lot more weight than a mere pistol.
Just make sure they have a metal buckle (or whatever it's called) instead of the more common plastic.

Last edited by g.willikers; July 28, 2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old July 28, 2015, 03:22 PM   #16
Grant D

Barsony belts and holsters have some pretty nice belts for reasonable prices. I am very happy with mine.
Old July 28, 2015, 07:22 PM   #17
Shadi Khalil

4th hand,

Thanks for clearing that up for a fellow southpaw
Old July 29, 2015, 04:39 AM   #18
AK103K

I used leather until I got my first Wilderness Instructor, and havent gone back.

I find they just work better, and are more comfortable. Their biggest plus being, they are infinitely adjustable through their wearable length. You dont have to try and "hit" a hole if you go up and down a little in size.

The downside to them is, they look like a gun belt, especially to gun people. Then again, so do most of the leather gun belts.

These days, Im using one of Wilderness's Frequent Flyer "double ring" belts. They work the same, just dont look as much like a gun belt.
Old July 29, 2015, 02:36 PM   #19
cc-hangfire

Same as OP, I'm in the market for a leather gun belt, and here's what little I've learned as a novice:

- a good leather gun belt will outlast the typical dress belt by a factor of 3 to 5 (they'll last 5-10+ years). So the higher cost us offset by longer useful service life.
- they need to be at least double leather; most off the rack dress belts are a single thickness of leather and are too pliable. The better makers use the higher (stiffer) quality bull or cow leather, or...
- Some use horse hide which is - as I understand - stiffer than cattle hides.
- they may have inner stiffeners, like kydex;
- there are a bunch of folks who make them from the major holster manufacturers to local leather workers. I prefer supporting local (or as close to local as I can get) businesses & have found a couple of makers in my state with good websites and good reviews.

Last edited by cc-hangfire; July 29, 2015 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old July 29, 2015, 04:20 PM   #20
RickB

I'm using leather belts from Bianchi, Blade-Tech, Davis Leather, Ted Blocker, FIST, and maybe some others.
They're all good, but I do prefer belts that are made from split leather, with the two pieces stitched face-to-face so you have the smooth, shiny side facing out on both sides of the belt.
My latest Davis belt has the roller buckle illustrated by 4thPoint, and it seems like a luxury rather than a must-have, but you did ask about "best".
Old July 30, 2015, 01:49 AM   #21
CodeSection

Quote:
If I were looking to order one I'd go with:

http://www.thebeltman.net/

Get the optional $10 stiffener.
Totally agree with drobs. In the past, it seemed as if I was going through belts every year. Then, I decided to buy two belts from Jim, thebeltman. One is for business dress and the other for casual.

IMO, the stiffener is a must and adds to the durability. Workmanship is superior. Plus, in the future, for a very small modest fee that basically covers postage, he will shorten the belt if needed. Last year he shortened both of my belts by 4" each. I'm not sure if other belt makers provide that service.

Good luck on the belt!
Old July 31, 2015, 11:47 PM   #22
johnwilliamson062

I have to recommend a lion hide belt.
Old August 1, 2015, 09:05 AM   #23
4V50 Gary
Staff

Just got a Galco 1.5" belt. It's stiff enough to support a holster.