The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 18, 2012, 06:28 AM   #51
rebs

I also have thoughts of not being safe carrying my Colt 1911 cocked and locked, however many people have said its the only way to carry a 1911. I have been thinking about a holster that has a strap between the hammer and the slide. What are your thoughts ?
Old October 18, 2012, 06:36 AM   #52
Single Six

I've been carrying religiously since 1989. In all of that time, I've [thankfully] never needed to resort to pulling that weapon [not including while working in full-time LE]. I should also point out a few facts: I go out of my way to avoid conflict of all kinds. That includes "fightin' words", staring contests, going to bars, night clubs, parties, or participating in those stupid, mobile confrontations that result in "road rage". I strive to remain in "condition yellow" at all times. However, the gun is my final recourse in the face of unprovoked, criminal attempts on my life, or that of my loved ones. It is for the time that avoidance, vigilance, retreat, talking, pepper spray, or empty hands might not be enough. Since I don't know when, or if, such a dire situation will befall me, I am ALWAYS armed. It is analogous to the spare tire in your car: You never know when or if you'll need it, but if the time comes that you do need it....you'll probably need it in the worst way. Therefore, you always have it in your vehicle. Same logic applies.
Old October 18, 2012, 07:03 AM   #53
Chaz88

Quote:
It is analogous to the spare tire in your car: You never know when or if you'll need it, but if the time comes that you do need it....you'll probably need it in the worst way. Therefore, you always have it in your vehicle.
I agree. But apparently some car companies do not. Many new cars are now being sold without a spare as standard equipment. I asked about this and was told that nobody changes tiers anymore they just call triple A. Must be the same people that think 911 is preventative when it is reactive and normally reacts to late.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 18, 2012, 07:49 AM   #54
spacecoast

Username StainlessSteel215...

Quote:
Thanks Drag, but I am a very loyal Glock fan and will work through my issues with time and practice. I didnt pick this gun for CC because it looks pretty

G26 Gen3 ~ I trust my life with it
and yet...

Quote:
Also, I cannot move beyond my comfort level of having my firearm loaded with a round chambered. I carry my G26 which obviously has no external safety....just a trigger safety and common sense.
Quote:
Anyways I find myself having a lot of internal conflict...
Huh? Does anyone else see a consistency issue?

Last edited by spacecoast; October 18, 2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old October 18, 2012, 08:03 AM   #55
Sparks1957

Yes, I do
Old October 18, 2012, 08:29 AM   #56
StainlessSteel215

Whats the inconsistency? I trust my G26 as my dedicated CCW yet I choose to leave it home at certain times....and as of now choose not to carry with a round chambered? I am working up the confidence to carry 100% with a round chambered. You have chosen to quote me on 3 random instances out of context to create some sort of Mitt Romney-like campaign.

Enlighten me, great ones....

If it's my handle that you pointed out....I own 2 stainless guns that are not my dedicated CCW, because I prefer stainless. Soooo....whats the issue...or did you just feel like trolling today?

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; October 18, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old October 18, 2012, 08:31 AM   #57
Skadoosh

What I think they are referring to is that you trust your Glock with your life, yet dont trust it enough to carry it in condition one.

But i could be wrong.
Old October 18, 2012, 08:34 AM   #58
StainlessSteel215

Right, but why must that be the one and only way to carry? What makes these guys' opinions on my carry system the standard for which EVERYONE must carry?

I'm a relatively novice shooter, not a beginner but far from expert. Ive put hundreds of hours and thousands of rounds of ammo into this lifestyle to get better, safer, and more proficient. I am STILL working up the confidence to carry a Glock condition 1 because it makes me jumpy, I am working through it as we speak. Period.

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; October 18, 2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old October 18, 2012, 09:01 AM   #59
Sparks1957

Quote:
you trust your Glock with your life, yet dont trust it enough to carry it in condition one
There you go. You really don't trust your Glock with your life, because you are afraid of it. You can make all the rationalizations you want, but there it is. If you ever really need your gun, those precious seconds you spend fumbling to get a round chambered will be used by your opponent to kill you.

If you're afraid of your gun with a round in the chamber, you probably have the wrong gun. Personally I like guns with no safeties and a long, heavy DA trigger for the the first shot.
Old October 18, 2012, 09:03 AM   #60
spacecoast

Quote:
You have chosen to quote me on 3 random instances out of context to create some sort of Mitt Romney-like campaign
Well that explains a lot, but I'm afraid I'm probably over the line, no offense intended.
Old October 18, 2012, 09:08 AM   #61
Prof Young

Carry a revolver

Shooters:

I don't carry, but it seems to me the solution to having a safe gun ready to shoot without having to rack the slide is to carry a revolver with the chamber under the hammer empty.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old October 18, 2012, 09:10 AM   #62
StainlessSteel215

Space your posts are unproductive, pointless, childish and annoying. Troll elsewhere.

**EDIT**
I see you revised your last post, but still I find your original post offensive and pointless.

Sparks I at least appreciate where your focus is with that last post. As I mentioned at least 5 times already in this thread...it's a combination of the gun AND my own handling that makes me hesitant to carry my G26 with one in the pipe. I dont fear the striker fired/non external safety features, or else I would have traded this gun long ago. I love the Glock....been shooting Glocks for 5+ years now but yes, admittedly, the confidence to keep a round chambered isnt 100% there yet. Im working on it because I want to carry as safely and responsibly as possible.

At least Im honest enough to admit that...some of the cowboys out there need to slow it down a notch and realize not everyone can flip the switch overnight to a FULL locked and loaded 24/7 carry lifestyle. Might take me weeks, might take months. At least I admit to making an effort
Old October 18, 2012, 09:19 AM   #63
Ben Towe

Quote:
I also have thoughts of not being safe carrying my Colt 1911 cocked and locked, however many people have said its the only way to carry a 1911. I have been thinking about a holster that has a strap between the hammer and the slide. What are your thoughts ?
I have a Galco FLETCH High Ride with that design but I use it infrequently, more as a dress up holster. It is an OWB holster. My usual holster is a Fobus paddle holster. The gun is a Sig Sauer 1911. The Galco is a nice holster but I wear overalls most of the time which necessitates the paddle design. I personally have no qualms about cocked and locked carry but I know many who do. I do find myself checking the safety fairly often.
Old October 18, 2012, 09:26 AM   #64
spacecoast

Quote:
I don't carry, but it seems to me the solution to having a safe gun ready to shoot without having to rack the slide is to carry a revolver with the chamber under the hammer empty.
Modern (post-WWII or thereabouts) DA revolvers don't require an empty chamber to be completely safe for carry with all chambers loaded. But the same is true of modern semis with a chambered round, carried correctly. Glocks, however, seem to be involved in a larger fraction of ADs than their market share would suggest they should be.
Old October 18, 2012, 09:29 AM   #65
drail

This is why DA revolvers are still being made today. No mag springs or extractors or feed ramps to worry about. No repeatedly rechambering the same round by slamming it into a ramp. I love 1911s and made pretty good money working on them and competing with them. But I have seen exactly how many things can go wrong on a semi auto and make it choke. I saw it happen at big money matches to factory shooters with custom guns who get paid big bucks. I cannot place 100% trust in one. I only carry revolvers. Simple is good.

Last edited by drail; October 18, 2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old October 18, 2012, 09:30 AM   #66
Ben Towe

Quote:
You have chosen to quote me on 3 random instances out of context to create some sort of Mitt Romney-like campaign
Quote:
Well that explains a lot, but I'm afraid I'm probably over the line, no offense intended.
Easy boys, we know where this line of debate will get us. The little padlock will pop up and that will be that.
Old October 18, 2012, 09:32 AM   #67
Sparks1957

Quote:
realize not everyone can flip the switch overnight to a FULL locked and loaded 24/7 carry lifestyle
Well, I must say I don't live the 24/7 locked and loaded lifestyle. My work doesn't allow weapons anywhere on the property, and I am not unduly paranoid by nature.

But when I do go downtown, and I stick my P-11 under my belt, I want it to be ready for use on a second's notice.

As an old mentor of mine once said, if you have a hesitation about whether you can use a weapon in a crisis without delay, maybe you are better off not carrying. Part of that is fully trusting your gun and knowing what it can and cannot do in your hands.

I suspect you may not be ready for that yet. Either train until you are, or consider that carrying may not be for you.
Old October 18, 2012, 09:37 AM   #68
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I'm still warming up to this notion....that my firearm fully becomes part of my daily routine everywhere I go, except my workplace because I cant. I carry about 75% of the time but cant seem to commit 100%. I have a mental stigma attached to carrying ALL the time. For instance when I take my 1 year old the the local playground (my neighborhood is very low crime), family get togethers, etc. I talk myself out of it because I assure myself there is no need to carry there.
That's where I feel you should carry just the same. They don't rob places that are as crappy as their homes. They go to the nice areas to get the nice thing and people with that old mentality that you USED to have. Carry all the time.

Quote:
Anyways I find myself having a lot of internal conflict over this argument...which is WHEN DO I LEAVE IT AT HOME? I am finding that I am basically setting rules for myself so I dont question the same darn scenarios over and over....week after week.
When do you leave it at home? Never. You are creating rules to justify some odd reason not to want to carry at certain times. Don't worry brother, it's okay. Carry all the time. You'll eventually always have it on you and always be used to it. Just make sure you're within where the law tells you you can and can't. Remember, crime doesn't make an appointment.

Quote:
For those of you out there who carry 24/7 is there EVER truly a time that you say to yourself there is no need to pack your sidearm...other than sleeping and showering?
I never say there is no need to pack my firearm. Funny you mention..One of my first threads on this forum was about how I'm packing in the shower..Yes, sits right on my toilet seat as I shower. You're most vulnerable where you think you're most safe. Showering, sleeping..etc. I always have it on my waistband or within a 2 foot radius. When I am home, cooking, eating, mowing the lawn, working on the mustang..anything at home. It's on my waistband at 3 or 4 o'clock. Never an issue.

Quote:
Also, I cannot move beyond my comfort level of having my firearm loaded with a round chambered. I carry my G26 which obviously has no external safety....just a trigger safety and common sense. I have convinced myself that taking a second to rack the slide in a situation doesnt weigh as strong as having an accident with a loaded pistol.
There is no other way to carry than cocked, locked, and ready to rock. All you have to do is draw, "aim", fire. With your Glock...There is no way your Glock will ever fire on it's own unless you squeeze that trigger. No safety to sweep..Nothing. With me? In the police academy, I was trained with a Glock 22. I'm trained for draw and shoot. No sweeping of the safety or nothing. That trigger finger of yours is your safety and so is the one between your ears. Keep the booger hook off the bang switch and you're good. I promise. Cock it, chamber a round. There is no other way. Israeli style? They rack the slide with their belt. The rear sights of their gun is what they use to catch on their belt. Doubt you want to do that or stake your life on racking a round in that way. Unnecessary for this day and age with modern firearm technology.

Quote:
I would like to be as comfortable and safe as possible while carrying. Anyone have advice to weigh in with on either side? Does it basically boil down to personal comfort...or is there a STRONG opinion as to why a person should carry a loaded, chambered pistol 24/7?

Read everything I just said. If you need any more reassurance I can say more that I don't really want to publicly share. You can and you should. We're the good guys.
Old October 18, 2012, 09:53 AM   #69
Don P

Quote:
Carrying Israeli style (empty chamber, loaded mag) is a bad idea for one big reason. If your weak hand is immobilized it will be impossible to rack the slide one handed.
On the show Best Defense Rob Pincus demonstrated how one can rack the slide if only one hand is functional. You can practice it bunches and get proficient at it BUT remember the time needed to accomplish a reload or loading of the chamber under stress while doing so one handed allows the attacker time to get to you and to sling as much lead your way as possible while you fiddle a one handed loading of the chamber
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 18, 2012, 09:58 AM   #70
StainlessSteel215

Thank you Constantine, Sparks, Don and all others....and even Space for switching gears to contribute to the thread. Its appreciated.

I am happy to update that tonight will be my first 24 hours of carrying everywhere (except work) with one in the pipe. Im carrying Federal 124gr Hydra-Shock +P JHP in 9mm. Yesterday after work, I loaded up....practiced holstering and handling with my finger far from the trigger as always. I practiced, sitting, reaching, and simply walking around knowing a round was chambered. I went to a few places carrying IWB as I always do....including a trip with my daughter. Ill admit, the apex of my anxiety was picking her up and carrying her knowing that I had a hot gun holstered. It wasnt as bad as I thought but still alarms me. I think a few weeks it will subside...

Thanks again
Old October 18, 2012, 10:05 AM   #71
Tactical Jackalope

lol....don't worry about it man. I knew someone who was the same way as you. It'll subside, I promise. You'll laugh at this one day as wonder how the heck you even had this gun on you without one in the pipe. I'm not even worried about you. You'll get used to it soon.
Old October 18, 2012, 10:10 AM   #72
Skadoosh

Quote:
Don P wrote:
On the show Best Defense Rob Pincus demonstrated how one can rack the slide if only one hand is functional.
Did Mr. Pincus demonstrate this technique while fending off a hail of blows from 2x4-weilding attackers, while grappling a 300lb wrestler...or while rolling around on the deck with an attacker pummeling his face and head?
Old October 18, 2012, 10:14 AM   #73
StainlessSteel215

You are right...and it does seem funny to me already. Im a young healthy confident guy....spent plenty of time in the gym and carry myself just fine at 6'1 220lbs.

But I'm telling ya, once that Glock goes hot on my person I am stripped from that confidence and have to REEEEALLY work at it without fixating. Im sure that because Im making a conscious effort now to carry condition 1 everywhere I carry....it will go away soon. Once I get home and suit up Im sure I will have made more progress already in 24 hours. Ive carried for a couple years now but this is a TOTAL game changer for me!

My problem is, Ive shot handguns for about 6 years now but only recently I have made a real effort to carry responsibly, and make an effort to take SD classes to improve as a shooter. I am making up for lost time and bad practices
Old October 18, 2012, 10:19 AM   #74
Skadoosh

Quote:
Ive carried for a couple years now but this is a TOTAL game changer for me!
This is what many are obviously having trouble understanding. Myself included. To me this indicates a lack of intimate working knowledge with your gear and a misunderstanding of the 'ready' mindset.
Old October 18, 2012, 10:24 AM   #75
StainlessSteel215

I just never realized the importance of carrying hot. There's no other way for me to explain that. In my mind I always rationalized that taking a second to rack the slide wasnt a big deal....and now I know better specially after watching the Tueller drill.

Here's my deal: I never spoke with a large group of experienced shooters, SD experts, and overall gun enthusiasts before like this. Ever. My 2 buddies who I occasionally shoot with barely carry so I never compared notes with them. My local gun shop where I spend at least 1 day a week never makes mention of condition 1. I sit and chat with them before and after range shoots but we talk about EVERYTHING except that...or maybe I just never listened. I am a guy who basically taught myself to shoot and handle firearms...and now I realize that it was a bad practice and I understand how truly important it can be to carry C1 in a real life situation.

I learn by asking LOTS of questions...sometimes at my own expense but at least its open honest discussion.

Thats the experience of being a newbie here. I am absorbing information at an unbelievable rate and have learned more in a month on here than in my 6 years of shooting! Im not too big to admit it

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; October 18, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
Closed Thread