The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2013, 09:52 PM   #1
ZOOM2X

color cartridge cases

I started to order 70 boxes in different sizes and colors from J & J today for $213 or so but when the freight came out at $97 I deleted the order and sent them an email re the freight. We'll see if they get right. They apparently have had the issue raised since the site says if your freight is too high let them know and they will do something. I want to know BEFORE I order.

http://jandjproducts.com./products.php?cat=8

NRA Benefactor

Last edited by ZOOM2X; January 12, 2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: correct 60 to 70
Old January 12, 2013, 10:01 PM   #2
TennJed

Are they 100rd or 50rd boxes? I get mine locally at Sportsman's Warehouse. They are $1.99 for 50rd and $3.99 for 100. Gotta pay tax, but no shipping.

I did order some from Grafs one time and they were reasonable with shipping
Old January 13, 2013, 05:41 AM   #3
Sevens

In my rotation...I've got old Midway, newer Frankford Arsenal, MTM, J&J and one REALLY old yellow one that may be from the 60s...or earlier.

But the bulk of my boxes? Berry's, for sure. They are all I'll buy these days. I like them better than any of the others. The plastic is pliable, not rubbery but not at all stiff like it'll crack. Haven't even come close to wearing them out, either.

Berry's have a pretty low price compared to what I see from J&J...but if you are willing to buy a slew of them all in one size and a single color, then you can get a KILLER low price. Ask some friends, it's not hard to split 50 of them up between buddies.

Their shipping is free if you order $75 of stuff. Not hard to do if you like their slugs, too.

Berry's one of my favorites in our entire industry. I should be a paid spokesman for 'em!
Old January 13, 2013, 06:27 AM   #4
ZOOM2X

Sevens -- Thanks. I'll check out Berry's

TennJed -- Both 100 and 50 rd. Looks like Sporstsman's Warehouse in TN is in Chattanooga and I am in Johoson City -- close to 4 hours away depending on traffic going through Knoxville (which is much better now that the I-40 and 1-75 upgrade is finished) but it's still over 3 and I rarely go there. I'll keep looking. No hurry.

Since I am starting from scratch I wanted to get different colors for different calibers (and, of course, they will all be labeled)

NRA Benefactor
Old January 13, 2013, 07:52 AM   #5
jj320

How close are you to severville there is a basspro there not sure of the price
Old January 13, 2013, 04:22 PM   #6
ZOOM2X

Sevierville is too far -- 100 miles. Both Cabela's and Bass Pro are under construction off I-81 in Bristol (20 miles away).

Bass Pro is building a 100,000 sq. ft. store in Bristol, TN at Exit 74 (last exit before entering VA), just behind the TN Welcome Center, as you enter TN southbound from VA. They just announced a 9,000 sq. ft. addition, total now @ 109,000 sq. ft., for a powersports department (boats, PWC, ATV, etc.).

Cabela's is building an 85,000 sq. ft. store off I-81 at Exit 5 in Bristol, VA, obviously 5 miles into VA from the TN line.

NRA Benefactor
Old January 13, 2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Moby

Shipping should not be that high onplastic boxes.

It's price manipulation
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old January 13, 2013, 05:56 PM   #8
Sevens

If you look at the J&J website, it seems horribly obvious that they have some manner of a software problem that causes freakish shipping calculations. It says plain as day on the right side of the screen that if you see some unusually HIGH shipping quotes, contact them to solve the issue.

It sounds like they know that something is awry.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:00 PM   #9
ZOOM2X

Sevens
Yes, I said that in the OP. They have not had time to reply. We'll see.

Moby
May just be a software problem. We'll see. Some places sell low but kill you on shipping and handling. I just want to know the cost BEFORE i order.

NRA Benefactor
Old January 13, 2013, 08:03 PM   #10
Sevens

Ha ha, sorry, I missed where you'd said that.
It was LATE last night when I read that!

Even so...the Berry's prices if you can find a way to split up a bulk order -- just kinda BLOW AWAY those prices at J&J.

I like the single J&J box that I have, I'd happily welcome more in my stash of stuff. But I can't see 'em at that price, even if the shipping came free.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:06 PM   #11
ZOOM2X

Sevens

I know what you mean. I sometimes get up at 3:30 or so to pee and get on the computer as long as I am up.

i did hear from J and J. Freight will be $26 but I have decided that they are too expensive. I'll order from Berry's.

While I would like 6 box colors (only J and J has 6 colors) for the 6 calibers I planned to reload (.25, .380, .38 SPL, 9MM, .45ACP, .45LC) I have decided to load only 4 (delete the .25 and .38 SPL) so the 4 colors from Berry's will be all I need for now.

Now to decide which bullets to order for the 4 calibers. Target only. For SD, I'll buy factory -- same cartridges as local police.

NRA Benefactor