The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 12, 2014, 05:51 PM   #1
.50cal packer

PU Scope on 91/30?

So I got a 1936 Tula yesterday, and no it wasn't a sniper. But I thought about putting a PU or PE/PEM scope on it. The problem, I think, is that my 36 is a low wall receiver. I'm pretty sure the originals had to be high wall??? So, is it possible to put any of the fore-mentioned scopes on this gun correctly? I don't want to mess with the brass stacker version or removing the sight so I can use the dove tail. Any help on the matter would be great appreciated greatly. Thanks in advance for the help.
IT SEEMS TO ME, LIKE ALL THESE NEW GUYS THINK...

Last edited by .50cal packer; March 13, 2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old March 13, 2014, 02:10 PM   #2
.50cal packer

Thanks to all who looked into this thread. I realize why some of you are/were hesitant to respond to it. Knowing that the WW2 didn't start until '39. However, they had been modifying Mosins from '32 onward to accept scopes. First using German mounts and scopes. Then manufacturing there own version, PE/PEM. It wasn't until '42, till they used the 3.5 PU scopes. So after many many pages of reading and long searches, the answer is yes. You can put a PE/PEM and a PU scope on a '36 Tula low wall Mosin. Many have said it doesn't look right on there, as well as, it will not have the C and N markings that the sniper models have. No since in this modification, as it just isn't necessary. So, I guess I'll be buying another Mosin. Shucks ... But if any others search for the same question, this answer will be out there.
IT SEEMS TO ME, LIKE ALL THESE NEW GUYS THINK...
Old March 13, 2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Rondog

Interesting. I have a 1938 Mosin, Tula I believe (large star with arrow in it?). I've been developing a hankering to buy an Accumount PU kit for it. Never heard of high wall/low wall though. Just hard to buy a scope kit that costs 3x what I paid for the rifle!