The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 28, 2012, 06:47 PM   #1
billcarey

Opinions on an RCBS Turret Press

Anyone using an RCBS turret press? Have any comments, good or bad?

bc
Old May 28, 2012, 10:11 PM   #2
David Bachelder

I have one and I have had great service out of it. Not to mention the great service from RCBS. I use mine for both pistol and rifle loads. It's faster than a single stage, but not as fast as a progressive. I can slam quite a few straight wall pistol loads out using it. For rifle I use it more like a single stage.

I doubt that I'd buy a turret press if I had it to do all over. I think I'd go ahead and buy a progressive. More than likely a Hornady LNL, they seem like the best buy for the money.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:14 AM   #3
capodastro

I have one and for the most part like it. The priming handle that slides is a bit sticky, but does work. the little plastic thing that catches primers is cheap. I love being able to set all dies up and rotate as needed, especially with pistol dies, or 45-70. Easy to change out turret, so far seems very solid and will last a long time.
Old May 29, 2012, 06:52 AM   #4
stevelyn

I've never seen the side profile of the RCBS Turret, but does it have rear support for the turret to prevent springback?

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:16 AM   #5
LOLBELL

I've never seen the side profile of the RCBS Turret, but does it have rear support for the turret to prevent springback?

No, It doesn't, but I've not noticed that much spring back. It is a heavy built turret press.

Last edited by LOLBELL; May 29, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old May 29, 2012, 08:12 AM   #6
mhp

I have been using one for seven months and really pleased with it. The priming set up is super, the spent primer catcher is cheap but works, it catches every one.

With the primer tubes set up and the primer catcher in place it makes for a small work opening, maybe big hands would have trouble.

I haven't found a easy way to store the extra turrets yet.

I used a 4 hole Lee before and like the positive alignment of the RCBS.
Old May 29, 2012, 08:32 AM   #7
mumbo719

The RCBS Turret is a fine press. I'd much prefer the auto index of the Lee Classic turret though.
Old May 29, 2012, 09:14 AM   #8
David Bachelder

Maybe I wasn't as complementary as the press deserves. It is a fine press and it works very well. Like other presses it has its issues.

My only complaints:
  1. The primer slide is sticky, sometimes very sticky. I usually can get it to work but it is a small issue.
  2. The primer tube assembly is located too close to the press. You can't turn the turret a full turn with out running into it with the powder measure. I think a little more thought put into the design would have revealed this. The simple solution is to move the turret back and forth rather than around, or leave the powder measure off.

The turret head is anchored in two places. In the center and in the back. this does help reduce springback but does not eliminate it. I see a little tilting as I relaoad, but it's never been an issue.

I have been able to slam out the straight wall pistol cases with no problem. The movement of the turret is awkward but you adapt and get used to it. The reloads come out very well and all of the measurements match. The finished reloads look like clones.

All in all it's a great press and RCBS stands behind it 100%.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rcbs turret press.JPG (22.8 KB, 21 views)
Old May 29, 2012, 08:15 PM   #9
billcarey

Thanks for the input guys.
bc
Old May 31, 2012, 12:12 PM   #10
Hardcase

I don't have one, but one of my good friends does. He inherited a couple of them from his dad. I've used them before and they works great. If nothing else, they're certainly durable.

I concur with David's second point (I didn't have any problems with the primer slide.) We just left the powder measure off.
Old May 31, 2012, 08:25 PM   #11
billcarey

I have a Uniflow and want to mount it on the turret...been doing it that way on a Lyman turret and want to continue the same way. Am I hearing the primer rod will hit the powder measure if turned that way?

bc
Old June 1, 2012, 08:20 AM   #12
Rifleman1776

That's like asking for an opinion on the Rock of Ages.
Get real. It is a solid and good as something like that can be.
Old June 1, 2012, 03:54 PM   #13
billcarey

I know RCBS stuff is rock solid...being using their equipment for decades. But this press won't work for me if their Uniflow won't mount without hitting the turret or dies. If that's the case it leaves the T-7 on my short list.

bc
Old June 2, 2012, 03:00 PM   #14
David Bachelder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5KyQzigVLk

Watch the video you will see the guy switch directions. He is avoiding the powder measure. You will also see him hesitate due to a sticky primer slide.

Personally, I've learned to live with it and it's not a huge problem. For rifles I have the Powder measure off anyway. I ike to throw the charge light then trickle up. For pistol I slam them out and check every tenth charge or so. The RCBS powder measure is incredibally accurate with the powders I use.
Old June 3, 2012, 01:00 PM   #15
billcarey

Thanks for the video. It shows me what I needed to know.

bc