The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 28, 2009, 04:31 PM   #1
crobar

barrel cleaning

Hello - I've read a lot about cleaning bp rifles but I haven't heard whether or not to dry patch the bore prior to the next time it gets shot or simply busting a cap or two. Without dry patching it I would think the powder load would stick all along the insides of the bore and even though the bullet would scrape it down the powder would be saturated and ineffective.
Old November 28, 2009, 04:47 PM   #2
the rifleer

I usually put some bore butter in it or some hopes 9, so i always run a few dry patches down to get it all out before i go shooting.

Even if you don't put something in it for storage, i would run one or two dry patches down the barrel, then shoot off a cap before you go shooting.
Old November 28, 2009, 05:24 PM   #3
Pahoo

I guess I can say that I don't ever truly dry-patch.
At the end of every shooting session and prior to going into the safe, I field clean with Ballisto or good old No. 13. Then a good solvent cleaning. Then a clean swab with bore butter or heavy oil. Next time out, I go back in with denatured alcohol and then pop a cap with patched rod in the bore, check for MUD and repeat the cap as needed till I don't see any MUD. Load and enjoy!!

Might add that on an unknown M/L, don't dry patch first or you are likely to get a stuck ramrod. i've had this happen to us twice and they are harder to get out than any PRB, conical or Sabot.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; November 28, 2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old November 28, 2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Hawg

I usually pop a cap and then pour a charge of powder and set it off before loading.
Old November 28, 2009, 11:24 PM   #5
crobar

Thank you guys for your comments. I feel much better now knowing how the folks in the know are doing it. I've already gotten stuck using too many dry patches at a time. A friend had a Co2 device that hooked to the nipple and blasted it out real slick like. Thanks again.
Old November 29, 2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Pahoo

Quote:
I've already gotten stuck using too many dry patches at a time.
Bet that had you thinking for awhile; Me too. One we soaked then pullled and the second one we blew out with the CO2 pusher. Made a funny sound as it exited the muzzle. The driest patch I use, is one with denatured alcohol. Starts out wet, for some lubrication then dries out in the bore. When we teach, we mostly use the Sate's M/L's and never know what kind of shape they are in, as they get used all over our district. Most of the time they are pretty crappy. We really approach these with caution and can get bit all to often. .... :barf:

Be Safe !!!