The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 30, 2006, 02:15 PM   #1
bobbg

Info needed

Reciently traded for a 7.65 simi auto and am trying to get some info on it. It appears to be a replica of a Colt 1903. Markings on the slide are MODEL AUTOMATIC PISTOL CAL 7.65. 'TORPILLE' and in much smaller print Ermua 1924. I have been told it is Spanish. Does any have any background information on this piece?
Bob
Old August 31, 2006, 08:40 AM   #2
jacobtowne

According to my only source on the subject, the Torpille is a Spanish copy of the M1903 Browning, manufacturer unknown.
JT

Bob in St. Louis is the resident expert on Spanish pistols at gunboards.

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=70
Old September 1, 2006, 02:29 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I hope you didn't trade too much. Those Spanish .32 autos are of little value and of poor quality, made from inferior metal little better than cast iron.

There are no parts available and most gunsmiths refuse to waste time on them if they break.

Jim
Old September 6, 2006, 09:45 PM   #4
bobbg

Thanks for the information guys. Jim you are correct about this being a cheap made pistol. Thankfully I have very little invested. It shoots fairly well as a plinker. Wouldnt dare carry the piece. With its flakey safety it is a accident waiting.
Bob
Old September 15, 2006, 11:40 AM   #5
MarcusZ

Ruby

Your gun probably looks pretty much like the one on the link below.
http://www.mbi.ufl.edu/~papke/curios/Ruby.JPG

These pistols were generically known as Rubys, after the model name of the version made by Gabilondo (Llama). The French government contracted Gabilondo to make many, many tens of thousands of these pistols for their army in World War 1. In order to meet the demand, Gabilondo shared the contract, first with other major Spanish companies like Star and Astra, and then with many smaller firms. During the war, as more parts and whole weapons were brought in from questionable sources, quality declined drastically. After the war, production of these guns continued and quality never improved very much. Nonetheless, real Gabilondo guns, and those made by Star and Astra, are not too bad and if they have French WW1 military acceptance marks they have some collectors value, but realistically only about $200-400.
The French Military acceptance marks are stars on both sides of the magazine well.
http://www.mbi.ufl.edu/~papke/curios/ruby-3.JPG

Another concern about these guns is that they were not well standardized and the magazines are not all interchangeable. A collectable pistol will have matching marks on the frame and magazine. In the case of the Gabilondo pistols, the mark was a "GU"
http://www.mbi.ufl.edu/~papke/curios/Ruby4.JPG

Marcus

Last edited by MarcusZ; September 15, 2006 at 11:41 AM. Reason: corrected link
Old June 26, 2009, 10:34 AM   #6
golliver

Bob,am tn the midst of writing a text on7.65mm pistols.I have never seen a TORPILLE in 7.65mm.I just received an image from an english auction showing a Torpille as a 7 shot,with the safety behind the grip,LUGS, the text,describes it as a 9 shot army ruby pistol.If you still have this or remember its characteristics,is it a 7 shot ,st or curved serrations, position of the manual safety.Sorry for the inconvience,would really appreciate some insight.Possibly coould have been made as a 5,7 and 9shot. Joel