The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 14, 2009, 01:42 AM   #1
tony mcdonald

m24/47 yugo mauser-8mm advice needed

new guy requests permission to come aboard. just got a yugo m24/47 from j and g sales and a case of 8mm ammo, old, corrosive type, but clean in the sealed tin. First round does not go boom, so I chucked it, then none of them worked until I recocked usually 2 or 3 times. I cleaned the bolt and reciever with hoppes #9 to remove the heavy grease and swabbed the bore. I cound not figure how to remove the bolt and dissemble it. Is the gunk in the bolt body retarding the firing pin, sure looks like a light firing pin strike. How does a guy get the bolt out and taken apart? this is a cool rifle, old but with lots of character and a good feel, good cartridge too. Thanks for any help.
Old November 14, 2009, 01:55 AM   #2
emcon5

Here you go:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...mbly/index.asp

And a video:

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=15970
Old November 14, 2009, 03:22 AM   #3
tater134

What type of ammo was it that you were shooting?I know the 50's yugo ammo had very hard primers and required 2 strikes to go off in some of my 8mm rifles.
Old November 14, 2009, 08:49 AM   #4
5whiskey

Yeah, emcon put you on the right direction. Disassembling the bolt to get all of the cosmo out is pretty important. If it's too gummed up you could possibly break the firing pin. If it does break, the only way to get a replacement these days is to buy a firing pin for a K98 and have someone to fabricate it to fit the shorter yugo bolt.

That coupled with the fact that a lot of the surplus 8mm mauser ammo does indeed have hard primers.

One last thing, welcome aboard sir

Last edited by 5whiskey; November 14, 2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old November 14, 2009, 03:02 PM   #5
mp25ds4

buy a wolff 22 pound firing pin spring and that should fix the problem, i think they sell them on midwayusa.com
Old November 14, 2009, 08:09 PM   #6
tony mcdonald

thanks to all of you for the advice, surplus rifles had all I needed, spent the day taking the bolt apart, de-gummin it and going over each part with fine emery paper, just a light touch. Man, there looks like some machining in the fabrication of that bolt. Put her all back together and was 100% at the range. 80 rounds without a hiccup. Man is that cheap shooting. I saw those hard primers yesterday, some of those light strikes barely made a mark. That rifle just rocks, a real manly cartridge , consistant hits at 200 and even 400 yds. That is a bargain rifle with lots of class, and the feel that it will go to h*** and back.
Old November 14, 2009, 08:13 PM   #7
tony mcdonald

p.s the ammo was just exactly what you described -50's yugo hardball. really smacks the steel plates.
Old December 5, 2009, 04:56 PM   #8
Crazy Carl

How was the bore/rifling & muzzle on that rifle? I've been kind of eye-balling them, myself.
Old December 5, 2009, 05:55 PM   #9
sonick808

that's going to be my second c&r purchase once i receive it

jg has some nice looking specimens

First c&r will be a ttc.... not sure who has those yet

ETA: hot damn, j&g has those too!

glad to see you are on track with your mauser. I will probably refer to this thread when I get mine also
Old December 12, 2009, 10:37 AM   #10
dean1818

I have a 24/47 that I purchased for hunting, and have done the following:

1) 22 lb Wolff Spring
2) DEEP CLEANING of the bolt (BAKE it.... it will fully remove the cosmoline that it was holding, even a little bit in the works may keep the firing pin from fully engageing)
3) Purchased a "tallsight" because these rifles were sighted in at just over 200 Meters. (They shoot 12 - 20 inches high at 100 yards)

The tallsight needed to be filed down to the distance that you prefer.

After some good and bad days with the 50's yugo ammo, I switched completely and sighted the rifle to the Romanian 8MM

Many milsurplus fans that shoot the 50's ammo just shoot the bullet again.
(I quickly tired of that..... I have also heard of these bullets going off a few seconds later. A big problem if you have just ejected it)

Enjoy your rifle..... very fun to shoot