The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 30, 2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Tomsfiretruck

Re: Newbie Question

The barrel is Octagon
It is a steel model
Round backed trigger guard
Brass BS/TG

There appears to be some kind of engraving on the cylinder

The only marks I could read was the AD, but there appears to be several other types of marks. Possible Mfg maker?

It would be my intenetion to re-enact as an individual who rode with the cavalry. This gun would be typical for the period, possibly except for the length of the barrel.

At my age, doubtful, I would be riding a horse any time soon.

I'm itchy to buy, but have to overcome the other half's aversion to firearms, even though this one would would be more for show that shot.

Thanks all for the input.

Tom in Temple, TX

Last edited by Tomsfiretruck; November 30, 2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old November 30, 2009, 11:46 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

Tom,

From the description, it is a short barreled 1851 Navy in .44 cal. The octagonal barreled '51 Navies were all .36 caliber. So it is not a reproduction of any historical firearm and wouldn't be suitable for a reenactor at a juried event.

However, being steel framed and in excellent condition from your description, the $139 for it is a real good price. You should have a lot of fun shooting it.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce