The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 19, 2001, 06:21 PM   #1
VictorLouis

I took my CZ-85 in to have some Ashley's installed. Though it does basically drop in, the front blade is not pre-drilled to accept the retention roll pin.
My smith(a 1911 and Glock guy) asks how I like the pistol, which I praised. His only comment was how I should be careful, as he's seen those 'roll pins come flyin' off the gun'.(The front sight, and the firing pin safety.) I struggled not to LOL. I told him I'd keep an eye out for it.

How 'bout it George, or anyone else, have you seen this?
Old February 19, 2001, 06:24 PM   #2
Badger Arms

You smith was on drugs. I suppose anything could happen, but you inspect your gun after each range session anyhow. The only pin I've ever seen come off a gun was on a Ruger GP-100 whose sight pin came out at a range session. Was on a friend's gun. That wasn't a roll pin. You have to try to get a roll pin out unless it isn't properly sized for the gun.
Old February 19, 2001, 10:54 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Cripes, I've never even seen a roll pin backing out of its hole...

I've seen that lots with standard pins, but not roll pins.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 20, 2001, 02:29 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Roll pins are used in part because they are self retaining. Assuming they are the right size, they are less likely to "fly off" than solid pins. Like many other things, though, they have been used where they should not have been; if a roll pin is crushed, it can break and "fly off", but I doubt that would happen on a front sight.

Jim
Old February 20, 2001, 08:39 AM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Victor, I've seen this occur a couple of times. Both that I remember were extractor pins that went through the top of the slide and both had the problem cured when the correct size roll pin was used. The pistols were a Norinco 214 and a Targa GT-380. George
Old February 20, 2001, 11:25 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Roll pins are constructed from spring steel and their expansive quality is what holds the item they secure in place. Once used, absent exigent circumstances, the roll pin should not be reused. We're talking about a fifty cent part and one's life is certainly worth more than that.

I've only seen a roll pin begin to walk once on a Sig P226. The roll pin in the slide which holds the breechblock in place began to walk out about 1/8". My classmate brought it to class the next day and I my hammer, roll pin punch and peening block. One whack fixed it and our instructor at the Advanced Officer Class, who was not LE, was aghast that we were playing gunsmiths during the break.
Old February 20, 2001, 12:20 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Other point about roll pins, one I learned the hard way...

You should use a special roll pin punch when installing them. Makes the process a lot easier.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 20, 2001, 05:22 PM   #8
VictorLouis

Hehehe, just as I thought. In retrospect, I have read of that occuring with the Sigs, as 4V50 described. But, it still gave you visual indication before it 'launched'.
Old February 20, 2001, 06:09 PM   #9
Lefty

Uhhmmmm ... me thinks wrong term was used

... if that model uses pins similar to the CZ-75B -- be aware -- while it may look like a "roll pin" from the axial view, it isn't a true roll pin. As others offered, true roll pins are rolled spring steel, and YES -- it is best to use a correct tool made for them.

In the -75B, what looks to be a roll pin is more like a standard dowel pin, but it has a small indent or dimple on each end that was flared out [peened] to hold it in place. One should use care when removing these and they should be flared slightly when re-installed. This type of pin could quite easy fly off to never-never-land if improperly reinstalled.

I could be off here ... but I think that's what was meant. Tight groups to all !!

Old February 21, 2001, 07:09 PM   #10
VictorLouis

Now I have to look at my other one when I get home! I thought that you can see light through it, meaning it's a roll pin. But, you've raised an interesting point.
Old February 25, 2001, 09:48 PM   #11
ddc

Greetings,

This is a great site! This is my first post although I've been lurking for awhile now.

I'm interested in this thread as I just posted a question over on fnhipower.com (same handle "ddc") with respect to the pin that apparently holds on the right side of the BHP MKIII factory ambi safety. I got some good help there but wanted to follow it up a bit...

This is a stock pistol and while cleaning following my last range session I noticed the pin had drifted out to what I'm guessing is about one-third of it's length.

I tapped it back in with a makeshift "punch", it went back in so easily that it makes me uneasy.

I have several questions; I'm a total novice as far as gunsmithing is concerned so don't be afraid to explain in detail. :-)

1. Is this a "roll" pin?
2. Since it drifted out once; I'm assuming it will likely do so again unless I either replace it or use some locktite?
3. If you guy's were going to open up your Brownell's catalog and recommend a pin punch kit for general gunsmithing purposes do you have a specific suggestion?

Thanks a million,
Don.
Old February 26, 2001, 03:03 AM   #12
Badger Arms

I don't think there are any roll-pins on the High Power. There are a couple of ways of correcting your pin problem. One is to put a little super glue or permanent locktite (can't remember color) on the tips of it. The other method I'll suggest is to stake the hole or center-punch directly next to the hole to push some metal into it. The glue method is the less-destructive one. Welcome to TFL.
Old February 26, 2001, 09:17 AM   #13
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

DDC, the way I tighten loose pins is to take a cold chisel and make opposing slots in one end. Same theory as peening the hole but you are doing it to the pin and not the gun. George