The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 29, 2009, 11:25 AM   #1
Smokey 92

Between shots

Should I remove the breech plug on my CVA Kodiak when wet swabbing between shots? At the range yesterday I would wet swab the barrel twice after each shot. 9 shots and there was a build up of fine crud, so heavy that it caused a mis-fire. Using 777 pellets, 777 primers and Hornady .250gr sabots.
Old November 29, 2009, 02:10 PM   #2
fastforty

Getting the swab all the way down and twisting it in that position should take up most of the crud, especially if you're doing it twice. Use a nipple pick before reloading to make sure crud hasn't been packed in the flash hole. Use it again after loading to make sure the spark will have a clear path.

I've shot mine 50+ rounds and there was some crud when I pulled the plug for cleaning, but nothing excessive. I could probably have shot another 50 rounds, but I had run out of wet patches and things were starting to get a little sticky.

Oh yeah, removing the plug for wet swabbing while at the range & continuing to fire would most likely wind you up with a lotta crud in the threads, a plug that won't screw all the way back in, or the kind of baked-in, burnt fouling crud that makes subsequent breech plug removal nearly impossible.

Last edited by fastforty; November 29, 2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: info
Old November 29, 2009, 02:23 PM   #3
FrontierGander

sounds like the plug got soaked from the soaked patches and blocked the flame channel. Also, with those stinky pellets, misfires or no fires are getting pretty common on the forums lately. Get some loose T7 2f and give that a go. Those pellets are no good.
Old November 29, 2009, 09:58 PM   #4
arcticap

What are you swabbing with?
Are you swabbing with an effective 777 solvent like TC's T17 solvent to pull out more of the residue?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

After swabbing to clean, swabbing again with a patch of 91% alcohol should evaporate and help to dry out the bore.
Or use a dry patch and also the nipple pick.

Last edited by arcticap; November 30, 2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old November 29, 2009, 11:51 PM   #5
shortwave

You may also want to switch primers to Remington Kleanbore Primers. Will help with the crud ring/seating problem.
Old November 30, 2009, 12:58 AM   #6
the rifleer

I honestly usually just shoot my kentucky rifle until its gets to difficult to ram the bullet to the bottom, but thats just me.

out of 50 shouts, i might scrub the bore once or twice.
Old November 30, 2009, 08:41 AM   #7
Doyle

At the range I ALWAYS remove my breech plug and wet-swab the barrel between shots. Prevents the buildup of the dreaded crud ring when using 777 powder. It also simulates the clean barrel that I'll be using when I actually shoot at an animal.
Old November 30, 2009, 12:53 PM   #8
Smokey 92

I'm swabbing with TC #13 bore cleaner. Thinking I may have NOT gotten all the moisture out before firing. I was soaking the patches pretty wet. I have some Pyrodex Select from my TC rifle, going to try that, and also try Blackhorn 209. Thanks for the good advice all.
Old November 30, 2009, 12:58 PM   #9
Doyle

To ensure it is dry, I always follow a wet patch with at least one dry patch - sometimes two.
Old November 30, 2009, 01:07 PM   #10
FrontierGander

use Windex or rubbing Alcohol to swab between shots with. Maybe do a 50/50 mix of both the windex and alcohol.

those other product cleaners are not worth the money.:barf: