The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 8, 2007, 01:38 AM   #1
FLA2760

Guy Gets Robbed With A Gun In His Pocket

This is from the 1911 board.

This guy got the drop on him. My take is situational awareness was lacking.

I can't believe it! I got robbed today!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With all my training, practice, vigilance and making a point of ALWAYS being armed... some 20something gangbanger punk in baggy clothes got me!

I write my experience so that I may learn how to protect myself in the future and also to let others know never to let your guard down!

I was robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight today at my storage facility in my neighborhood.

I was working on a deck I am building in my backyard. I am almost finished and I loaded up my truck with the tools and stuff I don't need anymore (shovels, sledge hammer, chopsaw, fold up saw horses etc.) and I head over to my neighborhood staorage facility where I have had a storage bin for a few years because I don't like the clutter at my house. Mostly tools, camping stuff, bikes stuff like that.

It is a big warehouse building witha bunch of roll up doors all around it. Inside it is filled with individual storage lockers. Mine is right by a door so I back in and I unlock my storage door and I am taking stuff out of my truck and carrying it in my locker. It is about 3:30pm and no one around.

I carry in a load and when I come out a young punk is standing there with a ski mask on, black baggy panys, black baggy coat and it actually takes me a few seconds to realize he has a 9mm black Glock pointed right at my chest.

I put my hands up and say "be cool bro" and at that he says "give it up" and I say "be cool" again at this point he starts getting all excited and cursing and say stuff like "you think I'm playing %$#@&"

I pull out my wallet and say this is all I have. He snatches it with the gun pointing at my face now.

Now I would like to point out that I am never unarmed and because I was working in my backyard I had sweat pants on and sweatshirt and hooded zip up jacket and I had my Kel-Tec .380 in a pocket holster in my right front pocket.

He is about about 3 feet from me with the gun now pointed at my chest. For one second I contemplated knocking his arm away and rushing him but you know what... when the gun is aimed at you it's a whole different story.

I decided not to chance it and I was studying what he was wearing and I thought that if he missed my .380 maybe I could pull it when he turned to run or so I thought. All this was going through my mind in one second.

The punk them says turn around and then thats when I started to get nervous. He said what else do you got and I said thats it and I felt the gun poked in my right back just over my kidney. I was thinking that would be a real bad place to be shot. He reached in my pocket and pulled out my .380 and my freakin keys and he started to get real excited again and said "oh so you gonna smoke me?"

He started cursing something and then he pushed me and told me to start walking towards the back of the warehouse and I thought oh %$% the punk is going to shot me in the back of the building.

I said "come on man be cool don't do something we're gonna regret"

He said start walking and pushe me down to long walkway with the closest corner to turn about 15 feet down the hall. He said to me to keep walking and count to 30 and if I turned around he would shoot me.

Well I took off and turned the first corner I got to. I stopped and hugged the wall and listened I didn't hear anything. I peeped around the corner and half expected the punk to be still standing there aiming at me. I nervously walk up the hall and peered out into the main area where the door was and my truck is parked. He was not there. I ran to the door and looked out and I could not see anyone up or down the street.

Thats was it! It was over with in 5 minutes. I was filled with so much rage. I would have emptied a full magazine into that punk if I could had caught him which was a futile because this kid was gone.

I didn't know which direction he went in, I didn't even know if he had a buddy sitting outside in a car.

I called 911 and they said they would send a car over and they did... 20 minutes later a squad car shows up.

I called my sister who had an extra truck key of mine. I called the bank and put a stop on my credit cards.

I am still mad about it but the storage manager and the LEO said that the important think is the punk didn't shoot me in the back.

I keep thinking back today. There was nothing I could do at the time. I really wasn't frozen with fear or anything but I did shake a little a few hours later.

I wish somehow I could have done something. He got keys to everything I own including two vehicles and my wallet with every scrap of ID I have.

The LEO's said that 99% of the time the robbers get around the corner and grab the cash (I had $400.00 in my wallet just cashed a check!) and they toss the wallet or purse down the sewer or up on a building. If you are lucky it might get tossed on a street and some good samaritan will return it but not usually. The LEO said he took my keys so I couldn't follow him.

But they said I could change my house locks and buy a couple of steering wheel locks to give ME some comfort.

I've got a lot of thinking to do. One thing I learned is I need am extra key stashed somewhere in my truck and car that I could use in an emergency. I did have am emergency key... it was in my wallet.

I am wondering if I had another gun in my truck too would that have helped. If I had a key I could have circled the block right after the robbery and maybe caught sight of the punk!

I don't think I will ever carry another pocket pistol. If I had a shoulder or ankle holster this guy would have missed it, then at least I would have had some sort of weapon.... but again it would have been AFTER the crime.

I could keep a better eye out but this guy snuck up on my. I literally did not see him until he was standing in front of me and even then it took a good 4 seconds before I even noticed he had a gun which is really weird because I would have thought I would notice that quick.

My family keeps telling me that they don't care about the money and wallet and there just glad I wasn't shot.

The LEO and storage manager said they have never heard of a robbery where I was robbed at and that it is generally considered a pretty safe part of town. The LEO thinks it was just a crime of opportunity.

Anybody got any ideas on this scenario? I swear I am going to do some heavy thinking and planning so that this never happens to me again.

I am 48 and I have never in my life been robbed at gunpoint like that. And it's funny because I read about this all the time and I have the same feeling that a lot of victims have... I just can't believe it happened to me.

One thing is for sure.. if I have to lose a gun I'd rather lose my Kel-tec .380 than my Springfield Mil_Spec which is what I usually carry.

I guess tomorrow I get to start getting all my ID's agiain. I don't even have a drivers license and I have to reapply for the CCW again!
Old February 8, 2007, 07:16 AM   #2
685cmj

Hopefully it is utterly clear to everyone that carrying a gun and knowing how to use it is no magic cure for everything. The time may well come for any of us when prudent thinking keeps us from drawing and starting some kind of firefight, either for the sake of our own lives or of bystanders or.... I always worry about the Rambos who watch too much TV and think a gun is the answer to every question.
Old February 8, 2007, 08:11 AM   #3
Anon

I hate to break it to folks here, but having a concealed handgun prepares you for such a tiny number of possible situations, that it is almost worthless to do so.

There are SO many other things you can do to extend your life and the safety of yourself and family.

That said, if you need the pistol (and can actually employ it), you'll be glad you had one....
Old February 8, 2007, 09:57 AM   #4
Smokin Joe

Having a gun dont mean you win. it just means you can play.

He had the drop on the guy, thats a great advantage where if the guy chose to shoot back, he could, but they both will be hurt bad or dead.

that being said, I would have just gave him everything I had INCLUDING the kel tec.
Old February 8, 2007, 10:02 AM   #5
Fxtrt5

Robbery

Methinks you aren't giving yourself enough credit. From what I read there, you were thinking all the way through; and that is admirable. You noted details, attire, considered escape options, evaluated changing circumstance....doesn't get any better than that.
The law-abiding citizen in this country is at a distinct disadvantage from the social parasites. You can't go through life jumping at shadows, and as we get older, we gradually lose the "Big Quick"...The criminal has the luxury of picking time, place, intent, numbers, and weapon. You have only reaction, and in my opinion, you did just fine. The punk ain't going to make it in life...period....$400 is only a couple days of crack or meth....but you, my friend, are going to stand tall......The memory will never go away, it will always be a sore point, but, you carried yourself well.

"Gentlemen; may I remind you that if you allow yourself to be killed, you will be subsequently court-martialed for the destruction of Government Property"
Old February 8, 2007, 10:15 AM   #6
Syntax360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon
I hate to break it to folks here, but having a concealed handgun prepares you for such a tiny number of possible situations, that it is almost worthless to do so.
Yep - sometimes you are screwed no matter what. Still, I'd rather have the option to defend myself if the opportunity presented itself. I'm glad everything worked out for the guy and he didn't get hurt. Can't win them all... sounds like he did a good job with the situation, all things considered.
Old February 8, 2007, 10:26 AM   #7
pax

Depending on the mercy of the merciless is a bad plan, even if it worked out okay this time.

At the moment the criminal told him to turn around, it was all over. I think he should have fought at that point.

My lines in the sand: http://www.corneredcat.com/Mindset/Boundaries.htm

What are yours?

pax
Old February 8, 2007, 10:29 AM   #8
markj

Quote:
when the gun is aimed at you it's a whole different story.
Now aint that the truth? I got shot in the left shoulder blade, it hurts.
Glad you got out of that alive, only way to prevent this is go to the locker with a friend to keep an eye out.

I had my storage locker broke into and my stuff removed, it was supposed to be a "secure facility" with a key pad etc. I no longer use one but put a shed on my place and keep my stuff there now.
Old February 8, 2007, 10:41 AM   #9
westphoenix

Pax I know its easy to play Monday morning quarterback, but I agree with you.
Once he told me to turn around and knowing I still had a firearm on me, I would like to think I would have taken action. One thing I have told my girlfriend and my sister is go for the eyes!
Old February 8, 2007, 12:14 PM   #10
MikeGoob

my CCW instructor said to throw your wallet behind the mugger. Its hard to tell how that would work in this situation.
Old February 8, 2007, 12:37 PM   #11
Fxtrt5

Response:

At the moment the criminal told him to turn around, it was all over. I think he should have fought at that point.

My lines in the sand....(Pax)

......(sigh)....big, big difference from "thinking" and "being there"...."Fought" is vague...you mean break out the Ubiwaza Touch of Doom? Whip around and apply the Vulcan Death Grip? Steven Segal does it all the time.....so why can't some guy with a real gun in his kidney? Over $400 and some plastic?
As a one-time professional, I don't think much of the line-in-the-sand provocation....as without foundation as the sand itself. Ill-advised action is worse than no action. Be patient, nothing's guaranteed....wait 'till it's your turn to move.....like the victim here....when he got his chance, he escaped and took up a defensive position with good field-of-view. What more do you want?

Apropos of Nothing: A chip on the shoulder makes a great target, eh?
Old February 8, 2007, 12:43 PM   #12
westphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fxtrt5
......(sigh)....big, big difference from "thinking" and "being there"...."Fought" is vague...you mean break out the Ubiwaza Touch of Doom? Whip around and apply the Vulcan Death Grip? Steven Segal does it all the time.....so why can't some guy with a real gun in his kidney? Over $400 and some plastic?
As a one-time professional, I don't think much of the line-in-the-sand provocation....as without foundation as the sand itself.
I think its clear he would be fighting for his life at that point and not the $400 and pistol. Theres a point at which the demands of the assailant become more likely to result in the victims death.

If the assailant said "ok now I'm going to kill you", would you fight then?
Because some of us think that "turn around", is like saying: "ok now I'm going to execute you".

Last edited by westphoenix; February 8, 2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old February 8, 2007, 12:44 PM   #13
MikeGoob

my friend was in a restaurant when the whole place was mugged. The gunmen put everyone in the kitchen (after emptying their pockets) and emptied the cash register then left. Everyone was fine. Its hard to KNOW what to do
Old February 8, 2007, 01:00 PM   #14
markj

Vince said:

Quote:
What's the point of carrying a gun if you're too scared and too undertrained to use it?
Come on over and show me how to disarm a guy with a loaded gun pointed at you.

You will of course need to sign a waiver in case the weapon goes off and disables you.

There are places you can pay to learn how this is done, but how many civies get to go to this type of class?

G. Gordon Liddy once had a school for this type of training.

My bro in law, ret. A/F ex Secret Service guy for the first bush admin says your chances of removing a weapon in this fashion that is just out of reach is slim to none, specially if you are facing away and it is in the back. If he is facing you and is within reach you have a slim chance but it is better than the other scenario.

When I was shot, he was behind me about 5 ft away. Now tell me how I could have avoided this.

W.C. Fields sure said a mouthful.....
Old February 8, 2007, 01:08 PM   #15
mikejonestkd

Disabling an assailant when he is some distance from you AND already has the drop on you is certain to end poorly for you.

I am glad that the OP got out alive.

And there is no fault with a victim's training, I have a good friend that practiced the martial arts for 20+ years. The one time he was attacked they came up from behind and dropped him with a blow to the head from a pipe. Even the best training can fail on a regular basis.
Old February 8, 2007, 01:37 PM   #16
tydephan

Quote:
The LEO's said that 99% of the time the robbers get around the corner and grab the cash (I had $400.00 in my wallet just cashed a check!)
It is worth noting...I think...that perhaps this guy was followed from the bank (or wherever he cashed his check) and pegged as a low-risk high-reward victim.

This just reminds us that we always need to be aware of our surroundings, no matter if we are armed or not.

In a situation like this, a concealed handgun actually becomes a big liability if the bad guy has the drop on you and you are not going to "resist." I can't think of much worse than being killed with a weapon that I brought to the fight.

I'm not saying the guy was clueless or anything like that, but he did place himself in a vulnerable position. I'm glad he was not injured or executed.
Old February 8, 2007, 01:39 PM   #17
pax

Fxtrt5 ~

westphoenix's post explains the why. Turning your back when the guy with the gun tells you to turn around is, very often, the prelude to getting shot in the back of the skull. Dave Grossman's book On Killing explains the psychology which often drives the killer to demand that the victim's back is turned before pulling the trigger; worth a read if you can stomach it.

As for the how, I admit that I am an out of shape, middle aged housewife. But barring the most disastrous kind of bad luck, if you are within arm's reach and pointing a gun at me, I can take it away from you before you can shoot me. I know in my guts I can do this because I have had the training to do it, against guys bigger and stronger and younger and more macho than I could ever hope to be. The tecnhiques are not based on strength, but on leverage (and a few other things). I regularly practice with dummy guns, and have done it several times with Code Eagle (Simunitions-type) guns so that I know I can do it if I need to against guys who are fully resisting and intend to pull the trigger the second they believe I am fighting back.

Since I know that I can if I need to, the question becomes, "Do I need to, in this instance?" My answer, for myself and not for the less-trained, is that I won't turn my back if a man with a gun demands I do so. I will fight, right then and there, even if I don't like the odds of fighting. And I say that because I think the odds of getting shot in the back are considerably higher than the odds of the disastrous bad luck I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

If this means I have a chip on my shoulder, so be it. The training is available to anyone who is willing to work for it, not just to super-secret squirrel ninjas. If this middle-aged housewife can do it, so can you.

markj, mikejonestkd ~

The victim reported that the BG was close enough to snatch the wallet, and that he (later) felt the gun poking into his back. This type of training would have helped in the situation we're discussing, which is a gun that is unquestionably within arm's reach.

pax
Old February 8, 2007, 01:48 PM   #18
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

While every situation is unique and needs to be evaluated as such, I have to agree with fighting at the point I'm told to "turn around".

Criminals have changed. It used to be they were only interested in your money and getting away. Today's breed seem to have more sadistic tendencies, and enjoy hurting people. You're much more likely to get shot or cut today, whether or not you cooperate.

"Turn around" sends me the same message as "get on your knees". As Pax said, it's a prelude to a bullet in the head. At that point, it's either fight or die.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old February 8, 2007, 03:00 PM   #19
Samurai

Having never been in any type of combat situation whatsoever, I don't really have a lot of intelligent thought to add here.

All I will say is, as a general observation, if the mugger is going to shoot you, then there's no amount of "compliance" with his demands that will change his mind. Likewise, if the mugger is out for cash only, it seems to me like they aren't going to have the "stones" to shoot anyway, and will run away at the first sign of aggression or resistance.

The problem is, deciding which one you've got... But, either way, I say fight. Either you'll win, or you'll simply realize that you were already dead all along. And, NEVER, no NEVER turn your back or allow yourself to be relocated. Ever. Statistics do indicate that doing either of these things dramatically increases your chances of being killed.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old February 8, 2007, 03:15 PM   #20
Fxtrt5

Theater

Despite the theater, the facts as I understood them are: Assailant already knew victim had gun. Victim's gun is not accessible, and even if it were, it would require some preparation; assuming safety is on, weapon in clothing, and basically not ready. To claim to be capable of overpowering means nothing....At point blank range, with an assailant already over-amping on adrenaline, and knowing the victim is armed....the slightest misunderstanding results in tragedy. Look at the facts......victim survived, losing only material objects. No need for "squirrel ninja".....Your way, someone guaranteed to get hurt.....(Shrugs dismissively) Better think about the future....these punks aren't that smart, and might behoove you to watch carefully next time you're in that area.

Thanks, but I think I'll decline your kind offer of taking a course in accosting middle-age housewives......not my style
Old February 8, 2007, 03:21 PM   #21
markj

Quote:
This type of training would have helped in the situation we're discussing
Not everyone has this level of training, where did you get this? I stated my bro in law is former SS, now he does have this training and I for one would not attempt it with him.

If it was me? as I posted before when I did turn my back on a guy I escourted out of the bar he shot me. I do not turn my back on anyone anymore and would fight back if I thought I was going to be shot.

I was not there, it wasnt me so all I can say is I am glad he didnt get shot.

Now if I had a gun on anyone I for sure would remain just out of reach
I did have some of those G Gordon Liddy training tapes at one time, they focused on unarming a person and taking them down in one move. Never had to try it tho. Now I am getting old and really need to practise more, just waiting for my son to get big enough so we can play My daughter is in collage now so I have no play partner as my wife cares not for the rough and tumble.

I sure wont tell this guy he acted poorly etc as some have done.
This is just bad taste and rude.
Old February 8, 2007, 03:24 PM   #22
tydephan

Quote:
these punks aren't that smart, and might behoove you to watch carefully next time you're in that area.
Nor are they full of mercy...
Old February 8, 2007, 05:05 PM   #23
marlboroman84

Don't carry a gun if you're not prepared to use it and don't think it's a cure all. Train not only with your gun, but train in a martial art as well. I agree with Pax wholeheartedly. You touch me with your gun, guess what? It's my gun now. I don't play nice and I am a dirty fighter. You should be as well.

I'm also surprised that no one has commented on the fact the guy in the OP said he was gonna follow the BG if he had an extra key and more or less said if he found him he'd shoot him. Not good things to be saying.

While it is easy for people to Monday morning quaterback, I'm telling you this. The only reason I've never had to shoot anyone is because I stopped the confrontation by other means. Training is the key. Without training you're just another guy with a gun.
Old February 8, 2007, 05:39 PM   #24
westphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fxtrt5
the facts as I understood them are: Assailant already knew victim had gun.
Maybe I read it wrong, but I didn't think the assailant knew about the gun until he pulled it out of the victims pocket.
Old February 8, 2007, 07:25 PM   #25
azredhawk44

Quote:
It is a big warehouse building witha bunch of roll up doors all around it. Inside it is filled with individual storage lockers. Mine is right by a door so I back in and I unlock my storage door and I am taking stuff out of my truck and carrying it in my locker. It is about 3:30pm and no one around.

I carry in a load and when I come out a young punk is standing there with a ski mask on, black baggy panys, black baggy coat and it actually takes me a few seconds to realize he has a 9mm black Glock pointed right at my chest.
OP states that the gun was a "9mm black Glock".

Duh, all glocks are black except for very limited runs of camo-framed ones, and one of these dark green frames with a black slide will just look black to someone who's eyes are still adjusting from coming out of a warehouse into sunlight.

And knowing it was 9mm? Can you tell the difference between a 9mm, a .40, a 10mm or a .45acp under duress, when the barrel is black and the slide is black and the hole in the barrel is black and you just came out into the sunlight from a dark warehouse, and some guy with a SKIMASK is demanding your money?

I call troll-post. Maybe not necessarily FLA2760, but by the guy who posted it on the original 1911 forum he got it from.

The supposed victim here was standing next to a vehicle that would make a great bullet shield, giving him time to draw his own weapon and fire shots causing the perp to surrender or flee since shooting someone in the back is most often illegal.