The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 1, 2005, 05:50 AM   #1
Low Key

Blackpowder is more addictive than tobacco...

I'm hooked....can't help it.
About four years ago I bought an 1858 Remington replica from Cabela's, got all the stuff I needed to shoot it and started learning how to actually shoot a cap n ball revolver. I loaded up and spent a couple of weekends firing off a few, disassembling and cleaning, etc. I got tired of the cleaning process and put the pistol in the safe where it stayed for over three years.
Every once in awhile I would take it out and inspect it for rust and make sure everything was still good to go if I ever wanted to load it up and shoot it again.
A couple of months ago I took out the pistol and looked it over, I still had some pyrodex pellets left over from my original purchase so I thought "I'll just shoot up the rest of these pellets to get rid of them." So out I go into the back yard shoot up the rest of my pyrodex and clean up the pistol and right back in the safe it went. The next day I find myself thinking "dang, that was fun shootin yesterday-maybe I'll just buy some more powder and balls and shoot a few more."
Well I bought some powder and balls and had a great time shooting the next weekend and I find myself looking forward to the next time I can shoot my 1858! HOOKED!
Now I'm looking forward to every weekend so that I can get out and shoot a few with the ol 1858. It's been the same every weekend since and I love it!

Are you hooked too? Whats your story?
Old October 1, 2005, 06:57 AM   #2
skeetabop

I agree. My dad gave me a CVA 1860 Colt Army kit 20+ years ago and i used it quite a bit for the first couple of years. I pulled it back out last summer and had a hoot shooting it. Been shooting it ever since and can't wait for the next time. Everyone seems to enjoy watching the fire and smoke she produces!
Old October 1, 2005, 08:23 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I bought my Ruger before I was 21. In CA, you had to buy it through a dealer and wait the 21 days. So, I mail ordered it instead from Gil Hebard and had a lot of fun with it. However, I wasn't hooked on longrifles until I saw one at the Remington factory store in Illion. I had to have one. Darn if they're not the most fun guns to shoot and very difficult to master (try hitting an orange or grapefruit at 100 yards - I can't yet the riflemen of the Revolution could).
Old October 1, 2005, 05:01 PM   #4
Toney

My 1858 brass frame shoot as good as any pistol i own
i like cleaning guns almost as well as shooting them
Old October 1, 2005, 05:50 PM   #5
armedandsafe

The only complaint I have with the cleaning ritual is the time it takes away from SHOOTING!

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old October 2, 2005, 05:16 AM   #6
Low Key

I actually don't mind the cleaning anymore. I enjoy that too...maybe I've developed some patience over the years. Sometime next year I'm going to get another 58...stainless.