The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 18, 2009, 11:01 PM   #1
clueless

Parker Bros Shotgun Question

I am doing some research on a gun that my uncle inherited. I know nothing about any sort of gun whatsoever but here is some of the information that was on the gun. There was a date Est'd Jan 18-Aug 1867 then below that May 7 - Oct 8 1889. There was a number 3 and the letter D. On the barrel it says Parker Bros Makers Meriden, Conn. Titanic Steel. It is hammerless with two triggers. Also on the gun were a wk, 2, v, 3. Has Rat'd Mar 26. On the back of it, it says Ranger. Any help would be appreciated.
Old July 19, 2009, 02:54 AM   #2
darkgael

Parker

There is a very helpful forum dedicated completely to Parker Shotguns. See
http://www.parkerguns.org/forums/index.php.
Serial Number? Nothing that you mentioned sounds like a serial number.
You need to take the barrels off and look on the water table/the flats on the receiver.
Pete
Old July 19, 2009, 08:04 AM   #3
PetahW

[Est'd Jan 18-Aug 1867] - Parker Bros earliest production era - hammer guns.

[below that May 7 - Oct 8 1889.It is hammerless with two triggers.] -
That is one of the patent dates for the second hammerless, after the first hammerless guns (6mos prior) didn't work out.

[There was a number 3 and the letter D. Also on the gun were a wk, 2, v, 3. Has Rat'd Mar 26.] -
Pics would help, as would the specific location of each mark, are hammerless Parkers were marked with it's grade/quality, barrel code, etc.

[On the back of it, it says Ranger.] -
I've never seen the term/word/model/name "Ranger" associated with any genuine Parker Bros SxS, and can find no mention of it in my Parker reference books. - can you provide a pic and/or location ?
If it's on the BP, the BP could be a replacement.
Old July 19, 2009, 02:41 PM   #4
clueless

I have been searching a bunch of forums about it and one of the things I have read is that you should never post a serial number. I don't know why that is. One of these pics shows the ranger on the end.

Last edited by clueless; July 19, 2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Pictures didnt show
Old July 19, 2009, 03:06 PM   #5
RJay

Disregard the Ranger, that's just an old replacement butt plate. I was very puzzled about that also. If for some reason you are hesitant about posting a serial number then X out the last 2 or 3 numbers. I'm of the opinion ( key word opinion ) that the only reason not to post a serial number is if it it is a stolen gun or you think it may have been stole.
Old July 19, 2009, 03:23 PM   #6
clueless

I know it has been in his family since it was purchased so the serial is 1323XX and then it says patent number 105358.
Old July 19, 2009, 03:57 PM   #7
PetahW

Thank you for posting the pics, even though there's none of the barrel breeches and the chamber undersides.

What gauge is it ?

I can't make out the watertable markings (too small for old eyes), but I have both good news and not-so-good news.

Your uncle's shotgun was manufactured in 1905.

I cannot be sure, but the watertable will have the frame size, usually commensurate with the gauge.

In looking at the particular engraving pattern, it looks like your uncle's gun is a grade "D", "H" (hammerless), and maybe also an "E" if it has ejectors (you didn't say, and there's no pic).

That is supported by the letter "D", you report it has.

So, it's either a DH or a DHE grade, IMO.

To give you an idea of where that falls, in the Parker scheme of things, the Parker hammerless grades are (from the best to lowest): Invincible, A-1 Special, AAH, A, B, C, D, G, P, VH, Trojan.

That said, it's time for the "not-so-good" news, most of which you already know, and some of which I don't, due to no barrel pics or condition description.

"Condition" is everything, and with Parker shotguns, the value is based upon the remaining percentage of the receiver's case hardening colors - and your gun appears to have none left.
Due to the lack of info, I cannot comment on the barrels.

The forend checkering is obviously seriously worn off.

The buttstock needs replacement - an expensive proposition, for restoration - if you had that in mind at some time.
The "Ranger" recoil pad is an aftermarket addition, and the stock may/may not have been shortened for it's installation - it doesn't make any difference, because of the wrist break/repair and the gone checkering.
Unless it's to be kept "as is" , for a momento, it needs to be replaced.

Other than that, it's an example of what many of those guns were - hard-used tools.

Last edited by PetahW; July 19, 2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old July 19, 2009, 05:28 PM   #8
darkgael

Parker

Looks a lot like my VH, also made in 1905. Mine has
much simpler engraving. When I bought it, three years ago,
it cost me $400. A few months later in Anchorage, AK, I saw
a VH in less fine condition and the asking price was $1000.
Go figure.
Pete
Old July 19, 2009, 06:19 PM   #9
clueless

I am not sure on gauge. It seems large like maybe you could fit a nickel inside. I am also not sure what an ejector is. It hasn't been shot for close to fifty years and I don't want to clean itin case I mess anything up. I am adding a few more pictures. Thank you for all of your help.
IMG]http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq161/tylerjealbum/gun024.jpg[/IMG]

Old July 19, 2009, 07:03 PM   #10
PetahW

The forend wood is the optional semi-beavertail (a "splinter" forend was standard), and that case is called a "leg 'o mutton" guncase.

The "extractors" are the quarter-circle parts, at the lower half of each chamber, which slide away from the barrel/chamber, towards the rear, when the gun is opened, to remove (extract) the shell from the chamber.
If there is one for each barrel, instead of a single, double-width unit serving both barrels, there's a good chance the gun has ejectors - which are "kicking" extractors that throw fired shells (only) from the gun for a rapid reload.
Additionally, they may/may not be in good repair.

I sold a pristine (98%) 16ga 1937 Remington-era Parker VHE Skeet Gun, with virtually every option offered at the time it was made, 8 years ago for $4500.

Last Winter, I saw a very similar VHE Skeet Gun sell for $15,000.
There are Parkers, and then, there are Parkers.

Last edited by PetahW; July 19, 2009 at 07:15 PM.