The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 6, 2013, 12:08 AM   #26
moisanfan11

I decided to keep my 94. I looked at some more marlins and don't like them as much as my slim nice little lever gun
Old January 6, 2013, 05:31 AM   #27
giaquir

If you have "old eyes" get a Marlin
but if you have young eyes get or keep
the Winchester.
Nothing carries like a Winny 94
Old January 6, 2013, 10:13 PM   #28
bamaranger

not only

Not only can you clean the Marlin from the breech, you can access and repair/replace the ejector and extractor.....not a task to be taken lightly in a '94.

That said, I've had both and if limited to irons (which was my preference 'till my eyes went 50 something) I liked the Winchester.
Old January 10, 2013, 05:31 AM   #29
monoxide

i have a winchester ranger witch i have been told was just a sub version of the 94. after doing some research about the scope i found out after 85 they started making them a angle eject so you could mount a scope on top. the shell still comes out the top but instead of straight up it goes up less then a inch and then off to the side. it clears my scope fine when i eject.
Old January 10, 2013, 05:56 AM   #30
steveNChunter

I prefer the Marlin but I would say buy an older used gun in good shape as you will find the quality and finish of the older Marlins to be a little better. Look for one in .35rem. Best levergun caliber ever made IMO. I guess thats why they quit chambering them for it. The model 94 is not a bad rifle though and I would say if you can afford to keep them both just do that.
Old January 12, 2013, 03:24 AM   #31
Pathfinder45

My 2 cents......

For a 30-30 carbine I prefer a Winchester model 94 built between about 1937 to sometime in the late '40's, before they shortened the forearm and before they abandoned the checkered hammer in favor of the cheaper serrated one. For a rifle version I vote for the Winchester model 55, preferably in solid frame. For those not familiar with it, the model 55 is essentially a model 94 with a short magazine, rifle length barrel, and, "shot-gun", butt-plate. As far as the Marlin 336 goes, the only ones I am attracted to are the 336T and 336 Cowboy. In any of them, my first choice for caliber is 30-30. A strong second choice is 38-55. Not much interested in 35 Remington or 25-35 or 32 Winchester Special. For pistol-caliber leverguns I like the Marlin Model '94 Cowboy. These days, I generally prefer guns that are older than me.