The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 25, 2013, 07:44 PM   #26
WildBill45

My Model 7 custom KS in 350 Rem mag with custom loads is a tack driver. I have not changed the scope setting in ten or more years, probably more...

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old January 25, 2013, 08:11 PM   #27
steveNChunter

wpsdlrg- I am teeter tottering on the fence of whether or not to float the barrel. I am afraid of making things worse but if it will make even the first two shots from a cold barrel group better, I believe it is worth doing for a hunting rifle. How did your M7 do on the first two shots when it was floated?
Old January 25, 2013, 08:50 PM   #28
reynolds357

Measure the amount of pressure before you float. That way if floating does make it worse you can re create the pressure point.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:19 PM   #29
Tim R

Steven.....OK you live in a single wide with little room for reloading or so you think. I used to C clamp a RCBS press to a $10.00 table I bought at a yard sale after I got caught by the wife using her table. I kept everything in their org boxes and it took up little storage space. It’s gratifying when you find the fodder your grumpy rifle likes.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:00 PM   #30
bigalshootmupper

I free floated my model 7 6mm Rem and it made a huge difference. Mine has an 18" pencil barrel. It was shooting 3-4" at 100 yards with all ammos, even with reloads. I then free floated the barrel and it will sometimes do 1" at 100 yards.

I am not saying you should free float yours. I would try at least 6 different ammos before trying it. If all 6 shoot bad, I doubt free floating will make it worse. If it will shoot 1-2", then that may be all she will do.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:24 PM   #31
Picher

Some weren't reading, so here it is again:

Pillar bedding and free-floating a model 7 can shoot fantastically, as noted in my previous post. The one I did was shooting 3/8 groups at 100 yards with factory Rem Loc-tites!!!!! Put that in your pencil-piped 7 and smoke it!!!
Old January 25, 2013, 10:36 PM   #32
steveNChunter

big al- I wish I couldve found one chambered 6mm instead of .243. One of the best calibers ever to be killed.

Picher- I read it, and I believe it. I just hope if I float mine it will turn out as well as yours did.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:47 PM   #33
reynolds357

Picher, every rifle is different.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:20 AM   #34
TexAg

My 6mm model seven has always been a 1-2" gun. It does have a bit of a stiff trigger and I'm sure lightening it up would help. I've used 100 grain Core lokt and 95 grain Hornady SST, both group about the same, SST just hits higher.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:25 AM   #35
Picher

Floating without good action bedding can make accuracy worse. Actions must be bedded correctly, preferably pillar-bedded, to achieve consistency.

Two of the "musts": 1. masking tape under, both sides, and ahead of the recoil shield. Remove it after hardening/removal. This prevents the action from "rocking" on the epoxy.

2. After hardening/removal, be sure that any blind receiver screw holes aren't filled with epoxy, preventing the action from being adequately tightened into the bedding.

Done right, I've never seen a bolt-action rifle shoot worse after bedding.