The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 27, 2005, 01:01 AM   #1
chaos

Torpille

Hi, I posted this in the semi-automatic forum, but this might be the better place. I just got a 7.65 Spanish Torpille, "Model Automatic Pistol", proof EIBAR 1934 from my father who got it in 1935. Would like any information about the gun; reliability, problems, etc. I understand they had a bit of a problem with feed. Interesting, the clip apparently is a bit short; my father had to put a match stick under the clip retainer to make it work. Info on this problem would be appreciated. Thanks, Chaos
Old June 21, 2009, 10:45 PM   #2
golliver

have the most complete 9 shot eibar collection,have never seen a 9shot, 7.65mm torpille,also referred to as a ruby pistol.Could you possibly describe your gun,ie st or curved serrations,serial range,would really appreciate an image ,if possible. I am in the midst of writing a book on 7.65mm pistols.
Old June 22, 2009, 01:01 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have never seen or heard of a "Torpille" pistol, so have no idea if it is the so-called "Ruby" type or not.

In that period, the Spanish made thousands of auto pistols and revolvers for export to the world. Most were poorly made, of low quality materials* and have little value today. Most stores won't take them in trade and few gunsmiths will work on them for liability reasons. The revolvers usually resembled Smith & Wesson revolvers and some were deceptively marked; both revolvers and pistols bore unusual names reminiscent of those used on the "suicide specials" of an earlier time.

I congratulate Golliver on his collection; it must be huge, and something I could never hope to obtain. Mathews shows some 167 7.65 auto pistols but his work is dated (1962) and doesn't include all the Eibar trade names.

*The cheap cast iron used is often called "pot metal" because it was the same material used to make cook pots. Recently some definitions of the term have confused it with zinc or other alloy, but the connection to the common European soup pot is obvious.

Jim
Old June 22, 2009, 03:22 PM   #4
SDC

You may get more info if you were to post a picture, particularly with close-ups of the markings; many of these pistols have markings that are none-too-clear, so it may just be a case of misreading the markings of this particular example.
Old June 22, 2009, 05:59 PM   #5
golliver

torpille

Thanks Jim,Ironically most of the 7.65 pistols in Mathews 2/3 are mine having got them from the S. Abermann/Dan byrne collections. I assume that Chaos never submitted an image on the original Torpille post.By the way,check out Vanderlindens book on Belgian Brownings,the first recorded 7.65 (model 1898) is mine,page 76. Joel