The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 17, 2011, 03:52 AM   #1
mikelbalansiya1

Unknow shotgun ¡¡

Please, who can identificate this?
Barrel: Its a pipe. Lenght: 22 "
Thank you for your info ¡¡
Attached Images
File Type: jpg escopeta modelo a foto 3.JPG (178.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg escopeta modelo a foto 5.JPG (74.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg escopeta modelo a foto 6.JPG (180.5 KB, 78 views)
Old September 17, 2011, 07:50 AM   #2
SDC

This one is very unusual, and may be a prototype of an early breech-loader; the first picture shows a loading tappet, as still seen on some air guns, that allows a bullet to be placed directly in-line with the bore at the rear of the barrel, but I don't see how a propelling charge could also be placed in the chamber unless it was dropped in first. This is another one that's going to take more pictures to identify.
Old September 17, 2011, 01:26 PM   #3
mikelbalansiya1

Thank you for your info ¡¡ Two new pictures uploaded
May I ask you some questions?
You say this gun is very unusual. Do you mean rare? Do you kwon if iit may be belgian, french...?
Do you know another antique guns with the same loading system?
Do you know what is the hole next the loading tappet ?
Do you know if can I find some pictures of these guns in old cathalogues, books...?
Can you helpr me to putting value ?

Thank you for help me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg escopeta modela a foto 1.JPG (73.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg escopeta modelo a foto 2.JPG (73.7 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by mikelbalansiya1; September 17, 2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old September 17, 2011, 07:45 PM   #4
SDC

It could definitely be rare, but that doesn't always mean that it's valuable. The first thing I'd want to know is what sort of ignition system and calibre it is, and who made it and where. Those are the sort of things that's going to take a close look to determine, and maybe even taking it out of the wood. I'd also want to make sure that it isn't loaded now, given the unusual method of loading. It looks like there's an internal hammer operated by the slider on the tang. The hole is part of the loading tappet, and is basically a ball valve that spins open and closed by twisting the wing nut on the right side, so something can be placed in a hole through that valve, then it can be spun back into line with the bore (but we don't know yet if that something is supposed to be a propelling charge, primer, or projectile). If you can take a lightly-oiled cloth and wipe down the outside of the metal parts, you may be able to see some marks or writing somewhere that might help to identify it.