The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 6, 2012, 12:01 PM   #1
c.read

300 Win Mag long range

So I have a Remington 700 in the 300 win mag I am a decent shot see picture that is at 100 yards. I want to start shooting long range I want to be able to consistently hit man size target at 1000 yards. I have sierra match king 200 grain with BC .565 does any one have a good recipe for this round so I can shoot this far. Second is with my current barrel after 15 shots it gets real hot. Do I need a heavier barrel. If so what length, twist and who should I go with brand wise? Thanks for any response.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1339001680658.jpg (17.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1339002060412.jpg (84.1 KB, 23 views)
Old June 6, 2012, 01:09 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Can't help you with the loads but as to the hot barrel...

Shoot slower.
Old June 6, 2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Howard31

300 Win Mag

I shoot a Savage 112BVSS with 24" Fluted Brl. If you shoot F-Class or Long Range 15-20 shot strings are not unusual and neither is the brl getting hot. If the rifle has a fairly heavy brl it should not affect your zeros radically if it is bedded and the Brl is free floating. If your zero changes , dope as you go.
Seirra 200 grain MK is an excellent choice. H4831 SC is a great powder as is IMR 4350. Federal 215 M's are hard to beat.
Old June 6, 2012, 05:58 PM   #4
hooligan1

I think that group at 100yds is killer dude! You could use that load and squash some 1000 yd stuff. Get out and do it man.( then post the picks on this thread dude)
Old June 6, 2012, 07:50 PM   #5
deepcore

Second that ....shoot slower.
I have a rig built on what could be the same model as yours (can't tell if the barrel profile is the same just by looking at the pic)....what's the outside diameter at the muzzle?
I shoot 50 rounds in 4 hours on average (sometimes 100 rounds) and giving time between shots or groups of 2 to 3 shots. Barrel never gets too hot to touch.

But if you start competing... those shot strings will warm up a thinner barrel faster.

You need to factor some thigs in whatever heavier barrel you choose...if you join clubs/shoots that require you to carry your rig up and down trails (like some unknown distance shoots) you'll have to decide how much your willing to carry.
If all you're going to be doing is carrying your rig from the car to the bench.... main battle tank cannon diameter might be fine.

Don't have recipes for that SMK...only shoot A-Maxs...cheaper. Still accurate.

I think I read somewhere to find a bullet (and load) you like and build the barrel around it (choose twist, length,etc. based on that).

I couldn't tell you which barrel brands are better they will all shoot better that me.

Meantime run that factory barrel into the ground in practice...and use it at 1000 yds too.