The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 9, 2008, 10:53 PM   #1
bob88144

Looking for .308 for Hunting

I am looking to buy a new rifle for hunting. I am in Georgia, so shot target range is really a maximum a about 200 yards. I am use to hunting with a tradition rifle platform: long stock and barrel, level or bolt actions, with a scope or iron sight, nothing to fancy just a hunting rifle. i already on a marlin 30-30 lever action and a shot gun

I started looking at the in November and have seen some nice rifles. Best friend has a Ruger Mark II or Hawkeye .308 and i have shot it a couple of times and really like it but i started noticing a trend in people using AR style platforms for hunting. I was really intrigued by that. so i started looking into it.

I guess my question for you guys is what to go with? A traditional rifle, bolt action preferably, or a AR style. I know that the AR style is more expensive. and i am not willing/able to go and throw over $2000 into a rifle. I want the rifle to be a .308. Just a caliber i like. any thoughts, questions or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old December 9, 2008, 11:05 PM   #2
Swampghost

There are lots of choices and you're going to lots of answers. I've always been a Remington fan and you can do a lot with a 700.

Personally, if I saw a RamboRifle in a hunt camp it would disturb me.
Old December 9, 2008, 11:37 PM   #3
JonnyReb

I just picked up the new remington vtr, a walking/varmint variation, a rig based on the 700 action and in .308. It had a weird new triange shaped barrel that supposed to be stiff as a bull barrel but light. It comes with a hogue stock in an o.d green. Good looking gun imo.

I put a leupold compact on it and broke it in. It is going to be quite accurate with a stronger scope in the spring. For now i like the light weight and perfect balance. Paid just under $700.00 out the door including tax. Well worth it so far as i'm concerned. J.R.
Old December 9, 2008, 11:43 PM   #4
whiplash

"nothing to fancy".....I would try looking for a Savage Model 99 in a .308. There are a lot of good condition "shooters" out there that wont break the bank. I picked one up (kind of caught the M99 bug, this is my 2nd) for $400, and it shoots really good. This could be something your looking for, especially if your not shooting much past 200yrds.
Old December 10, 2008, 06:47 AM   #5
TheManHimself

Quote:
So, accuracy close to a bolt action while retaining the immediate second shot of a semi-auto are undesirable traits in a hunting rifle?
Old December 10, 2008, 07:18 AM   #6
taylorce1

Quote:
It doesn't bother me if a guy wants to use it to hunt with but please don't bring it out around the camp and start showing it off. The only reason I say that is I hunt public lands a lot here in CO and a sure way to get harassed by the DOW is to have a black rifle while hunting. I usually don't mind talking to the Wardens most of them are real nice guys, and I get checked on a regular basis, but I'd rather them be out there looking for the guy breaking the law not waiting instead of watching someone in my camp to wait and see if they will stick the wrong capacity mag in it or not.

I'm a big fan of the bolt gun as well, little more reliable I feel and I've been shooting black guns for years. I like how that Ruger Frontier rifle looks, and have been thinking seriously about getting one. With that 2.5X Leupold Scout Scope it should be plenty accurate out to 200 yards for deer, or just mount a regular scope on it in the more traditional manner.
Old December 10, 2008, 08:09 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

The Savage 110 or 111 are great rifles. Accurate, a little ugly, reliable and priced well. While mine doesn't have one, people are very impressed with the accutrigger that they now come with.
Old December 10, 2008, 04:23 PM   #8
bob88144

i like the Remington, but that can be a little pricey for a traditional rifle. but i know that they are good, accurate rifles. but i have not heard to much about the savage until recently. i like the detachable magazines that come with the browning though. picking a new rifle makes you fill like a kid in a candy store
Old December 10, 2008, 04:34 PM   #9
jmr40

I have no problem with a military style rifle in 308 for hunting, but you are looking at at least $1200 for one. They are also a lot heavier than most bolt rifles. I have 3 AR-15's in 223 and would have no problem hunting our small Georgia deer with that round. 308 is even better, but I really prefer a bolt rifle for hunting. Since you are familiar with your friends Ruger I would suggest an all weather Hawkeye.
Old December 10, 2008, 04:55 PM   #10
popeyespappy

I like the Remington 700 SPS tactical in 308 as a deer gun. At 7-1/2 lbs it’s no light weight sporter but it’s no heavy weight either. The 20” barrel makes for quick handling and is easier to get through the brush than some of other 22-26” options. Plus find a load it likes and it is going to be as accurate as anything you can buy for less than $600. Put a Leupold FX-II 4x33 on it, zero it at 200 yards and load it with some 150 grain noslers and you’re going to be + or – 2-1/2” of your point of aim from 0 to 230 yards.
Old December 11, 2008, 01:45 AM   #11
tuffteddyb

i agree with kreyzhorse savage 110 or 111 with accutriggger innit ,cheap rifle and shoots great,have one in 7wsm and lovin it!
Old December 11, 2008, 01:56 AM   #12
publius

I assume you're talking about an AR-15. You can't get one in 308. You can get an AR-10 in 308 but they're more expensive and not as versatile as the AR-15. You can get the AR-15 in 6.8 and it wouldn't bother me a bit if you showed up to go hunting with me carrying it. now, saying all that, I would get a good bolt gun in .308, everybody has their favorite brand but they're all pretty good. just make sure you dont go cheap on the scope. leupold,Nikon,Burris,bushnell Elite, any of these should serve you well.
Old December 11, 2008, 02:03 AM   #13
kametc

The Savage is a very good inexpensive choice. Some not so inexpensive choices are a 700 Rem BDL. The ADL synthetic is actually priced about with the Savage. The new model 70 Winchesters are out....about $900 for a std featherweight up here. If cost is no object I love the balance of the M85 Sako.

Ken
Old December 11, 2008, 03:15 AM   #14
Pathfinder45

Shop around at gun shows.

I don't mind buying brand new guns but I have to admit I prefer used, even older firearms. The vintage ones make me salivate. There are good deals to be had on better than new guns. Something with real walnut...... Made in U.S.A. back when America was at its zenith. And classic calibers that your grandpa might have used......
Old December 11, 2008, 04:10 AM   #15
NWCP

Take a good look at the CZ 550 bolt action in .308. Reasonably priced, accurate and very well made. I like a bolt action rifle for hunting. JMHO
Old December 11, 2008, 08:06 AM   #16
fxdrider

Quote:
I guess my question for you guys is what to go with? A traditional rifle, bolt action preferably, or a AR style.
I don't see a real advantage to hunting with an AR-type rifle over a good solid bolt or lever action. The AR's do offer much quicker follow-up shots, if needed...but the same can be said of any other semi-auto hunting rifle, say the Remington 7400, or the Winchester SXR, for example. The AR's do offer MUCH higher magazine capacity that the more traditional styled semi-auto hunting rifles do, but it's debatable whether or not that's a real advantage practically speaking for hunting. Some states even limit mag-capacity on hunting weapons, so high-cap mags wouldn't be an advantage at all in that case.

I'm not saying an AR would be a bad thing to hunt with, I just don't think I'd go out of my way to get one specifically for hunting. Self-defense, yes. That said, if one were to already have an AR chambered in .308, go ahead and hunt with it if your state allows. It would be cool to say, "I took that one with my AR".

For deer hunting here in Virginia, alot of folks use lever-actions - both scoped and open-sighted - and alot of folks use bolt-actions. I personally prefer the scoped bolt-action. I have a Tikka T3 Hunter in .308 that has leveled 3 whitetails since I bought it in October 2007. I paid a little over $600.00 for it, which was good at the time in my area - but I understand they can be had for less in other parts of the country. Do a search on Tikka in this forum, and you'll find most Tikka owners are very happy with them. They are accurate out of the box, and they don't break the bank.

Good luck in your search.
Old December 11, 2008, 08:19 AM   #17
giaquir

Swampghost--++++1
We have too many yahoos
in the woods now knocking
down our public image,don't need
anymore
Old December 11, 2008, 10:48 AM   #18
batmann

I'm kind of a lever action (.30-30) guy myself, but I too have been looking to 'upgrade' to a .308. I have done a little research and have narrowed my choices down to two.
In keeping with my 'lever' action tradition, a Browning BLR. It has a detatchable mag and is pretty accurate out to 300Yrd or so, maybe more if the right shooter is pulling the trigger. The weight is under 7# without scope.
My other choice is a Ruger RSI 'International', just love Mannlilicher style stocks. It a compact, bolt action and also in around 7# or less without scope, and also is pretty accurate out to 300 Yrds or so. As you can see I kind of like rifles a little different than mainstream.
If you want another choice in the lever action group, take a look at the .308 Marlin Express. Not quite to overall power of a .308, but not far from it in a traditional lever action. Drawback is ammo, only a 160grn flex tip bullet out there that is factory.
Old December 11, 2008, 10:52 AM   #19
TPAW

Take a look at the Savage rifles. Good bang for your buck and very accurate out of the box.
Old December 11, 2008, 11:39 AM   #20
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Another vote for a Savage with the accu-trigger. Get a good scope - Leupold or Ziess or something compatable. Check Natchez Shooters Supply for good deals.
Old December 11, 2008, 11:41 AM   #21
cat9x

Browning BAR MKII in .308 w/ or w/out BOSS system is a deadly autoloader...and pretty
Old January 30, 2009, 11:41 PM   #22
Ahshucks

A friend of mine brought his new AR to hunt with us on deer drives this year. Strapping young lad let me handle his rifle, pulled it up and it shouldered nice but noticed it was rather front heavy. Next day he asked to use one of my traditional rifles because his was too heavy to carry around on all those drives. And we do hit it hard in some of the most God forsaken marsh areas and stumble brush you can find.

He did drag my deer out for me this year!
Old January 31, 2009, 07:46 AM   #23
Lloyd Smale

buy a blr in 308. The lever isnt as fast as a semi auto but pretty close. there clip fed so fast reloads are possible. It would make a fine traditional hunting rifle that would be an excellent urban combat gun if the need arrises. Just order a couple extra mags when you buy it as they can be hard to find.
Old January 31, 2009, 08:22 AM   #24
Picher

There's only one deer rifle in my safe; a Rem 700 Stainless .270 in a Sendero take-off stock. It's the perfect deer rifle...for me and the Maine conditions I hunt in.

I just like Remingtons. I started with a Savage, but like the 700 much better. The stock fits perfectly, allowing a low scope mount and the grips falls naturally to my hand. The bolt handle is a tad small for gloved hands, but has never been a problem for me in over 30 years and about as many deer. It is fairly light, about 7 3/4 lbs, and extremely stable, both offhand and off a rest. Oh yeah, and it's accurate...very accurate!

I can't imagine carring a heavy AR-type rifle in the woods. It has lots of things that can catch brush and twigs. Form follows function. Why use a military weapon for a sporting use? It's not the optimal firearm. It's a compromise that was designed for firepower in combat conditions. One shot-one deer..."aim small miss small". That's what hunting animals should be about.

The American hunting rifle has developed into a near-perfect tool; light, powerful, and the scopes are great. A 3-9 is about perfect for most hunting. I recommend a .308 or .30-06 to the average size/weight/strength hunter.

Today, it's hard to beat a Tikka T3 for value and utility, but I recommend an American-made rifle. America needs the jobs; especially in the firearms business.

Picher
Old January 31, 2009, 10:52 AM   #25
Singlesix1954

Get what fits your use

You have made a great choice in .308 Win. Now as for the gun... well all have good ideas and now you have a shopping list. Go to gunstores, gunauctions, gunshows, and the people you share your hunt with. Pick what you like. Some folks like to impress friends with fancy or macho. Some pick the best tackdriver they can get. Others go for classic or collector statice. The choice is yours because you live in the U.S.A. So enjoy the serch for the gun you want, aswell as the hunt for game in the field. I have a pre 64 Win. Mod 70 Featherweight .308 and love it. This is a great Cal. and is good for P-dogs to Elk depending on the load used. Most new guns in this Cal. are of good quality due to the use of CNC equip. It doesn't matter if you prefer a AR-10 or a single shot as long as you like it.

Tags
hunting