The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 10, 2011, 04:39 PM   #1
cloud8a

Went to range, here are the results.

CVA .50 Frontier

These are my shots from 50 yards at bench rest. I used 80 grains of AAP and Hornady round balls for all shots.

The target on the right is me aiming at dead center when I first started shooting. I realized that everything was bottom left. I messed around a little bit but everything in general sort of stayed in the same area.

The left target is me gradually moving across the tarnget in order to get bulls eye. The last two shots are the closest to the bulls eye, one shot just barely above and the final shot touching. These shots were taken with me sighting in on the far top left of the target.

Since the balls tended to stay consistent with where I was aiming and where they were striking I assume this is a sight issue. This is the first time I have shot the gun without too many other issues. In other words the first time I have really been able to shoot my black poweder rifle and focus on the target. Here are the pics

target.jpg
Old May 10, 2011, 07:04 PM   #2
arcticap

Great job!
The front sight can be carefully filed down a little bit to raise the point of impact.
The rear sight can be drifted a little bit to the left to center the pattern.

The barrel seems to be shooting pretty good so it must not be in too bad of shape.
Old May 10, 2011, 07:54 PM   #3
cloud8a

Thanks i realized the barrel was going to be ok when i was able to walk the shots to the bulls eye. Can i lower the rear site instead of filing the front?

Last edited by cloud8a; May 10, 2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old May 10, 2011, 08:55 PM   #4
Hawg

You have to raise the rear sight to raise point of impact.
Old May 10, 2011, 09:40 PM   #5
cloud8a

Ok. I see, its hard to think that way. Something I will need to do at the range.
Old May 10, 2011, 09:52 PM   #6
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggen
You have to raise the rear sight to raise point of impact.
I disagree. Lowering or filing the front sight will raise the point of impact. Raising the rear sight would work too, but that means changing it since this rifle doesn't have a height adjustable rear sight.

Photo of the rear sight:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...6&d=1242802999
Old May 10, 2011, 09:55 PM   #7
cloud8a

Isn't that rear screw the height adjustment?
Old May 10, 2011, 09:59 PM   #8
arcticap

Yes, it does look like a screw adjustment.
I didn't notice it because it's sort of dark.
Old May 10, 2011, 10:00 PM   #9
cloud8a

This maybe wrong but would I want to fix the sights on the target at 50 yards high left, and then adjust the sights until they are over the center?
Old May 10, 2011, 10:03 PM   #10
arcticap

To move the impact left, either drift the rear sight to the left or drift the front sight to the right.
They can also both be drifted a little in those opposite directions if you ran out of room.
Or drift only one or the other if one proved to be so very difficult to drift that it won't move without undue force.
Old May 10, 2011, 10:11 PM   #11
cloud8a

what kind of tools do I need to move the sights?
Old May 10, 2011, 10:31 PM   #12
arcticap

Usually a dead blow hammer and a brass drift punch.
A solid piece of brass can be used in place of a drift punch.
A dead blow hammer is usually heavy, and made of brass, bronze or plastic coated metal like a small hand held sledge hammer.
Put the barrel in a padded vice or find a way to have someone hold it very steady at the right angle so it can be hit just right with precision and power.
It often requires hitting the sight base more than once to move it.

Last edited by arcticap; May 10, 2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:57 PM   #13
cloud8a

Am I to do this at the range? I keep thinking that the gun needs to be fixed on the target at fifty yards high left while I adjust the sights to show bulls eye. This would be the first time I have ever sighted anything in.
Old May 11, 2011, 06:26 AM   #14
mykeal

Sight-in procedure: mount gun in a bench rest or on sandbags such that it can be fired without the shooter supporting it in any way, except to absorb recoil. Align the sights to produce the desired sight picture, e.g. center bullseye, or six o'clock hold, etc. Fire 3 to 5 rounds without changing the Point of Aim (POA). Note the center of the group, called Point of Impact (POI), and it's relationship to the POA. Adjust the sights as follows: move the rear sight in the direction that you want the POI to move to match the POA, or move the front sight in the opposite direction necessary to make the POI match the POA. That is, if the POI is high and right from the POA, move the rear sight down and left or the front sight up and right. Fire another 3 to 5 shot group and note the amount and direction of the POI movement relative to the POA. Use this as a baseline for further adjustments.

Setting the gun up so that the POA is on the POI initially and then adjusting the rear sight to move the POI to the bullseye can work but it involves moving the gun in the rest if the first adjustment isn't sufficient. That disturbs the setup and can lead to having to fire more rounds than necessary.

Never, ever make a sight adjustment on the basis of the location of just one round.
Old May 12, 2011, 11:58 AM   #15
51colt

I saw this on another forum i made a peep sight out of a thumb screw. I drilled and taped a hole in the tang to mount it on my CVA Bobcat. I love the sight i shoot much better with it (bad eyes).

Here is my sight in target. Took me four shots to get sighted in. The hole at 9 o'clock is a fly-er. I shot this target @50yd offhand.