The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 27, 2009, 09:07 AM   #1
Raider2000

Muzzleloading Shotgun?

Hello my friends.

I've been having an itch for a muzzleloading shotgun but for the life of me I can not find one of a realtively inexpensive price.

What I'm looking for is either a 20ga. or 12ga. single barrel "doubble barrel is nice but I'm trying to keep cost down due to the times right now" & Dixie Gun Works has a few one single Mortimer but that's out of my price range & so far all the sights that I look at seem to have only doubble Barrel models in the $700.00+ range, even the kit is $650.00+.

My price cap right now is $450.00 so do any of y-all know of a place that may have any for sale roughly in this price range even if it is a kit "that would be fun to build," my intrest is mostly a hunting shotgun for Turkey & Grouse & since I've been really on a BP kick for some years now I want to complement my safe with a shotgun.

Thank Y-all
Old November 27, 2009, 11:20 AM   #2
treg

I made a plug for the chamber of my H&R Pardner 12 gauge allowing it to be used as a BP muzzle loader. Shot many rabbits, squirrel and partridge with that outfit. It was tested for safety by remotely firing it straight up with extremly heavy charges of both shot and powder. Clean up was easy, the Pardner has a chrome lined bore. IIRC the loads were 100 gr of FF Goex and 1 1/8 oz of shot. I found BP to be very effective in a shotgun and after about 2 years of the ML set up I began to load BP shotshells which were equally (very) effective, pleasant to shoot and far more convienient. After a 10 year hiatus from the BP shotshells, I recently picked up a 12 gauge Lee Loader and will soon be loading and shooting them agian. I believe the pressure curve of BP makes for an easy shooting shotgun load, also minimizing deformation of the shot to produce excellent patterns.
Old November 27, 2009, 03:04 PM   #3
noelf2

Raider I've been looking for a side by side muzzle stuffer also, but looking for a 10ga. There was a Pedersoli sxs 12ga in the Valley Trader a couple weeks ago for $275, (not chrome lined and was fixed chokes, a modified and a full, man said it was about 12 years old and in VG condition). If I'd have known, I'd have picked it up for ya.

If you're not bothered about the traditional look, cabelas has a Traditions combo 12ga BP barrel (and assortment of screw in chokes) and a 50 cal ball/sabot rifled barrel for $399. Called the "fur and feather" . Here's a link for it:
http://tinyurl.com/yagskvz
Old November 27, 2009, 03:51 PM   #4
B.L.E.

TC used to make a single barrel traditional shotgun called the New Englander. You might search the gun trader websites for a used one.
Old November 27, 2009, 06:31 PM   #5
darkgael

H&R

H&R made (makes?) a single barrel ML 12 ga. called "The Huntsman". It is a "break open insert the cap". I bought the one that I have on Gunbroker for about $100. There is one there now - http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=147375932 I've seen them at gun shows also.

Pete
Old November 27, 2009, 08:15 PM   #6
grubbylabs

Davey Crockett Guns here in Pocatello has a used single in their shop. I thin its a TC New Englander and I wanna say they want just a little under 300 for it. It is a really nice looking gun.

Last edited by grubbylabs; November 27, 2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old November 27, 2009, 09:33 PM   #7
Raider2000

Now the New Englander sounds like my kinda of shotgun "wish I still had mine from 15+ years ago."
Old November 29, 2009, 11:07 PM   #8
SHIPCHIEF

I have a 12 ga. New Englander. It also has a 54 caliber barrel, and that's what I've been working with lately.
I'm looking forward to loading for the 12 ga cylinder barrel.
They are about the lowest priced T/C black powder gun, when you can find one.
Old November 30, 2009, 10:11 AM   #9
Hardcase

I don't have anything constructive to add, but I'm always itching to tell a story and you gave me the opportunity. Sorry in advance!

My great great grandpa kept his Springfield rifle that he carried in the Civil War and it worked its way down the family tree to my grandfather. In the summer of 1940, he wondered if it still worked, so he loaded it up with what he figured was "enough" black powder and a bunch of birdshot, tamped the whole business down and shot it from the bridge over the James River in Jamestown, North Dakota. Now, the story that I get from my dad, who was watching the whole debacle, was that there was this enormous cloud of smoke, my grandfather almost ended up on his behind and a trickle of little BBs dribbled out of the muzzle of the rifle onto the bridge.

On the plus side, the rifle survived with no damage and sits over the mantle of my fireplace (except for Independence Day, when it goes to the range to scare everyone). Also on the plus side, I can advise you that a muzzle loading rifle is not a good shotgun. The more you know.