The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 4, 2015, 12:37 PM   #1
Rookie21

Newbie to shotguns and this new gun

I recently bought this 20 gauge double barrel. I wanted an affordable gun to learn how to shoot moving clays with and maybe small game hunt with. I like double barrels because they look classic and feel good, but also because they are a simple gun. But I don't know much about this make or model and was wondering if anyone here knows about them.

On one barrel it says "Kassnar Imports - Harrisburg PA". On the other it says "Zabala Hmos S.R.C. Eibar - Made in Spain" and above it, it says 20 gauge 3" magnum shells M+F".

If you know me I regularly shoot pistol and Blackpowder. But I've picked up an interest in shotgun shooting and know nothing about them or the ammunition.
Old October 4, 2015, 02:03 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Spanish made shotguns(and most firearms from there) vary a great deal in quality. Your's is ok, but not high end. It'll do nicely. You don't need a high priced shotgun to hunt or just shoot.
Kassnar Imports brought stuff in from there and Italy. They were just the importer.
The 'M+F' means one barrel has a Full choke and the other is a Modified. Full is a longer range proposition.
You do not need to use 3" ammo only either. 2.75" will be fine and easier on your shoulder.
Old October 4, 2015, 02:44 PM   #3
FITASC

Zabala Brothers is the maker; it came from the Basque region in northern Spain.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa

Last edited by FITASC; October 4, 2015 at 05:48 PM. Reason: added for clarity
Old October 4, 2015, 03:21 PM   #4
Rookie21

Thanks guys. I didn't think it was a high end gun. Especially from what I paid for it. It is how ever in very good shape. Possibly well cared for or shot little. I have to hold the gun open the last little bit to have clearance enough to get the shells in. I just picked up some Winchester 2.75 just to see how I'd do. Fun little gun. I'm no good with it right now but I just needed a starting point. Thanks for the info on the gun. Where there any particular problems or breakage in any specific areas of the gun? Or across any particular years of production? I did some looking around for pictures of others like mine and some have engraving and mine does not. The only ones I saw engraved wee 12 ga, but not all 12 ga guns I saw were engraved. Different grades or models?
Old October 4, 2015, 05:53 PM   #5
FITASC

Most likely different models.

Here is another I found for sale:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100544835
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 4, 2015, 08:29 PM   #6
Rookie21

I noticed a lot of the ones I see online have caps on the heel of the pistol grip or wrist. Mine does not have that. Nor does it have any stamped designs or engraving.
Old October 5, 2015, 04:32 PM   #7
Virginian

I had a low cost Spanish SxS imported by Kassnar, if my memory is working right, way back in the 60s. Don't remember the manufacturer. Super light 20 gauge with straight stock and open chokes and it was quail killing machine. I fell down a hill with it and broke the stock at the wrist. It actually had pretty decent looking internals when I broke it down. Fixed it and refinished the stock and fore end and moved away from the quail hunting and sold it. Remember it fondly.