The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2011, 09:31 PM   #1
ebell46

Static holding powder

A few days ago I set up to reload a few dozen 30-06 rounds. As I was setting up my powder measure, its an RCBS uniflow if it makes a difference. Anyway, each drop was throwing drastically different amounts of powder, then I noticed powder was getting stuck to the sides of the hopper and drop tube. I measure on a scale each charge anyway so safety was not a factor, it was just a pain having to add powder to each charge. It has been humid the past few weeks and I keep a dehumidifier running in my loading room. Anybody have some tricks for solving this or should I put up with it till the humidity drops?
Old August 23, 2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Jim243

Easy, wipe all the plastic (and metal) parts down with a used or new drier fabric sheet (anti-cling), works every time.

Jim

Also put large washers on top of the powder, it gives consistant pressure on the powder and helps uniform each drop till you get half way down and then you need to add more powder.

Last edited by Jim243; August 23, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old August 23, 2011, 09:58 PM   #3
ebell46

Thanks,
I'll have to try the static sheets and the washers. Will a powder baffle interfere with the washers?
Old August 23, 2011, 10:23 PM   #4
Jim243

Washers might interfer with the baffle, never used one, just don't let the powder get down that low then it shouldn't be a problem.

Jim
Old August 23, 2011, 10:29 PM   #5
oldreloader

I buy the cheap dryer sheets and leave one in the hopper when not in use.
Old August 23, 2011, 10:37 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Did you thoroughly clean the Uniflow, before you set it up? They come coated in a preservative that does not play well with powder. (I'm assuming it was new. Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot. )

You'll also have more issues with static when the humidity level is low.
Old August 24, 2011, 06:28 AM   #7
PA-Joe

You also have to learn how to double tap on the up and down strokes. This will help settle the powder in the measure and make certain that it all falls out and into the case.
Old August 24, 2011, 12:50 PM   #8
ebell46

I did clean the hopper and all parts of the powder measure. I also use a consistent motion with the "double tap". It has thrown consistent charges before, it has just been particularly humid in new England this summer. Ill try the dryer sheets next time I load.
Old August 24, 2011, 05:55 PM   #9
dickttx

What oldreloader said. I keep a new one rolled up inside each of my powder hoppers.
Good tip on the washer. Think I will try that.