The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 6, 2005, 11:02 AM   #1
agent00

good book about cape and ball revolver wound ballistics

hi, my new question is already in the subject line, and I would be pleased hearing a few book tipps.
Old November 6, 2005, 01:08 PM   #2
Gatofeo

The late gun writer Elmer Keith (1898 - 1984) wrote a book, "Sixguns" in the mid 1950s. i believe it is still in print, in its upteenth incarnation.
In "Sixguns" he included a chapter on cap and ball revolvers.
Keith learned how to load and shoot these revolvers from Civil War veterans when he grew up in Helena, Montana. In 1912, at the age of 13, he began carrying a Colt 1851 Navy in .36 caliber.
Keith recommended FFFG black powder for the .28 and .31 caliber revolvers, and FFG black powder for the .36 and .44 guns.
He didn't list loads by weight, but he instructed to pour in the powder until it almost filled the chamber, leaving room for a greased felt wad.
Keith punched felt wads from an old hat, and soaked them in a lubricant made of melted beeswax and tallow. Incidentally, Keith’s recommendation to use a greased felt wad under the ball is the earliest reference I’ve found on this practice. I don’t know if greased felt wads were used in the Old West.

Gatofeo notes: I use mutton tallow myself, available from Dixie Gun Works. I mix this with canning paraffin and beeswax, as measured by weight. The recipe is 1 part canning paraffin, 1 part mutton tallow and ½ part beeswax.

Keith goes on, "This wad was placed over the powder, then the ball rammed down with it until the ball was slightly below flush of the chamber.

"Gatofeo notes: I seat the wad as a separate operation, then seat the ball.

Keith notes, "A percussion sixgun thus loaded will shoot clean all day if you blow your breath through the bore a few times after each six rounds are fired. It will also shoot very accurately if it is a good gun.
"I had one .36 Navy Colt that had a pitted barrel, but with the above load it would cut clover leaves for its six shots, at 20 yards, all day with seated back and head rest and two hands used between the knees to further holding.
"For its size and weight nothing is so deadly as the round ball of pure lead when driven at fairly good velocity," Keith wrote. "Maximum loads give these slugs fairly high velocity from a 7-1/2 inch barrel gun.”

Keith knew two Civil War cavalrymen who had seen an enormous amount of battle in the Civil War.
Major R. E. Stratton fought in the Confederacy's 1st Texas Regiment. Samuel H. Fletcher fought in the Union's 2nd Illinois Cavalry.
"Both Maj. Stratton and Sam Fletcher told me the .36 Navy with full loads was a far better man-killer than any .38 Special they had ever seen used in gun fights," Keith wrote.
"Maj. Stratton said that for a man stopper he preferred the round ball with chamber full of FFG to the pointed conical bullet," Keith wrote. "Sam Fletcher also told me he preferred a pure lead round ball in his Navy Colts with chamber full of black powder, to the issued conical ball load.
"Fletcher claimed the round ball dropped enemy cavalrymen much better and took all the fight out of them, whereas the pointed bullet at times would only wound and leave them fighting.
"Fletcher stated, however, that when foraging and shooting cattle for meat, the pointed bullet was the best for body shots that had to be taken where penetration was needed. But that on all frontal shots on beef, the old round ball was plenty good and would reach the brain --- even on bulls.
"Major Stratton claimed that while the big Dragoon was slower for quick-draw work, once you had it in your hand it was the best cavalry pistol of all," Keith wrote. "It would drop a horse as easily as a man with its .45-caliber round or conical ball and 50 grains of FFG black powder."

Gatofeo notes: Interesting stuff, no?
Old November 6, 2005, 02:07 PM   #3
agent00

ok thx for your Interesting answer and I will buy a copy of sixguns soon.
Old November 8, 2005, 11:17 AM   #4
Steve499

Gatofeo, what size punch do you use to punch your wads out with?

Great info, Elmer Keith was one of my heroes.

Steve
Old November 23, 2005, 12:59 AM   #5
IZZY

You can get a modern six gun that shoots unjacketed lead...

like the 45LC

Lead goes "jiffy pop" when it hits bone...making larger injury...jackets have better penetration. For most civie use lead is superior.
Old December 2, 2005, 03:17 AM   #6
agent00

Thx again for the answers. and mayby I will buy an sixgun in 45 colt next year.