The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 14, 2012, 01:26 AM   #1
ccwnut

Wanting an XD, but can't decide.

Here's my dilemma: I would like to pick up an XD 9mm, but I can't decide between the Subcompact XD or the XDM9 Compact. Whichever one I get will have to be concealable and reasonably priced, have two mags, and easy to operate.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:40 AM   #2
tahunua001

the XDM would be a better option as it has higher ammo capacity than the XD and the edges have been more angled which would reduce printing. it also has adjustable grip sizes and magazine sleeves(for full sized mags) to give it a service length grip if desired. they are more expensive than the XD but in my opinion very worth it. my XDM45 compact is the most accurate handgun Ive ever owned.
Old December 14, 2012, 02:15 AM   #3
Pointer

Why a double stack 9mm?

I have been a 1911 man for 48 years... I figured I didn't need pray and spray "firepower" as much as reliable "stopping power", so I never worried over the maximum number of rounds in the magazine.

I was also an exceptionally good shot (Competition in the Army) consistently placing 5 match-rounds in one ragged hole at 25 yards in 10 seconds with a trusty Colt Gold Cup. So, I wasn't intimidated by the other guy's 19 rounds of "firepower". One of us would be dead after the first few rounds, leaving at least a dozen unused rounds in his gun.

All these years, I couldn't understand why the gun manufacturers wouldn't build a 45 ACP "pocket gun". I mean literally a 45 that could be carried in the front pocket of your trousers.

Most users of the 1911 were forced to carry a 38 snubby during hot weather.

FINALLY! Springfield showed they were listening when they produced this very handy little XDs (slim) in the much loved 45 ACP. It is now in my pocket, and it is flat and easier to get to than my car keys.

Why not consider an XDs as the carry gun you won't be leaving home for convenience sake.

After all, it ain't a carry gun if you don't carry it.

30-06 FOREVER
Old December 14, 2012, 02:25 AM   #4
TunnelRat

Quote:
I have been a 1911 man for 48 years... I figured I didn't need pray and spray "firepower" as much as reliable "stopping power", so I never worried over the maximum number of rounds in the magazine.

I was also an exceptionally good shot (Competition in the Army) consistently placing 5 match-rounds in one ragged hole at 25 yards in 10 seconds with a trusty Colt Gold Cup. So, I wasn't intimidated by the other guy's 19 rounds of "firepower". One of us would be dead after the first few rounds, leaving at least a dozen unused rounds in his gun.

All these years, I couldn't understand why the gun manufacturers wouldn't build a 45 ACP "pocket gun". I mean literally a 45 that could be carried in the front pocket of your trousers.

Most users of the 1911 were forced to carry a 38 snubby during hot weather.

FINALLY! Springfield showed they were listening when they produced this very handy little XDs (slim) in the much loved 45 ACP. It is now in my pocket, and it is flat and easier to get to than my car keys.

Why not consider an XDs as the carry gun you won't be leaving home for convenience sake.
Man that was a long walk down sidetrack lane to get to your point.
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 14, 2012, 04:32 AM   #5
Justice06RR

If you can afford the XDM9 compact, that is what I recommend. They hover around $600, while the XD9 are around $430 (at least in my area).

What is your budget?
Old December 14, 2012, 11:55 AM   #6
tahunua001

Quote:
for one, the XD/s has a very stout recoil. my hand was stinging after the first magazine I put through one. alternating between me and my younger brother we only made it through half a box of ammo before we decided to trade off for a full sized 1911. some people shoot enough to where hard kicking little mules do not bother them as bad but I am not one of those people any more.

secondly, the accuracy is pitiful, though this is probably a problem with inexperience rather than the inherent accuracy of the gun itself. with it there is no denying the very short sight radius and very narrow, short grips that just culminate to form a tiny gun that is hard to get a good grip on for anyone with larger than medium hands. I was barely hitting center mass at 5 yards with it and barely keeping to grazing shots at 15, my younger brother was barely keeping to paper. once we switched over to the 1911(I am not a 1911 fan and he's never shot one before) we were able to keep all of our shots inside center mass at 15 yards.

I regularly hit center mass sized targets at 35+ yards with my XDM compact and would never even dream of doing so with XD/S unless they expand the line to include 9mm(which given the success of the XD/S is probably an inevitability) but for now I will recommend those bulky double stacks for concealed carry. for me, it's just as easy to draw from an inside wasteband holster as it is to draw from a pocket holster and it's just about as easy to conceal as long as you aren't trying to hide a service sized pistol.
Old December 14, 2012, 02:58 PM   #7
ccwnut

I prefer 9mm, so...

I'll go with the Subcompact XD9. I just have to save up $424.77, that's the price I found at Cheaperthandirt.com. May eventually get the Compact XDM 9.
Old December 14, 2012, 06:23 PM   #8
dayman

The XDs I just bought came with a "xd gear" holster that says "fits XDs .45, .40, and 9mm", so I'd say the .40 and 9mm versions are on their way.
Old December 14, 2012, 07:25 PM   #9
Rmart30

I would save a little longer and get the XDM 9... its a little under $100 more than the price stated for the standard XD.
My first SA was a XD9sc, and my 2nd a 45c. Both were top notch, no failures of any kind with either one and I was happy with them until I made the mistake of picking up a XDM. The ergonomics IMO are so much better feeling. Its also not so "blocky" looking.

Here is the link for the XDM at that price.
http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupersto...2.cfm/ID/98569
Old December 15, 2012, 01:01 AM   #10
Pointer

Quote:
Man that was a long walk down sidetrack lane to get to your point.
Yes it was... I was selling my point as I went along.

Quote:
for one, the XD/s has a very stout recoil. my hand was stinging after the first magazine I put through one.
I think all "pocket" guns worth their weight in self-defense, have unpleasant recoil... They were not intended for recreational range shooting. AND in the final analysis, you won't be concerned with recoil when the adrenalin is flowing.

30-06 FOREVER
Old December 15, 2012, 01:13 AM   #11
Xfire68

XDM! The XDM not only has some better features it just plain looks better!
Old December 15, 2012, 02:22 AM   #12
jason_iowa

I think they are a fine carry gun. In fact ill probably buy one myself here in the next 5-10 purchases.

Last edited by jason_iowa; December 15, 2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old December 15, 2012, 08:35 AM   #13
seeker_two

I really like my XD9sc. Great-shooting gun with no failures. And small & light enough that I've never needed anything smaller.

I only wish Springfield would bring out a XD version with the sc lower & the 4" bbl. upper....that would be an awesome CCW.
Old December 15, 2012, 08:58 AM   #14
foxytwo

I have both a XDC and a XDSC and carry both. The XDSC is a little easier to conceal because of the shorter grip. I carry the XDC in the colder weather when I wear loose sweat shirts. Any pistol with a shorter grip is easier to conceal. Lots of choices out t here.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:49 AM   #15
tgreening

My every day carry gun is a 9mm XDM compact. I considered the sub-compact but in the end decided I liked something with a bit more bulk to it.

It carrys well and I have no concerns with it's size or imprint, either IWB or OWD. A finger extension on the short mag takes care of any grip comfort issues. For a while I carried a standard full size magazine with a grip spacer as my "backup", but I've since decided that the odds of me needing a 2nd magazine are probably exponentially greater than the odds of me ever having to pull the weapon in the first place. IOW, I don't carry it anymore as a rule.

I don't think you would be disappointed in the compact version. I would opt for the XdM though as you get the added benefit of the adjustable back straps. They make a difference.