The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2010, 12:44 PM   #1
crazyypilot

Need 45ACP reloading help

I got a kimber 1911 45ACP not to long ago and am looking at reloading I've been looking at the kits and there mostly workbench mounted at the momment I can't mount to a workbench so I am looking at handloading I'm new to reloading and wonder what kit to get and what I will need and price
Old March 29, 2010, 12:49 PM   #2
WillyBow8

Portable Loading Bench

I don't have one but have seen them, maybe at MidwayUSA. It looks like they allow you to mount at least a single stage loader and you can set up anywhere.
Old March 29, 2010, 12:58 PM   #3
BigJimP

You can mount most any loader to a 2" X 18" plank ....and then clamp the plank firmly to a portable work bench ( like the old WorkMate bench ).... or even to a couple of sawhorses.

I did that for years when I lived in apt's / before I moved into a house with a shop area.

Mount the loader to a bench / when you're done running your ammo - dump the powder back into a container, cleanup everything - and put a big pillow case over the loader ( put the loader up on a shelf out of the way). I did it years ago with a Dillon SDB loader ( but it could be done with a Dillon 550 or even a 650 )....as an example.
Old March 29, 2010, 01:02 PM   #4
rwilson452

reloading stand

Check this out at Midwayusa

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=155024
Old March 29, 2010, 01:08 PM   #5
spacecoast

Try the Lee Hand Press

I've been using a Lee Hand Press since November and have loaded over 2500 rounds with it. It works great, includes the ram prime for both small and large primers, uses all the same dies as the bench-mounted presses (good if you get a bench press later) and everything stores in a desk drawer. My total hardware investment to reload .38 special, .357 magnum, 9mm, .45 ACP and .380 ACP is well under $200. Another benefit is the ability to touch every round and really get a "feel" for what's happening in the reloading process, not to mention that problems get caught right away without a lot of waste. Highly recommended.

If you upgrade later, the hand press is still handy for taking to the range or for quick fixes on a few rounds without tearing down your bench setup.

Last edited by spacecoast; March 29, 2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old March 29, 2010, 02:42 PM   #6
zippy13

I have 4 progressive MECs, a Dillon and a sizer/lubricator and none are permanently mounted. They are all on 12" squares of particleboard. A 12 x 24+" particleboard rectangle serves as the base with a section of 1 1/2" ID galv pipe between two floor flanges bolted to the particle board. All you really need is one base and pipe column -- just swap the head units -- and much less costly than Midway's unit. I've reinforced the base board with an additional 12" square that I glued in place before bolting the floor flange. Today it's lovely in SoCal, and I'd much rather be doing my press work outside than tied to some work bench.

Old March 29, 2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Edward429451

When I was still in apt size place I found an old apt size Kit table that would fit in the clost with the press mounted and when I wanted to load I just took it out and into the LR for a night or two
Old March 29, 2010, 08:43 PM   #8
David_Clark

That's been my set-up for many years. Loaded over 6 digits worth of ammo.
Old March 29, 2010, 09:26 PM   #9
Valornor

If your anything like me your shooting sessions are going to run in the 100-200 rnd range if not more. I've got the lee hand press mostly for loading my larger rifle caliber rounds. Its great for de capping prior to cleaning. Get the universal decapper and you can sit infront of the tv and just prep cases for cleaning, its a great way to unwind. I do it for all my cases.

However if your loading for any kind of volume it will take you awhile with a hand press. I'm waiting for the .30 carbine shell plate holder to come in the mail for my Lee 1000 Progressive press, so just for kicks I loaded about a hundred rounds with the hand press and it took several hours.

About a month ago I with my tax returns I invested in some reloading equipment. I live in an appartment and don't have a workbench or anthing to mount to. I bought a 4x4x3/4 shop oak and had them cut it in half. Drill the holds for the press and counter sunk the the bolts on the back then put some half round along the outside and coated the whole thing in poly. I mounted the press to the board and use those easy clamps to clamp it to our granite counter top. Not only does it function good it looks nice and its easy to clean up spills.

If you serious about reloading go with the Lee Progressive set up for the .45. They rund about 170ish at Cabela's. I don't use the case feeder or the bullet feeder and I can do about 150-200 rounds an hour for .40s&w. Its not as cheap as a hand press but your also not going to break the bank for the hornady or RCBS loader either.
Old March 31, 2010, 05:49 AM   #10
sourdough44

When I was in an apartment I set up with my press on a sturdy 'end table' deal. I drilled & bolted it right on. It would sit a little low but just sit on a short chair or 5 gal bucket. You could maybe find a sturdy cheap one at Goodwill & other 2nd hand stores.
Old April 3, 2010, 10:36 AM   #11
crazyypilot

Ok so I'm set on the lee hand press what else will I need to load 45 acp with the lee hand loader and should I buy a loading book or just go to YouTube to learn how to reload
Old April 3, 2010, 11:16 AM   #12
Edward429451

Books are always better than Bubba
Old April 3, 2010, 01:30 PM   #13
Slamfire

Harbor Freight workbench, maybe $20.00

Home Depot cut plywood top and bolts, maybe $10.00

2X4 replacement for busted cheap sheet metal brace, free. Bolts extra.

Old April 4, 2010, 12:41 AM   #14
Dave R

I've done the "c-clamp your press to the kitchen table when you need it" thing and it works fine. Now, I "permanently" mount my press on a 1ft length of 1X6, and then clamp that to my workbench with big c clamps. Very sturdy. But very portable. Combine that with the bench above, and you'll have a solid, portable setup that'll go with you when you move.
Old April 6, 2010, 06:26 PM   #15
crazyypilot

Getting the lee handloading kit

Other then the kit that was recomended and in a pic above what else do I need to reload I have nothing i also need an easy way to identify my cases at the range when done shooting
Old April 6, 2010, 08:06 PM   #16
chris in va

In this case I would highly recommend you try and find someone to 'mentor' you about reloading, or find a local reloading class.

Good luck with identifying your fired cases. If the range allows, just pick up everything that looks like it would be 45 and sort it all out when you get home.

I use a Lee Hand Press, works reasonably well. I can reload just about anywhere, no need for a bench.

Before buying anything else, I read countless articles on reloading and studied up on the procedure. A good reloading manual such as my Lyman gives decent instructions.

Much of my equipment is used, like my old Redding beam scale. It works perfectly even after 60 years of use (or age).
Old April 6, 2010, 09:49 PM   #17
Unclenick
Staff

SOP is to take colored Sharpies or broader Magic Markers and put your own color pattern of stripes or half round solid or whatever on the head of each case.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 6, 2010, 10:59 PM   #18
grubbylabs

Reloading book, is a must.

Powder measuring devise, you may like the dipper cups.
You can also cut a case down so that it will only hold the right amount of powder. Just wrap a piece of wire around the rim for a handle and you have a homemade dipper cup.

Scale, you should have a scale. I have used a balance beam scale for the past 5 or 6 years and it works just fine for me.

Good Luck.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)