The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 15, 2009, 08:06 PM   #1
hometheaterman

How to get rust out of the barrel of a muzzleloader?

So I have a Remington Genesis muzzleloader with the blued barrel. I cleaned it about a week and a half ago. I went to shoot it the next day and wiped the excess oil out of the barrel and loaded it with pyrodex pellets and a powerbelt bullet. Anyway, I let it sit loaded until muzzle loader season ended which was yesterday. So about a week and a half. Anyway, I unloaded it today and swabbed the barrel to make sure it was clean. The patches are coming out brown. All I can figure is rust.

I'm using patches with rubbing alcohol on them to clean it and I've done a few swipes with a brush too.

Is there anything else I should do or keep running patches until they get clean? Any I going to have ruined this muzzleloader or is it fine? Seems odd it would rust in a week and a half.
Old November 16, 2009, 07:29 AM   #2
darkgael

Rust

Quote:
it would rust in a week and a half.
Nope. You can get rust in a barrel in a few hours.
Getting it out is hard work. I've a Lyman GPR that I bought used. It is a great shooter. BUT.....no matter what I do or how ever many patches I run, they never come out clean. Never.
The gun shoots great despite that - 1.5" at 100 yards with PRB. When I drop a bore light down the barrel, it looks nice and shiny. Run a patch down - comes out dirty. Go figure.
The tried and true way to remove rust from a barrel is to lap it with a lapping compound. This requires that you make a lead lap fitted to the bore.
There are others who know more about the process than I.
You could also try wrapping a bore brush with steel wool and coating that with a lapping compound. You have to be careful, though, not to damage the rifling.
Pete
Old November 16, 2009, 07:40 AM   #3
mykeal

0000 steel or better yet, brass, wool, wrapped around a tight fitting cleaning jag, then saturated with a rust remover such as Kroil or Liquid Wrench. Many, many strokes required.

Very unlikely the barrel is damaged. It will come clean eventually. You'll need to remove the breech plug to get the breech area clean, however.
Old November 16, 2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Pahoo

BP and Pyro are not very forgiving on letting it sit. I have found even a fraction of an hour can start to show rust. My measure is that the rust you are seeing, is still pretty green and will clean up eventually. I doubt that you have gotten into the pitting stage. Now, other replacement propellants are a bit more forgiving but you can't let them sit either. If I cannot clean that evening, I remove the barrel and secure it in the verticle position. Plug the vent or orifice in the nipple and fill the barrel with mineral spirits, till I can clean. I also have a 2" piece of PVC pipe that allows me to completely submerge the barrel.

Be Safe !!!