The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 15, 2008, 06:57 PM   #1
Therapydude2

Registering an AR lower for SBR; deadline on when to buy upper?

I am in the process of registering an AR lower for SBR status. Legally, of course, I know I cannot purchase my 10.5" upper until receiving my cancelled tax stamp. However, what if, after receiving my stamp, I kept the lower in my safe and never purchased an upper? Would I be in violation of any federal laws since I didn't actually build a SBR like I said I was going to? Any time limit on when (if ever) the build is complete? Thanks for any help you all can provide.
Old September 15, 2008, 06:58 PM   #2
VUPDblue

Nope. I've got 2 SBR lowers in the safe that have been sitting idle for several years.
Old September 16, 2008, 10:52 AM   #3
aroundlsu

I just registered my first lower this year. It was so easy and inexpensive ($150 lower, $200 stamp) I plan to register at least one every year and stick it in the safe. Seems to be a pretty good insurance policy against future assault weapon bans.
Old September 16, 2008, 02:23 PM   #4
VUPDblue

IIRC during the last AWB even SBR's that were registered during that time had to abide by the AWB guidelines, save for barrel length.
Old September 16, 2008, 04:07 PM   #5
Hkmp5sd

Yup, the last AWB included the prohibition on new NFA items which also violated the ban. They also ruled that unless your firearm was assembled as a complete "semi-automatic assault weapon" with all applicable evil features at the beginning of the ban, you could not take your pre-ban lower and assemble a banned rifle. So having registered lowers pre-dating the ban would not help if it follows the old rules.

On the flip side, they did rule that NFA items were exempt from 922(r) [the assembly from parts of a firearm not legal for imporation...blah, blah, blah].