The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 3, 2011, 07:05 PM   #1
71Eagle

CZ SxS Shotguns

Anyone here have any experience with CZ SxS's? I have a hankering for a SxS but don't want to drop a lot of money into one. It would just be for shooting skeet or trap on a very limited basis, just for fun not competition or serious shooting. I already have my serious Browning O/U with tubes so again, this is just for something different to shoot on occasion.

If not CZ, any recommendations on other SxS's that don't break the bank?
Old August 3, 2011, 07:54 PM   #2
idek

I have no direct experience, but I've often heard that changes in the manufacturing process have made CZ shotguns built after 2007 more reliable/durable than those made previously, so if you get one, you may want to stick with newer models.
Old August 3, 2011, 08:07 PM   #3
oneounceload

What doesn't break the bank?

S&W Elite Gold, recently discontinued, is a reliable and well-built Turkish gun (NOT a Huglu). They are available from CDNN and others for around $1200 or so - available in 20 gauge, they are well built and originally sold for about $2500.

For other gauges, look for the same guns sold under the name John Dickinson and Son (a play on the well-respected name John Dickson and Son) Also made in the same UTAS factory, they were available in other gauges.

For used, look on places like GunsInternational.com for used models from Ugartechea, AyA, and others - these will be older ones, but typically in very good shape and very well-built.

AyAs that were built for Sears in the 50s and 60s are selling in the 250-400 range
Old August 4, 2011, 04:20 AM   #4
Slugo

CZ sideXsides are excellent guns...

I've shot the Bobwhite and the 30" long Classic Hammer gun, which by the way was used by a winning shooter at the last Vintage Cup. These are well liked shotguns and receive only positive reviews...
Old August 4, 2011, 06:12 AM   #5
Lawyer Daggit

I have owned a ZP 49E, ejector side lock since my 18th birthday (I am now 52).
It sees frequent shooting and, despite owning a Beretta ultralight and a Beretta sporting clays gun (which I also enjoy), it is my favourite field carry / bunny gun.

I have also owned a CZ BRNO combination gun in 7x57R x12 gua.

Neither has given me any trouble. In fact, Czech imports have been common in Australia since the 60's and I have never known anyone have a problem with a czech firearm.

I very much enjoy the side by side side lock. It is well made and has a fantastic balance.

My only criticism is that the choking while indicated as full modified is tighter than on an american gun.

Hope this helps.
Old August 4, 2011, 06:14 AM   #6
Lawyer Daggit

One other comment. Safety catches on Czech firearms work the other way round to American firearms, so beware.
Old August 4, 2011, 07:48 AM   #7
oneounceload

Quote:
In fact, Czech imports have been common in Australia since the 60's and I have never known anyone have a problem with a czech firearm.
Those BRNO-made guns, made where they were and when - ARE excellent guns. The current crop of CZ shotguns are made in Turkey and have had many issues over the recent years. While reportedly getting better, there is still room for improvement, with quality still somewhat "iffy" at the moment
Old August 4, 2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Lawyer Daggit

oneounce load- thanks for that- I was not aware that CZ had joined the rush to source Turkish made guns.
Old August 4, 2011, 06:35 PM   #9
maierar

I have a CZ Hammer Classic with which I'm very happy. I did have the stock modified to an English (straight) stock, as a pistol grip stock makes no sense to me on a double trigger gun. I also have a Galco removable recoil pad, as the butt plate is steel.
Old August 5, 2011, 03:02 AM   #10
Slugo

Nice gun...

The Hammer Classic is an outstanding gun. That new stock looks great. Nice...