The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: How many of you text while hunting in the stand?
Age group 18-25 19 19.39%
Age group 25-35 19 19.39%
Age group 35-45 23 23.47%
Age group 45-55 22 22.45%
Age group 55-75 15 15.31%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 31, 2012, 06:44 PM   #51
rickyrick

I think some people, as peetza mention, are missing out on the true power of today's cell phones. So much more than texting or making phone calls.

I rarely use a computer for entertainment any more.

There's a myriad of apps perfect for the outdoorsman, many are free and most are reasonably priced.

I don't think it's wise to trek into the wilderness, many times in the winter with possibly unpredictable conditions, in pursuit of dangerous animals, without having a phone or turning it off. (Yes a deer can be very dangerous).

The iPhone I have will last for a couple of days if I don't play on it too much.
Old October 31, 2012, 08:06 PM   #52
Comanche

Not sure how they could enforce this but I imagine the game cops could find a way to railroad you for it since they are notorious for taking their jobs very seriously.
I usually erase all my texts after a hunt........that's all I gotta say about thayat.....in my best Forrest Gump voice.
Old October 31, 2012, 08:09 PM   #53
Keg

Quote:
Would be a good means for hunting buddies to communicate if there is a big buck coming your way but unfortunately electronic communication devices of any kind cannot be used to communicate information to aid in the hunt....at least in Georgia it's illegal.
I call BS..........
Old October 31, 2012, 09:52 PM   #54
shortwave

Quote:
I call BS..........
You may call BS if you like but the same 'lame' law for deer hunting stands in Ohio as well.

"A deer hunter cannot use any device capable of transmitting or receiving a person's voice to aid in the hunting or taking of deer."
Old November 1, 2012, 02:58 AM   #55
Keg

Quote:
Are cell phones permitted in the deer woods? This is the question I posed - along with others on the topic - to OVO's Pro Staffers and writers/contributors of Ohio Valley Outdoor Times and Ohio Valley Outdoors magazine. The answers I received about the legality of using communication devices while hunting deer in Ohio were the same - "YES, I have my cell phone with me, but do not use it while pursuing deer."

That's the correct answer, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources' hunting regulations. They say: "A Deer Hunter Can Do the Following -- 6. Possess a communication device as long as you do not use the device to aid a person in pursuing or taking of deer."
It is the same lame law alright....I still call BS..not for the fact that it is a law(there seems to be plenty laws that don't make sense)..but that it is another ignorant law....
Old November 1, 2012, 05:40 AM   #56
Comanche

They think it is a violation of " fair chase" and gives hunters more of an advantage if you can communicate electronically to organize your hunting efforts.
It is considered and unfair advantage.

I consider it safe actually, for instance:

Say your buddy texts you that he is getting out of his stand and will be slowly walking in a certain direction towards you.
In this case you are alerted that the noises you hear and the movement you see in the thick brush may be human, not animal.

I am not one to even think about shooting unless I can identify and have have a clean shot of what I am shooting at......AND in this case I may even postpone a potential shot at an animal if I know my buddy may be walking in the general vicinity......especially during archery with no blaze orange on.

I think this type of communication is beneficial to the safety of hunters and they need to lay off the fairness crap a bit as there are plenty of yahoos that will shoot at any movement in the brush without identifying it so it may actually save a life if Billy Bob could warn Beauergard that's he's a comin' up the knob towards him.
Old November 1, 2012, 09:49 AM   #57
shortwave

You are correct Keg.

It is NOT against the law to have your cell phone, walkie talkie's etc. while deer hunting in Ohio. And NOT against the law to communicate on them while hunting.

It IS against the law to use them in PURSUIT of game.

I.E.:
This would be legal:

Quote:
that he is getting out of his stand and will be slowly walking in a certain direction towards you.
In this case you are alerted that the noises you hear and the movement you see in the thick brush may be human, not animal.

This would NOT be legal:
Quote:
my boy told of some deer heading to my area.

We regularly carry walkie talkie's and cell phone's especially during any gun season and have been approached by ODNR for random checks. The standard questions/inspections asked and done. Never an issue when it came to them. But I'm sure had our walkie's been monitored and there had been conversation of pursuing deer, the outcome may be different.
Old November 1, 2012, 02:58 PM   #58
ChasingWhitetail91

I have my volume off, but occasionaly text my dad to let him know where i'm sitting and if one's heading his way.
Old November 1, 2012, 07:53 PM   #59
Big Pard

Yeah I do. I text other hunters in the club to let them know when I start seeing deer or see something odd and to check if they are alright. It can be a life-saver if one gets injured....

Quote:
Quote:
Are cell phones permitted in the deer woods? This is the question I posed - along with others on the topic - to OVO's Pro Staffers and writers/contributors of Ohio Valley Outdoor Times and Ohio Valley Outdoors magazine. The answers I received about the legality of using communication devices while hunting deer in Ohio were the same - "YES, I have my cell phone with me, but do not use it while pursuing deer."

That's the correct answer, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources' hunting regulations. They say: "A Deer Hunter Can Do the Following -- 6. Possess a communication device as long as you do not use the device to aid a person in pursuing or taking of deer."
It is the same lame law alright....I still call BS..not for the fact that it is a law(there seems to be plenty laws that don't make sense)..but that it is another ignorant law....
I too don't understand this. Its not like you're altering deer movement or coercing them toward another hunter. When people do deer drives they communicate and tell one another where deer are heading. That is a silly law IMO.

Last edited by Big Pard; November 1, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old November 1, 2012, 10:09 PM   #60
shortwave

Quote:
That is a silly law IMO.
Yes it is.
Along with Ohio's law of not allowing the use of rifle's when deer hunting. But we can use an inline bp that's capable of a 200yd shot. And the ever so short black powder season when ODNR's goal is to drastically reduce the deer population throughout the state.
We've increased our shotgun season by a weekend but with much pleading and proving to ODNR the great increase in popularity of black powder hunting in Ohio, still can't get the 'powers to be' to extend the season.
Old November 1, 2012, 10:13 PM   #61
hoytinak

I see Maranda Lambert posting stuff on Facebook all the time while she's sitting in the stand with Blake Shelton....I think it's kinda funny.
Old November 2, 2012, 12:21 AM   #62
FrankenMauser

No stands, but I did find myself completely bored and playing some games on my phone this year. (Sitting in an alcove in a rock face, watching a valley.)

Most of the area I hunt doesn't have any cell reception at all.
But, there was a logging company doing some work in the area this year, so they had a temporary tower set up. Hiking about half way up the mountain got me a pretty respectable signal from the temporary tower. It allowed me to get directions out to some down-on-their-luck hunters, so they could come meet up with me; and I sent a few text message status updates to the wife, over the week.
Old November 3, 2012, 01:52 AM   #63
johnwilliamson062

I hunt from a chair blind and I either sleep or text. Sleeping is generally more successful.
Old November 3, 2012, 03:17 PM   #64
natman

I go hunting to get away from all that. I do carry my cell phone, completely turned off, just in case I need to call for help, but it stays in my pack otherwise.
Old November 3, 2012, 03:47 PM   #65
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I go hunting to get away from all that. I do carry my cell phone, completely turned off, just in case I need to call for help, but it stays in my pack otherwise.
To begin with, I don't let my cellphone intrude on my life. So, I never feel the need to "get away" from it.
Even if I did... In the mountains, I may not have the time to wait 2 to 4 minutes for a smart phone to start up, should I need to make an emergency call. So, I keep it in Airplane Mode. It only takes about 5 seconds to turn off Airplane Mode and start searching for a signal.

This year: With about 1 hour of transmitting/receiving (acquiring a signal, checking 3 voicemails, sending/receiving about 12 text messages, checking for a weather update, and sending 1 photo), and 30-45 minutes playing some games on that rock face.... The battery charge lasted more than 5 days, and the phone was only turned off completely at night (1-2 am to 7-8 am), to prevent the cold temperature from affecting the battery's discharge rate.
Old November 3, 2012, 07:04 PM   #66
rickyrick

I only turn off my phone if my entire family is sitting with me.

It's hunting, not church.

If real world is so bothersome, a hunting trip may not help you.
Old November 3, 2012, 09:58 PM   #67
shortwave

Quote:
Oooohhh....but it does help.
Old November 4, 2012, 08:31 AM   #68
rickyrick

Ok, shortwave, you're are right,lol
Old November 4, 2012, 08:53 AM   #69
mayosligo

If I can get a signal yes. Helpful after the shot to help the others in my group know it was me. It is silent unlike the radio.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:27 AM   #70
shortwave

Quote:
Quote:
Oooohhh....but it does help.
Quote:
Ok, shortwave, you're are right,lol
My 'shrink' requires of me a once a month hunting trip of some kind and weekly time spent killing targets here at the range.
Old November 4, 2012, 03:11 PM   #71
BUFF

I do, and sometimes wish that I didn't. I let a nice 10 walk right under my stand, litterally, while bow hunting. I was sending my wife a text telling her that I wasn't seeing anything and I was on my way home.
Old November 4, 2012, 08:11 PM   #72
Johnny Falcon

Nope. I'm 21 and text all the time--but when I'm out hunting, I really don't see the point in doing it.
Old November 4, 2012, 11:12 PM   #73
johnwilliamson062

Even where reception is bad your phone can sometimes be "pinged" to locate you. As long as it is left on. Turn off the ringer but not the phone.
Old November 5, 2012, 12:27 AM   #74
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Even where reception is bad your phone can sometimes be "pinged" to locate you. As long as it is left on. Turn off the ringer but not the phone.
You'd be surprised how many phones are actually "live" and listening for 'pings' when turned completely off, so long as the battery is still in it (some also require the sim card, if applicable). The amount of power needed to keep those circuits on is negligible and the battery can go for weeks without being seriously affected.

Last year, we had a lost Alzheimer's patient in the area, that was found via cell phone location. As it turns out, his phone had been turned off the entire time.
A few conversations with relatives in the local Sheriff's department revealed that most new phones (post 2003-2005) have those circuits live as long as the battery is in the phone and has even a very low charge. When I bought my last phone, I asked the store manager about the same topic. He verified that pretty much every phone in his store had the 'ping' function live as long as the battery was in the phone.
Old November 5, 2012, 12:59 AM   #75
huntinaz

I don't hunt in a stand, but I do text while hunting. It's a good way to keep in touch with other members of the group without making any noise.