The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 30, 2001, 03:13 PM   #1
The Gooch

Very new to the scope world

Gents

What is the best high powered scope available?

I have been looking at the Zeiss 4.5-14x44AO MC CONQUEST Stainless Riflescope w/Z Plex Reticle.

Is that one any good?
Is that brand any good?
If not which is better?

The Gooch
Old October 2, 2001, 01:52 PM   #2
Darkangel

Hay Gooch;

We can start a nice argument when we start talking about optics.
Your Zeiss seems to cost about $650.00-$750.00 range, depending on if you want mil dot, target turrents, ECT
As compared to others...........
Leupold seems to be the bench mark for most shooters and hunters, but Burris should be considered in the same league. Swarovski is a high end choice.
I like the Zeiss, Nikon, Weaver...........All are excellent scopes.
Leupold have a lift time warrenty, and usually stand behind their product.......unless you've gone out of your way to abuse the scope.
You can tell the difference in good and marginal optics.....just compare the cheap to the not cheap.
I think Zeiss is a good choice, but I would shop around a little and do some comparisons. After all your droping a lot of bucks for optics...........Just make sure your getting the scope you actually need for the mission.
By the way I have one Leupold, my other ones are Tasco's. I shoot very well with all of them.
good luck
DA
Old October 5, 2001, 01:24 PM   #3
HankB

You'll find as many opinions on 'scopes as you have TFL-ers in these forums. My views on the major 'scope makers are:

The big-name European scopes - Zeiss, Swarovski, Schmidt&Bender, Kahles - are all fine optics, and those who have purchased them - sometimes for prices well in excess of $1000 - vociferously defend their choice to spend that much money. IMHO they're not good enough to justify the prices charged. The times I've made side-by-side comparisons of some European scopes with, say, Leupolds, the latter come off very well. In particular, I've noticed some of the Europeans show more reflections off internal components, which can cause glare.

From what I've seen, Leupold scopes - my personal favorites - adorn more top end custom and benchrest competition rifles today than all others combined. Leupold also puts together riflescopes for Steiner and Leitz (Leica). Leupolds usually have more eye relief than the European 'scopes, too. I like 'em.

Burris has a good reputation - particularly their "Black Diamond" series - and I've read they make 'scopes for Pentax.

Nikon, Redfield, Weaver, the better Bushnells - I view these as "commodity" scopes, serviceable, OK for most general purpose use, but not really something to rave about. (Though I've heard the newer Weavers are nice.)

I hold Tasco 'scopes in far lower regard than does Darkangel.

And stay away from the $49.95 "Leapers" or other semi-generic crapola 'scopes from Red China.

Now, money is no object and if you equate $$$ with quality, take a look at 'scopes by US Optics or Nightforce.