The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 17, 2012, 10:39 PM   #1
pumkin

Rock River barrel question

RRA has stainless wylde varmint A4 barrels, IN 16, 18, 20, and 24 inch. I'm not sure what length to get. But if I got the 24" and decided I wanted it shorter, say 20". It could be cut down. If it were cut to 20", would it be identical to a 20 barrel performance wise? In other words, is the taper, and diameters inside and out, the same on those two barrels from the factory the first 20" anyway?
Old December 17, 2012, 10:47 PM   #2
scsov509

You can cut barrels down indeed, and assuming the gunsmith does a proper cut and crown you should see the same performance as a factory 20" barrel. That said, I really prefer the 18" or 20" barrels unless you're planning to use your rifle exclusively from the bench. The difference between 20" and 24" is HUGE when you're lugging a rifle in the field, and I don't know that the added length/weight is worth it unless you're shooting from the bench at much longer distances. I really like the 20" bull barrels myself and have found them to be quite accurate and still practical for the field.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:22 PM   #3
trg42wraglefragle

Instead of getting it cut just buy another one, im sure you could find some way of justifying it to yourself.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:37 PM   #4
pumkin

Thanks for the reply. I bought a couple bare receivers, and want to build a gun or two. I may have waited to long. I haven't been able to find any uppers or barrels in 18-20 in the RRA varmint. Only 24 inch. My mind isn't totally set on Rock River, I just thought that being it was a wylde chamber, and a heavy barrel, it might make an accurate rifle. I have a ton of 55 grain 223 and a little 5.56 62gr. Being these are a 1:8 twist, I thought the A4 RRA would be a good choice. I'm kinda new at this, and would be all ears if someone had any other suggestions, or know where I could find some 18-20 inch bull barrels or complete uppers. Even though I'm not familiar with ARs at all, I'd feel compfortable assembling them as long as someone gave me some guidance on what parts to use. I would even feel OK about parting off the barrel and recrowning it myself. I used to do some machine work. I used to run a lathe and mill. I used to make axles, cut splines the old fashioned way for obsolete equipment using a lathe, and horizontal mill w/ a dividing head. I might be kinda skeptical on wether the inside taper of a 24" would be the same as a 20" for the first 20" though. If I had access to both barrels, a person could drop some guage pins though them to check inside diameter at given points. I thank you for your response, and like you say, thats probally a whole lotta unessary weight and obstacle to be lugging around
Old December 18, 2012, 02:25 AM   #5
pumkin

anyone know of any bull barrels or heavy barrels for ARs? The common barrel they put on these things, just looks weak where theres a groove for a grenade launcher or whatever.
Old December 18, 2012, 02:48 AM   #6
Metal god

whats your budget ? Wilson combat makes a good match barrel for $250 . you would have to back order it though .This is the barrel Im getting for my next build

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-C...-223SS20NF-18/

This one is flutted and $300

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-C...info/TR-SSBBL/

here is a link to all there AR barrels

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Barrels/departments/108/

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 18, 2012, 05:07 AM   #7
pumkin

thanks Metal god, I just today upon studying this, get the notion that RRA doesn't make their own barrels, that they use Wilson barrels. Is this the same Wilson that posted links of?
Old December 18, 2012, 07:56 AM   #8
djcantr

I am assuming you're wanting to build this up for varmint hunting and maybe some bench rest shooting. If I wanting to do that I'd look at White Oak Armament. Their site says to call for lead time so I would assume they are not ready to ship. You might contact them, though, as it could be a short lead time like a week or two. I've heard nothing but great things about their barrels. http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcar...cat=250&page=1