The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 14, 2009, 06:34 PM   #1
mpmillion

1863 Sawed off Winchester and 16 ga shotgun

Just had a death in the family and being in the Army I was put in charge of selling the firearms. I kept a couple for myself and was wondering if anyone had a good idea of what they are worth. The first one is a Winchester Model 12- 16 ga shotgun with a date of 1913 on it. The second one is also a Winchester but a lever action 12 ga sawed off shot gun from 1886. The barrel is 19" and looks like it was manufactured that way. Last I knew they both worked but I need to take them to a pro to get them checked out before I try them. Working or not I'm gonna keep them for sentimental value and because they are both kick ass. Oh yeah...I'm also going to get a ball and cap .32 Colt pocket revolver given to me whenever my father-in-law is done with it. It was his father's (recently deceased) and he has said that I'm gonna get it soon. Any estimations on value or a good smith in south central missouri?
This is my first post and appreciate everyone's time and input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12ga Lever sawed off.jpg (96.5 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Model 12 16ga.jpg (95.3 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 12ga.jpg (95.3 KB, 128 views)
Old November 14, 2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Hawg

The 1913 on the model 12 is the patent date as is the 1886 on the lever action. The lever action is a model 1887. I don't know of any 87's made with that short of a barrel, it was probably professionally cut down. The 87 has 2 1/2 inch chambers and possibly a damascus barrel depending on manufacture date. The model 12 could also be chambered for 2 1/2 inch shells if it's an early one.
Old November 15, 2009, 02:16 PM   #3
dakotaern

gunsmith in Missouri

jpmillion:
Greetings:
I use Harlan at triple river gunsmithing in Warsaw, Mo. I don't have his number handy but you can find in in the yellow pages. He's a very good smith..
dakotaern/missouri
Old November 15, 2009, 05:53 PM   #4
mpmillion

dakotaern,
Thanks for the reply with a smith that is in the area. I'll probably go see him in a couple of weeks....again thank you.
Old November 15, 2009, 06:12 PM   #5
mpmillion

Hawg Haggen,
It does look like the barrel was cut down but it had to be done professionally awhile ago. My grandfather-in-law got the weapon in this condition and has had it that way for the last sixty years....sawed off is the only way he has seen it.
I'm pretty sure it works because he had it loaded with slugs and he was an avid firearms guy. He did competitive shooting and had numerous awards over the years for it so I'm sure he would not load a weapon that didn't work. BUT...I'm definitely gonna get it checked out before I load it. I don't wanna fire it all the time but I think it would be cool if it did fire. Having a backup for my 1911 and my wifes glock 17 is never a bad idea. Also I don't think there are many more intimidating things than a shot gun...especially a lever action that is sawed off.
Someone tried to get me to reblue them but I don't want to hurt the value so I'm gonna stay away from that.
Anyway...enough rambling....thanks for the help.
Old November 16, 2009, 05:35 AM   #6
Hawg

I got my 87 as a teenager and hunted avidly with it for years using 2 3/4 shells without any damage but I don't recommend it. Now I cut down shells to 2 1/2 and use bp in it. I have my dads model 12 he bought new in 53. It's my favorite shotgun.
Old November 16, 2009, 08:34 AM   #7
Uncle Buck

Triple River has done work for me in the past. They are there, just down from the Truman dam, in Warsaw. Guys are great and for the world of me, I can not find their number.
They are well worth the ride over to Warsaw, MO.