The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 5, 2012, 06:58 PM   #1
TennJed

Freedom Arms .22mag mini revolver

There is a Freedom Arms "Casulls Improvement" .22mag mini revolver for sale locally for $200. Can anyone tell me if that is a fair price? What is the quality of these compared to the NAA?

I know Freedom Arms has a really good reputation, but I did not realize they made mini revolvers at one point (looks like they are discontinued). It is a 4 shot with a 2" barrel.

I don't really have a need or plan on this being a defensive gun, I just like small guns
Old September 6, 2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Edward429451

I have the FA 22 LR mini-revo. I paid 150 1-1/2 eons ago so 200 for a Mag version sounds ok. I shot one of my chronys with this gun. It is a solid gun, but don't ever pop the sideplate off or you'll beee sorrry.

The FA mini-revo were the first mini-revo's. The two guys split partnership and the other went on to make the NAA mini-revos. The FA does not have the notches between the chambers so my 5 shot is carried 4 up. I'm not sure about the Mag versions. I expect that they're the same way.

I did own a NAA 22 Mag once and I can not tell any difference in quality to the FA. They're good little guns.
Old September 6, 2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Jeremiah/Az

I have both the Freedom Arms & the NAA minis. My FA is more well made with closer tolerances, ie. lock up. I have killed many rattlers here with them & snake shot. The NAA is my BUG & always on me. I would grab it, as they have not been made for quite some time.
Old September 6, 2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Edward429451

If it has that stupid belt buckle stud sticking out the side of it, a call to FA will get you a replacement screw in the mail for free. The stud will screw right out and the screw right in without fuss.
Old September 6, 2012, 10:11 PM   #5
TennJed

Thanks guys
Old September 8, 2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Japle

I have a FA .22 LR mini also. It's amazingly accurate if you hold it exactly the same for each shot. I've won bets by hitting a full-size silhouette target at 100 yds five out of five.

I chronoed it with various loads. Not too shabby out of a 1" barrel.

Rem 40 gr Match 744 fps, SD 14
Fed Champion 810 fps, SD 27
CCI Mini-Mag HP 870 fps, SD 28

Old September 8, 2012, 11:37 AM   #7
Mystro

I own a NAA 22lr and have handled FA 22lr. They feel identical in quality. That said, I have shot my NAA 22lr alot and its quality is outstanding. Built like a Swiss watch. I have put down more road hit deer with my NAA 22lr. Everyone should have one.
Old September 8, 2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Salmoneye

I sure hope your guns work better than this guy's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gscl5vPPsyc
Old September 8, 2012, 02:06 PM   #9
Japle

On the FTFs you can see him flinching like mad. It's not the gun that can't hit.

The FTFs would bother the heck out of me. Is the gun dirty? Is the ammo bad?
Old September 8, 2012, 04:02 PM   #10
Salmoneye

Good questions Japle...

From the comments under the vid:

Quote:
my buddy just got himself a little North American Arms 22 magnum and is taking a few shots. this little gun can be difficult to aim with. For self defense In high stress situations, it needs to be really close for a sure shot.

NOTE: the ammo used in this video is really old and might have been rained on out in his shed, No FTF (failure to fire)'s with new, name brand ammo.

UPDATE::::::: My friend in this video has done some more practicing and he can shoot his AA much better now::::::::::::::
My initial post was not meant to besmirch the gun(s), just that I had seen this only yesterday and it was still in my memory banks...