The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 6, 2012, 12:40 PM   #1
300magman

Those Wacky Unexpected Results

Does anyone here have a rifle that produces results wildly outside of what all the reloading manuals predict?

Of course, sometimes that can be easy to explain; extra long/short barrel, extended COAL to reach the lands, unusually large/small powder capacity for your brass, etc. But then there seem to be other rifles (at least I hope its not just me with one) that defy prediction and don’t offer such a simple explanation.

Of all the rifles in my collection, the puzzler is a marlin 45-70 with a 24” barrel. It shoots well and over time I’ve found my preferred loads, but I still like to experiment; which leads me into the following misadventures.

Some loads are clocking several hundred fps lower than book, even with a few extra grains of powder. And recently I have achieved one hundred fps over book max velocity, with a load that is only halfway up the recommended loading ladder.

So how about everyone else? Is there anyone out there with a similar experience, of owning a rifle that seems to enjoy confounding you, just for the joy it gets from making you nervous every time you take the first trigger pull on a new load?
Old June 6, 2012, 01:26 PM   #2
PawPaw

Most of my rifles confound me. One that shoots great today is only so-so tomorrow. Published velocity figures are just a jest. I've got a couple of great loads that combine high velocity with great, repeatable accuracy. I've got other loads that I can't seem to make work, no matter what I do.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com