The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 24, 2009, 06:10 AM   #51
Doc Hoy

Here is a question for Hardy

Hardy,

You may be in a position to validate a feeling that I have had for a lot of years. I am of the opinion that there is a significant portion of cap and ball pistol purchasers who never shoot their pistol(s).

I think the profile is of a person who gets a maximum of three pistols whether new or used. They are usually brass frame pistols, because brass frame pistols are pretty to those who favor the appearance of shining brass. Brass frame pistols are cheaper so the person who is indifferent to the relative qualities of brass and steel (I don't mean to resurrect the brass versus steel discussion) has no reason to spend the extra 40 or so bucks.

So in your business you see a lot of pistols that fit this description:

Pistols which are never or very seldom fired, pistols that are brass frame, and pistols that are generally at the low end of the cost spectrum. (I am not trying to put words in your mouth here.)

I would draw from that information that the owner fits a certain profile as well:

I am reaching way out here but I would presume that the person who owns the pistol does not know a lot about black powder revolvers or black powder shooting. They have a good bit of unused stuff with the pistol. They have largely lost interest. I have bought two of my pistols in this way plus one Kentucky rifle which I traded as part of a deal on a milling machine.

Nothing wrong with this profile. People do with their money as they please and as an ardent libertarian I am the last person on earth to criticize.

But is this what you see?
Old October 26, 2009, 08:59 PM   #52
Hardy

Doc-I agree. But--here in Sc I think they want to make sure they have a REB model. Anyway that's a good excuse for getting one way under 200.00. I was talking about the cheapest Pietta,an unscrolled cylinder 1851 navy 44c. I don't like the cocking action. It seems to go from half cock to full cock too quickly. Now the Brass Navy 44 w/ scrolled cylinder is a pretty good feeling gun w/no roughedge in the feel of last cock. It cost maybe 20 or so more but well worth it. I would put all my treasures away and fire that one at the range. You get what you pay for. Check out the scrolled cylinder brass navy and compare it to the unscrolled one. I don't want to fill chambers of BP in a gun and shoot it if I think a malfunction might occur with me laying on my back with parts laying all over my chest. But BP shooters do get tired of them and lay them up on their mantel. I did. It was March of 2009 before I shot one since the late 70's I think you guys should order that gold and nichol 1860 Army from Cabella--our gunsmith said it was the bestest of the best as far as looks, feel etc. And perfect polishing and action. But it might be to fancy for you,but it is a beautiful gun though.I'm glad I orderd one for the shop--and if no one buys it soon--it's mine
WDH
Old October 27, 2009, 07:10 PM   #53
Hawg

The gold wont last long if you actually use it or handle it too much.
Old October 27, 2009, 07:52 PM   #54
TomADC

Years ago many years ago, you could buy a kit that allowed you to fill the lettering etc with gold. Not sure these are still available, but if they were I'd do my 1851 Navys.
Old October 28, 2009, 02:31 AM   #55
arcticap

Brownell's lists that and it's named the Bonanza Gold Kit for $13.80.
It also has a user review that gave it a 5 star rating.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=1...d_Kit?review=1
Old October 29, 2009, 06:26 PM   #56
Hardy

You're right, the gold won't last long but it is well put together. I guess you could put a spare cylinder in it or just shoot it and keep it polished. The more economical pietta is not polished well and will break with inexperienced users. Then they have to order new springs etc. We are not gunsmiths but we wan't to sell guns that are reliable and somewhat user friendly. I have a gunsmith that is retired(knows these guns backwards and foward)and checks everything on all of our display. Many need work after they are bought by us!! But some don't. The guns in our display are good
Old October 30, 2009, 01:17 AM   #57
Smokin_Gun

Hardy I had a pair of the faux Ivory grip Piettas nickel&gold plated 1860 .44 Army Colts with an 1861 Navy grip. They are well balanced and feel great, I liked um. Although maybe not 100% authentic still a period revolver for the 19th Century.
I sold both a mine in 3 days at a Gunshop on the self...New with boxes $500 for the pair or $300 ea. was the price. I got $500...
The standard 1860 Army, 1861,or 1851 Navy Blued sell much better and are more sought.
Remingtons sell even better sold the one below for $450.

Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old November 1, 2009, 06:07 PM   #58
Hardy

Smoking!? how many guns do you have or ever had of c/b!!? You amaze me Not every young shooter including me knows enough bout um. We got every gun looking good, inspected---but that 1860 Army Colt w/gold and nichol got a big thumbs up from our gunsmith Shoot it and let the gold go!

Twin
Old November 2, 2009, 01:58 AM   #59
Smokin_Gun

Alot ... got about 15 P Revs 4 rifles and a SxS now in C&B and Cart BP. Had 34 BP Revs at one time. Jus' sold twelve last month neeed cash... thought you'd a seen the ads :O)
Get one a them Brass Rem Pietta Rems off a GunBroker get it on a Bid. Bet they'd sell ... get a Steel one and a Brass Rem used even in good cond.
I sold 12 online and local about 3 weeks.
Old November 2, 2009, 09:15 AM   #60
madcratebuilder

When SG has a garage sale you don't want to miss it
Old November 2, 2009, 04:17 PM   #61
Smokin_Gun

I'm havin' a Pre Winter Fall Fest Garage Cleanin' Party ifin ya wanna stop by... :O)
Manditory Range time in the Angeles National Forest for at least 4 hours a day ...
Old November 2, 2009, 06:58 PM   #62
Hardy

No Smoking, I didn't see them all. I remember the colt dragoon and Police in box. Do yu still have them. Why don't you pm me w/ yu inventory and prices and let's see what the "Smokin' Gun store" can do.
twin
Old November 2, 2009, 10:31 PM   #63
Smokin_Gun

Like I said I sold all 12 of them includin' the two Pocket Police this past month...kept the Colt Dragoon. I asked on all my regular waterin' holes and posted on my Forum.
I din't wanna sell them Hardy but now Government is sendin' me a check to stay home and go retire... :O)
Listed below in my Signture, I think.
Some a what I was sellin' from my keepers collection
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...0300300150.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...0300175250.jpg
Old November 3, 2009, 09:48 PM   #64
Hardy

Smoking--can you hear me?! I wish I had bought them at the time I was opening my store but didn't know. I bought some and somehow lucked out on some gooduns

Let me tell you a stupid thing I did today: I bought a Davide Petersoli deringer that uses only a 209 and BB (no powder) Why did I do that? Maybe christmas--what do you know about them

I bought an 1858 new army brass w/ 8' barrel. Do you like them?

Guns w/ brass catch more eyes in the sto better than the steelers. I wish you'd come down here and sell em fo me. But I have sold more than I thought. The Robert E Lee commerative is for sale(Overpriced) cause I guess I want it. Do you see many of them on sites? Let me know--Sold a 3rd generation colt 51 navy signiture series w/ accessories box for 799. I can't find too many of them 3rd gens listed. But I've been in this hobby-biz goin on 8 mo's now and seem to know less than what i did when I started
Shoot my twin again--he deserves it

The other twin--WBHARDY
Old November 4, 2009, 02:53 AM   #65
Smokin_Gun

Well hells bells Hardy you are doin' good and standin' in high cotton then. I got the feelin' you were sellin' none?
Good on ya mate ... The Smokin' Gun Store is alive and well in the South.
I like that Brass Rem alright nothin' wrong with one ... great sale on the 1851 Navy Colt Sig... you don't need me but I'll be around. Ifin I ever get that way I will stop in ... :O)
Old November 7, 2009, 09:41 PM   #66
Trajan

I haven't handled Piettas & Ubertis in a store in a while, been a year or two, but one thing I remembered liking better on the Ubertis was that they put the "black powder only" in small size under the barrel.
The Piettas I looked at had it in blaring big letters right on the side: BLACK POWDER ONLY

no biggie, I know, but it bothered me. I chose an Uberti back at that time (No. 3 Dragoon).
Old November 20, 2009, 03:54 PM   #67
Sulaco2

I picked up a .36 Navy Piettas at the last WAC gun show for $180, it was used but gently and it is IMHO a work of art. The grips, fit - finish, bluing and "case hardening", barrel alignment and lock up would be hard to beat on a modern CNC gun. Now if I can just find some powder around Seattle I can see if pretty = shooter. Only thing I see that gave me pause was the barrel, no crown and basically sawed off with a hack saw look to it. Must be because it was a "short barrel" model 4" not the more common 6-7", ya think?
Old November 20, 2009, 04:31 PM   #68
Doc Hoy

As Ronald Reagan always said, "Well...."

Most civil war era replicas have a straight crown or have no crown, whichever way you like to put it. Others in the group with more experience may know better. But I do think that four inches is a little odd for a barrel length. Am I right, experts?
Old November 20, 2009, 06:10 PM   #69
Indian Outlaw

According to Peter at Turnbull Restoration, both Uberti's and Pietta's case coloring is fake. It's not hardening at all, so I don't call it that. Pietta's process is pretty much identical to what Ruger used to do on their Vaqueros.

Uberti seems to use a slightly harder steel than Pietta, but Uberti's quality control has dropped a bit. I just ordered a Euroarms Remington and am eager to compare it to the others.

As for stripping the orange-red paint off Uberti's grips, the best process that I've found is to use a couple of applications of Citristrip gel. It won't harm the wood, and it takes the orange off nicely. After that, I add a few coats of Watco Danish Oil - Medium Walnut, and the grips are totally transformed.
Old November 21, 2009, 04:51 PM   #70
OLDPUPPYMAX

Uberti makes a nice weapon

I purchased a Uberti 1858 New Army conversion in .45 long colt and have enjoyed every round. Fine accuracy and feel, great weight creating minimal recoil, good fit and appointments. About $345. I'll be going back for a few more including a cap and ball.
Old November 24, 2009, 01:20 PM   #71
Sulaco2

OK, so the next great question is how do you clean yours to keep old Mr rust at bay? Soap and HOT water still seems to work best for me, with some patch and sprays of Windex at the range to hold them till I get home.