The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 21, 2013, 10:56 PM   #26
geosully

A quality revolver is a pretty safe bet for a citizen who just figured out they might want to buy a gun while they still have that option. It isn't a "high capacity semi-automatic weapon of war," and the gun grabbers haven't been able to identify it's inherently evil quality just yet. If they try to outlaw guns, then they might, but one can reasonably expect revolvers to be legal as long as guns are. I am an instructor, and I am getting a lot of new shooters. They almost all seem to be picking revolvers for their one and only handgun. If that is going on all over, that has to be driving prices up.
Old February 22, 2013, 12:37 AM   #27
Bill56

LGS had a 6" SS GP 100 for $599 last I checked, about 1 week ago.
Old February 22, 2013, 07:09 AM   #28
td9323

My LGS had seven of them last thursday. 6" SS was $659. Went down from there.
Old February 22, 2013, 07:27 AM   #29
Shadi Khalil

Over $900 for a GP100NIB???????

My last purchase was a 22/45 for pretty much what you'd expect to pay before all the nonsense. I would have never paid the prices I've seen recently, no matter how bad I wanted it.
Old March 16, 2013, 04:45 PM   #30
Fender57

The best way to proceed, in my opinion, is not to make any hasty buying decisions.

I realize that supplies are tight all over the place at this time, with some people fooled into believing that if they don't "jump on it", they may never get another chance, or have to wait for months for store shelves to be restocked.

I am also interested in getting a GP100, 6" SS model, but refuse to play the game as far as the current prices being demanded for them is concerned.

Once the dust settles from the proposed AWB bill, which will likely not get past the full senate, this madness will stop.
Old March 16, 2013, 05:33 PM   #31
bbqbob51

I feel everyone's pain

I have been in the market for a 6" Smith and Wesson 617 and there are none to be had within 80 miles of me so I have been looking online. I figured I would luck out and get one at or a little below MSRP of $829 after shipping and transfer fees but with everyone going brain dead and totally bat**** crazy like this I guess I will just have to cool it for a bit:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=332140869
I realize I should not expect a great deal with the current conditions but this is ridiculous! the 617 has been on my list to buy for a long time and I have saved a bit and got my income tax refund burning a hole in my pocket. I refuse to pay these prices as I have NEVER paid full MSRP for any firearm, including the other 3 Smiths I own. It'll cool down eventually and I will just have to be content to shoot what I already own even though it still ticks me off.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:44 PM   #32
Rogervzv

Turners had a new GP100 SS 6" for (I think it was) $649. $50 more than I paid two years ago for the exact same gun, so not too bad.
Old March 16, 2013, 11:12 PM   #33
BIG P

All I say is I'm glad I already have mine,Noway I'll go for that fools game.
Thats just CRAZY!!!!
Old March 16, 2013, 11:54 PM   #34
Ferretboy

I payed $659 this past december for my 6in GP100.
Old March 17, 2013, 12:47 AM   #35
johnwilliamson062

I think the people complaining about high prices are mostly people who want to buy something cheap and flip it for a profit.

I sold all the guns I didn't want when I decided I didn't want them. Anything I am selling now I want and will replace down the road. If someone wants to pay 2-3 times what I bought it for they can have it. I'll calmly wait a year and buy one again. If they don't want to pay multiples of what I paid they can look elsewhere. Some people call this a "free market."

Why should a dealer sell something for $600 so the buyer can turn around and sell it on gunbroker?
Why should a manufacturer sell it for old price when the dealer is going to charge an extra $500?
Old March 17, 2013, 05:32 AM   #36
Kreyzhorse

That is a simply amazing price. Fear will make people do greedy, and stupid things. Those prices will eventually break and return to normal.
Old March 17, 2013, 06:04 PM   #37
Gaucho Gringo

I hope so. In the meantime I have bought 2 Nagant revolvers for less than $250.00 total in the last 2 months. It's not a Ruger but I have owned 3 of them and I find them nothing special. I sold all of them because of that. I think they are over hyped. Been there, done that, yawn.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old March 17, 2013, 06:30 PM   #38
Jeff #111

And that is one of the reasons why I don't buy my guns on-line. Two weeks ago I picked up a very nice pre -war Colt Official Police for $400.00. The dealer did have $450.00, but he dropped down to $400.00. Now I know that much of what is going on is regional, but the Internet doesn't seem like a good place to buy guns right now.
Old March 17, 2013, 06:46 PM   #39
horselips

In a country that votes for Democrats, makes the Kardashians and Honey Boo Boo famous, is it any wonder that gun sellers see "low-hanging fruit" to sell to? Is it any wonder that these clueless buyers will bid far more for a firearm than it's worth? I wonder what the next insult to common sense will look like?
Old March 18, 2013, 12:07 AM   #40
wvshooter

The chance for new gun legislation on the national level is zero.

Unfortunately, at least for anyone wanting to buy a gun at the present time, some of the public thinks new draconian legislation is imminent. As long as the media talks about it crazy prices will prevail. This is all going to go away in a year or two, maybe sooner.
Old March 18, 2013, 12:27 AM   #41
TennJed

Over $900 for a GP100NIB???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff #111 View Post
And that is one of the reasons why I don't buy my guns on-line. Two weeks ago I picked up a very nice pre -war Colt Official Police for $400.00. The dealer did have $450.00, but he dropped down to $400.00. Now I know that much of what is going on is regional, but the Internet doesn't seem like a good place to buy guns right now.
By going that route, if you saw one gun overpriced at your local shop you would have to quit buying there. Just because there are some bad deals doesn't mean you should avoid the good ones.
Old March 18, 2013, 02:45 PM   #42
Jeff #111

TennJed Quote:

Quote:
By going that route, if you saw one gun overpriced at your local shop you would have to quit buying there. Just because there are some bad deals doesn't mean you should avoid the good ones.
Sure, but it seems to me the Internet is a breeding ground for much of the hysteria and retail is effected by it - all out of proportion to what is really going on. Also since people literally all over the country can purchase you're going to have buyers from wealthier areas skewing the prices.Even at the more expensive LGS in my area I have yet to see a $900.00 Ruger GP 100. Also here in my area there might only be a small percentage of gun buyers who are interested in older .38 Special revolvers (my favorites) so the prices reflect the local market. On the Internet suddenly I'm competing with thousands of other gun buyers who are interested in the same thing. Hard to compete.

Also I still like to be able to hold the gun in question and check it out before buying it. I know that many of the sellers will have arrangements so that you can ship the gun back within a certain time period if you're not satisfied and so on, but I would rather just be able to say nope and put it down instead of having to go through all the hassle.

Do I buy off the Internet? Sure, but a gun is very different from DVD's, downloads and books. I guess I'm just a dinosaur in that respect.
Old March 31, 2013, 11:36 AM   #43
Ryu825

Gp100 $900?!?!?

I just got the black Wiley for $680 at my lgs while regular ones are going for $250 more? I feel so blessed
Old March 31, 2013, 03:55 PM   #44
9mm

Someone drinking the Kool-aid
Old April 2, 2013, 10:05 PM   #45
kimbers rule

Post #30 said it all. If everybody would stop freekin out the prices and availability of stock would switch places. I think so anyways.
Old April 3, 2013, 07:59 AM   #46
FISHY-A-NADO

[I]IF[I] the bids are legitimate and not placed by shills as is one suggested possibility, this would not be the first time some lazy individual with more money than sense has done something stupid without any thought or research beforehand. Somebody wants a gun, somebody told them "buy a Ruger GP100" and that was the extent of their research. A quick search pointed them to this particular auction and they have tunnel vision. They found their GP100 and they aren't paying any attention to what it should cost. All they know is they want it and by George, they are gonna have it. It surprises me to no end the number and variety of items I have seen over the years on eBay, Gunbroker, Gunsamerica, etc. that have gone for WAY more than what a well-informed, fiscally responsible individual would ever pay.
Old April 3, 2013, 11:06 AM   #47
Sheriff Gotcha

I don't see why the panic buying is effecting revolvers though... with a capacity ban in place revolvers would be king again. But usually you try to panic buy what will be banned before it's banned not what will be available.

Strange times.
Old April 3, 2013, 11:21 AM   #48
mukwah

Re: Over $900 for a GP100NIB???????

I think the panic buying at this point is affecting anything and everything firearm related. That includes holsters, gun belts and everything up from there. I have a friend who us a custom holster maker who was doing just fine before the panic, getting holsters in 7-10 days. Now he is running a 8-12 week wait time!
Old April 6, 2013, 12:38 PM   #49
tex45acp

Unfortunately it's not just guns. Since the oil drilling craze has started again here in Texas, land prices have gone up 200-300% and that is without mineral rights. What's sad is that the insurance value of your guns have not kept up with the inflated values.
Old April 6, 2013, 03:26 PM   #50
richardcorey

Maybe I'm just old and grumpy, but I've lived through various "Shortages" of many things and ALWAYS seen the price go right through the roof, for a while until the frenzy wears itself out and then a slow return to sanity. When I see completely out-in-left-field prices I just say "Not Today" and walk away. If they can get someone else's money, OK, but they don't get mine. Just be cool and don't pay through the nose. Nuff Said.
LISTEN!!!
Closed Thread