The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 19, 2009, 02:45 PM   #1
jsgtexas

JP Sauer 38H Trigger Bar Replacement

This J P Sauer Model 38H pistol was brought back after the war by my uncle. When he was showing the double action by dry firing it before giving it to my dad, the trigger bar broke. I obtained replacement trigger bars from Numrich a few years back and have been trying to replace it, to no avail.

There must be some specific procedure to successfully replace it, unless the trigger bar replacement itself is not correct.

Is there anyone "out there" that can send be the procedure to follow?

Thanks for any help.
Old June 19, 2009, 08:01 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

No big trick. With the right grip off and magazine removed, look at the trigger through the hole in the frame. You will see a hole in the trigger. The front pin of the trigger bar goes through that hole. The second, longer and pointed pin goes on top of the trigger spring extension you can also see.

Cock the hammer, using the cocking lever. Then put the rear end of the trigger bar into the slot, moving the magazine safety lever up so it fits under the sear bar. Now, pull the trigger so that the front pin can be inserted into the hole in the trigger. Holding the trigger back, the rear pin should go over the spring and the sear bar should snap in place. If not, a third hand or a vise may be needed to push the spring down using the hole in the left side of the frame for access. Make sure the magazine safety lever is in place and that everything works before putting the grip back on.

Jim
Old June 25, 2009, 01:09 PM   #3
jsgtexas

Thanks

Thanks for the procedure. I will give it a try and tell you how I faired.
Old June 25, 2009, 03:04 PM   #4
jsgtexas

Jim:

Thanks, again, for the procedure you sent me.

Apparently, I have more problems. I could get it in, but it seems to not fit tightly against the sear to release the cocked hammer.

At one point, I almost had the double-action working, but it wouldn't complete the cocking of the hammer.

When I received the trigger bar from Numrich (long ago), I noticed that it didn't exactly match the original. The replacement has a longer front pin (than the original) and the "back pin" is not pointed (as the original) nor does it have a ridge cut in it where the spring should rest on top of it.

I'm going to call Numrich and see if they have a better matching trigger bar.

And, years ago my dad took the trigger and trigger spring out. Could he have put the spring in backwards?

My 38H is one of the rare models with a serial number of 272###. It has all the markings stamped where they should be and it has the external safety. It also has the original grips and two magazines.

I'm about to take out the trigger and trigger spring and put it back together.

Any further hints or help are greatly appreciated.

I'm determined to get this firearm working.

John
Old June 25, 2009, 09:13 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

That arm of the spring fits under the long pin (the pointed on in the original); its bearing on the pin is what pushes the sear bar up to engage the sear. If your replacement doesn't have the point or the groove around that pin, I suggest you use a file to make it look like the original and things will work better.

As to the reason the bar doesn't go in all the way in the back, I don't know, but you might try manipulating the hammer to see if that helps. It sounds like what you have is a repro part, not uncommon with Gun Parts when there is a demand and no supply. Most of their repro parts will work or can be made to work, but sometimes they are just plain wrong and can't be made to fit.

Jim
Old July 2, 2009, 05:00 PM   #6
jsgtexas

Thanks, again, Jim.

I will be calling Numrich to see if they have a trigger bar with the point and the groove.

If not, I will be filin' and fittin'.

Tags
model 38h , sauer , trigger bar