The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 10, 2009, 06:35 PM   #1
diowk

Whats wrong with my Dillon 550b?

I just finished setting everything up and I noticed that the cases are able to wobble around in the shellplate, the locator pins are doing nothing, the cases are just floating above them. The index star is a tiny bit wobbly but if I tighten it anymore it will bind with the little bar that ejects the cartriages. If I put a primer in by hand and push the handle forward, the primer just barely reaches the head of the case but doesnt come anywhere close to actually pushing it in. Because my cases have so much wobble in the shellplate, I have to guide the case into the sizing die with my fingers, and my bullets are always seated crooked. Does anyone know whats wrong?
Old May 10, 2009, 07:00 PM   #2
D. Manley

Right shellplate and locator pins? Be sure the shellplate isn't upside down...the identifying number should be facing up.
Old May 10, 2009, 07:03 PM   #3
diowk

I know its the right shellplate. And the locator pins are #3s they came in the conversion kit.
Old May 10, 2009, 07:13 PM   #4
dmazur

The shellplate has to be below the wire that ejects the finished rounds. If you tighten the center bolt, it should be increasing clearance with the shellplate, not decreasing it.

Also, while the manual didn't say anything about lubing these parts, I have much better performance after putting a couple of drops of gun oil on the spring & ball detent under the shellplate.

Don't forget about the brass-tipped setscrew that locks the center bolt in place. (I always forget that durn thing...)
Old May 10, 2009, 09:41 PM   #5
raxafarian

take the wire that ejects rounds out when installing or changing shellplates. That's the last thing you put in and you can move it up and down to clear both the shellplate and 'star'. You have to rotate the shellplate 1/2 way between 'stop's to get it in.

When you rotate the shellplate do you feel it snap into place every time it gets to the 'correct' location to pull the handle?

You aren't trying to put a shell into stations 2, 3, or 4, are you? The buttons block those stations. You can only put a shell in at station 1 unless you remove a button.

I'm guessing this is for 9mm (or 38 super or .380) going by the number 3 buttons. You should also have a #5 shellplate (or a #3 for .380)
Old May 11, 2009, 07:36 PM   #6
ccwtrainer

Call DILLON, their number is in the manual.
You won't find many problems they haven't already solved.
It's toll free for goodness sake!