The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 13, 2008, 02:27 AM   #1
Beretta16

Procedure for Painting a Gun?

So I am planning on buying a cheap mosin nagant m44, and I am wondering if anyone knows the step-by-step procedure for applying paint to the barrel and other metal parts. I have heard that you should sand blast it, then brake clean it, then bake it, then paint it? I dont really plan on sandblasting it because I dont know where to do that and dont want to pay for it, but how do you bake the gun? just throw it in your oven? some advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old December 13, 2008, 10:39 AM   #2
LWC

This link may help.
Old December 13, 2008, 11:55 AM   #3
publius

Beretta, I got a cheap M44 a few years back and painted it. First I put a turned down bolt handle on and a scope mount. I cleaned it thoroughly using the usual methods, powder solvents, toothbrush, etc. then, as I always do cleaning a gun, I blasted all the dirty solvent away w/carb cleaner except I cleaned again w/solvent and carbed it again, a whole can!. Then I thoroughly cleaned the whole thing w/acetone and blew it dry w/air hose. I let it sit for a day, went back and taped up the bolt except the handle and cocking piece. Then I simply painted it with a cheap can of wrinkle paint. It has held up just fine. I D'ONT use carb or brake cleaner on it any more. It stays in my truck tool box during deer season in case someone invites me on an unexpected deer hunt.
Old December 19, 2008, 07:52 PM   #4
lon371

If you do a google, you will come up with some articles.

I think there were some on this site as well.

What I did was scrub the dickens out of my M44, lightly scuffed the metal and the after market stock. taped up where I wanted black(stock started black) sprayed the tan over the tape to outline the black, Then taped over the tan where I wanted it to stay, Sprayed the green, and when dry removed the tape and dusted with brown.
Remember I did this to a rifle I only had $25 dollars in. I was not worried about the critics and purest. I is not the prettiest but hey it aint all black

Have fun with it. If you screw it up scuff up the paint and go again. Oh yeah I did not use primer, I did use the camo paint from Wally World.

Lonny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camomosinNew.jpg (54.5 KB, 180 views)
Old December 20, 2008, 12:19 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

It depends on the finish you are applying. If it is designed for guns, it will have instructions specific to the paint chemistry. The most durable results usually start with abrasive blasting and zinc phosphating (Parkerizing) the gun first to provide a porous surface for the paint to adhere to. You can still do very well by blasting alone. If you are not after a professional finish, you will likely do best to leave the original finish in place and degrease it rigorously before painting.

Some of the paints need to be baked to cure. The Teflon-moly finish sold by Brownells, for example, has a thermoplastic resin in it that has to reach an adequate temperature to fuse and cure, a little like powder coating. An electric oven is always best for finishes that require either pre-heating the metal for application or for paint curing heat, as it doesn't contribute moisture, a combustion byproduct of petroleum gases, including natural gas.

Some of the finishes sold for guns on line have instructions you can read at their web sites. Google Gun Kote and Duracoat. Check the Brownells products. They have spray paint in camo colors and camo color kits by Lauer (the Duracoat people).
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Tags
finishing , mosin nagant , paint