The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 23, 2007, 08:47 PM   #1
KCB

.223 with Varget ???

I am not real experienced with handloading and have a question about the Varget recommended max loads for the .223 They state 27grn for 60grn. VMAX. When I load 27grns. into a case it is almost full and when the bullet seats I can hear/fell it compress the powder. Is this normal? I have checked my scale and it is brand new. Any help is appreciated.
Old October 23, 2007, 09:23 PM   #2
rgitzlaff

yes, compressed load is normal. do not worry.
Old October 23, 2007, 10:40 PM   #3
rn22723

You are working your load up in increments? When you use that much Varget you might want to consider a drop tube to help settle the Varget. Great choice of powders for sure! But, when you have light bullets work up to max charges well, you need a drop tube.
Old October 24, 2007, 06:31 AM   #4
Sigma 40 Blaster

Yeah, it is normal but remember that is a max load. Start at 25 and work your way up...if you're just plinking with an AR save some powder and go with 25 gr or so...works well in mine. For hunting loads...load away. Just my opinion
Old October 24, 2007, 02:42 PM   #5
UGH

I use 24 grains for the 60 vmax and OAL set for my rifle. I get bullet through bullet accuracy. I started the seating depth about 20 thousandths off the lands and went in 3 to 5 thousandths at a time until I got the accuracy I was looking for. I would start at around 24 grains and go up in .5 increments and pick the one that shot the best and then play with the OAL. Just be sure to put a few fouling shots down the barrel first before you shoot your test loads. De-burr the flash hole also for good consistent ignition if accuracy is important.
I am assuming that that is part of why you took up reloading. There are a lot of things you can to for accuracy.The internet is full of info. It just depends on what level your after.Also it would help to know what type of rifle you intend on using your loads in. Just my 2 cents
Old October 24, 2007, 11:35 PM   #6
mc223

Just an after thought to this thread. I routinely test case capacity with a bullet seated, with the powder of choice. The method is simple and does provide a bit of information as to just how much powder will fit in a case without compression. Most of my 223 and 6mm loads tend to follow a pattern of best accuracy at or very near a full case (100% load density). I drill a case thru the primer pocket at primer pocket diameter. Seat a bullet to whatever is required for the load. That may be mag length or some distance into or away from the lands. Then pour powder into the case thru the primer hole dither or tap the case to settle powder in till it is right at the base of the web. I then weigh the powder from the case. More often than not I find the most accurate load very near to this weight. Sometime needs a little more or a little less.
Where this gets interesting is that in direct comparison with load manuals, the loads derived in this manner will generally show very near the book velocitys and good accuracy on the target.
The cases I loaded this week with the 60g V-Max were weighed for uniformity. 1 case was sacrificed for capacity and held 24.8g of Varget.
I heard from some highpower guys that as powders become more compressed in a small case the behavior changes to a slightly slower burn rate, hence the gains in velocity and accuracy at higher charges wher compression goes into the 110% load density range.
Loading at lower charges may be easy on the brass but will very likely never provide the best possible accuracy or performance.
I moly coat all my bullets and actually exceed the book charges in order to get the velocities up to nekid bullet velocities.
Back before I started using moly, my standard load for the 60g V-Max was 26g Varget. That was just where my rifle shot them best, and it really wasn't that tough on brass. I was getting 7 to 10 loadings out of Lake City.
Old October 24, 2007, 11:42 PM   #7
KCB

Thanks for the info guys. I did forget to add that these loads will be shot out of a Bushmaster Varminter 24". I started some loads at 25 grns and there is no compression, I will play around with different charges and see what shoots best.
Old October 25, 2007, 10:03 PM   #8
mrawesome22

Give that 27gr Varget charge a few whaps on the side of the bench with your finger covering the case neck. You'll find that the powder height decreases considerably.