The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 28, 2005, 05:18 PM   #1
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Short charge to clear a squib?

Anybody that's ever had a squib knows what it's like to have a shooting session ruined, especially if you only brought one gun. Now I remember from my naval gunnery days that we kept a reduced charge, blank load called a short charge available to clear a squib. That wasn't a luxury; it was necessary to prevent a cook-off of HE rounds. Anyhow, could this be done with handguns or rifles to clear a squib? For .45 ACP, I was thinking of loading in the neighborhood of half a grain of 231 capped with a wax plug, & keep one or two in my shooter's box. Seems it would beat the hell out of the dowel rod thing, IF it would work, and IF it were safe! What say ye?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old November 28, 2005, 06:07 PM   #2
rapier144

Alot depends on what type of pistol you're shooting. Shooting a squib load in a H&K usp isn't suppose to hurt them.
Old November 28, 2005, 06:19 PM   #3
steveno

so are you saying the bullet is stuck in the barrel? you do not shoot something behind a stuck bullet to clear the bullet from the barrel. that is why the gunsmiths make the big bucks to fix these kinds of mistakes
Old November 28, 2005, 06:21 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

It would depend on the gun. A revolver would let all the pressure from a charge that small out through the barrel/cylinder gap before it moved the bullet. But in theory, if it is a single bullet, it should be possible to do. I would try more like 2 grains in a big bore, but it should go. The thing you need to be careful of is that only one bullet got stuck. If there is more than one in the tube, you need to knock it out. I keep a small hammer with screwdrivers in its handle in my pistol box. A hammer and a brass rod would take care of the problem too.

Nick
Old November 28, 2005, 07:21 PM   #5
steveno

well you try it with your guns and I would like to see the before and after pictures
Old November 28, 2005, 07:22 PM   #6
Russ5924

Don't think I would try that.A brass rod or even a hard wood dowel will get it out.If it is jacketed will come out hard but a lead bullet should come out very easy.There is only one in there RIGHT
Old November 28, 2005, 07:46 PM   #7
XavierBreath

I'd say don't do it. There is no reason to. Get a dowel rod.
Old November 28, 2005, 07:53 PM   #8
deadin

Just don't do this:

Dean
Old November 28, 2005, 08:03 PM   #9
Jim Watson

Hatcher did some work in that area and said it could be done. But in those days men were men and some of them were Superintendant of Springfield Armory. We are more cautious now.

Just as a subject for discussion, I don't think half a grain of powder would be enough for a jacketed bullet. Cast maybe.

As Steveno says, if you try it with your gun, let us know if it works.

Pick out the wax plug first, that might be enough to ring the barrel, and hold vertical.

Y'all be careful, now, you hear?
Old November 28, 2005, 10:14 PM   #10
Leftoverdj

Sounds like a good way to ruin a barrel to me. Iffen I had a jacketed bullet stuck in a .45 barrel, I'd drive it out with a length of 7/16 drill rod with radiused and polished corners and a cupped end.
Old November 29, 2005, 06:50 PM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

OK, you guys have given me pause & cause to think. Bottom line: it may or may not work, but it ain't without risk, and pistol barrels aren't artillery barrels (well, most of 'em aren't, anyway ). Guess I'll carry a dowel rod and do a whole lot of cussin' , which'll make me feel better about the whole thing anyway, if it happens . Thanks guys.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old November 29, 2005, 07:34 PM   #12
Leftoverdj

You'll do more cussing if you carry a dowel. The wood can splinter and jam the bullet even worse. Go with steel, brass, or aluminum.
Old November 30, 2005, 11:20 AM   #13
Jeeper

I have done it in my earlier days and it does work. I also didnt have any problem with the barrel afterwards. If I said how expensive the gun was that I did it on some people would come kick my a$$. I am not recomending it but I just pulled a bullet with pliers and loaded a case with just powder into the chamber and shot it.
Old November 30, 2005, 02:38 PM   #14
caz223

Sounds like you need to put more care into PREVENTING squib loads, and just get the appropriately sized range rods.
If you don't have to use 'em they're not a pain to use......
Old January 21, 2006, 09:44 PM   #15
22bore

When confronted with this problem, I bought a bolt that was just smaller than the barrel and wrapped it with teflon tape. The bolt head makes a good surface to strike with the hammer.

Add a rolled up patch first to adapt to the bullet. If the bullet is stubborn, add ant low viscosity lubricant and wait a bit.

This has made me the hero of the range on mant occasion.
Old January 21, 2006, 10:15 PM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

A squib load behind a stuck bullet is a good way to ring a barrel.

I wouldn't do it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 22, 2006, 01:32 AM   #17
Archie

Squib load rod...

My local Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) sells threaded brass rod in various diameters. They sell in various lengths, I find the 12" length to be handy for most handguns. The brass is softer than rifle barrel, and the threading will crush if it jams the side of the bore.

A 5/16" (.3125") threaded brass rod is perfect for the 36 caliber family. I think (check it yourself) the 10 or 12 size rod is good for 22s. 7/16" is good for .45s but may be just a bit large for .44 (.429"). 3/8" (.375) should do for .44 and probably .45 too. As long as you're at the hardware place, buy a plastic mallet if you don't have one. The plastic mallet will hit pretty hard, but won't screw up the finish when you do the last smack and hit the muzzle.

I've only used these on handguns, but OSH sells a two or three foot length of the same brass rod that should do for rifles. I really don't want to think about squibing a rifle round...

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old January 22, 2006, 01:41 AM   #18
Hoss Fly

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING NONONONONO
Old January 22, 2006, 02:49 PM   #19
Bullet94

Leftoverdj Quote – “You'll do more cussing if you carry a dowel. The wood can splinter and jam the bullet even worse. Go with steel, brass, or aluminum.”

As Leftoverdj said do not use wood. I’ve used wood and had it break off in the barrel (a real mess). I bought a threaded brass rod at the hardware store like Archie suggests and it works great.
Old January 23, 2006, 09:12 AM   #20
leckie66

I would never try it, its asking for trouble ..the damage you may cause is not worth it. a trip to the gunsmith is better than a trip to the hospital,,or worse yet,,the morgue
Old January 23, 2006, 12:28 PM   #21
Crosshair

Why is shooting a standard pressure load with no bullet to clear a bullet stuck in the bore (Possibly caused by a light load) a bad idea? A bullet in a standard round is "stuck" in the bore at the breech. What difference does it make where along the bore it is stuck? I thought it is when you put another round WITH the bullet in it into the chamber and fire it is where you get problems?
Old January 23, 2006, 12:48 PM   #22
Polydorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Charlie
Now I remember from my naval gunnery days that we kept a reduced charge, blank load called a short charge available to clear a squib. That wasn't a luxury; it was necessary to prevent a cook-off of HE rounds.
The Navy had you doing that because it was the only safe alternative. A fast way to get back into action also.
Old January 23, 2006, 03:01 PM   #23
caz223

That, and you were operating with cannon barrels, made of good stuff.
There are few modern day guns that actually use cannon barrel type steel for their barrels.
Even using the proper materials, in today's day and age, I really doubt they use enough of the good steel to make this possible.
Load good ammo.
Stop if there's a problem.
Use common sense.
Chances are, you'll never need a range rod, but if you do, get the RIGHT one, and use it correctly.
Old January 23, 2006, 05:15 PM   #24
Polydorus

BTW, McMaster - Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ has both threaded Brass and Silicon Bronze rods up to two meters long if you can't find it locally. The Bronze looks a little pricey.