The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 23, 2007, 11:35 AM   #1
Herkemer

Riverside SXS 12ga. exposed hammers

I'm new to this forum. I have been doing some reading in the forum and have a question concerning an old SXS shotgun. This shotgun, a Riverside, may be according to some forum answers a Model 315 or 215 Stevens and/or Savage. I need some parts for the gun but can't proceed unless I know which it is...315 or 215....if either.
Old October 27, 2007, 08:09 AM   #2
J F Cooper

Stevens

Herkemer: Stevens has made many models of both hammerless and exposed hammer shotguns over he years. I cant tell you for sure which model you have, however, I can tell you which one you dont have.. The Model 315 was a hammerless gun.. J F
Old October 27, 2007, 08:54 AM   #3
Hawg

It's probably the same as a Stevens 255 or 265. Being a hammer gun it probably was made by Riverside before Stevens took them over.
Old October 27, 2007, 09:22 AM   #4
J F Cooper

Riverside

Hawg: I think you;ll find that Riverside was not a maker, but a trade name of Stevens,, They didn't have to buy them out, they always owned the name and used it from 1915 to 1940..J F
Old October 27, 2007, 09:36 AM   #5
Hawg

Riverside was an arms manufacturer in the latter part of the 19'th and early part of the 20'th century. They were acquired by Stevens in 1920 or thereabouts. Stevens used the name until the mid 40's. Don't believe everything you read in Wikipedia.
Old October 27, 2007, 10:33 AM   #6
J F Cooper

Riverside

Hawg;; I don;t think it's a good Idea to believe everything you read anywhere.. You seem quite sure and I'm always eager to learn, so could you cite your source of information....J F
Old October 27, 2007, 10:50 PM   #7
Hawg

J.F., not right offhand I can't. It's in a book on antique guns which is up at my moms and I don't really remember which one. After my last divorce I moved a lot of my stuff up there for storage including all my books. It's in my head because I have a few Riversides and I looked them up in it several years ago. Which is also the reason I didn't quote exact dates because I don't remember the exact dates. I looked online and found a few references on other forums but that doesn't really prove anything, even found references of it on Wiki which also states it wasn't a separate co. on other listings.